Looking to buy - Blink Shortbus w/letter of hope!

Hellwing

On 2/26/2018 at 9:28 PM, Kevin. said:

the only ones that are rare are the original blue and black pressings. same with the original black and yellow lemmings records. you can tell which ones are original because the name of the pressing plant (Golden) is etched in to the matrices. the represses were done somewhere else and won't say "Golden." just ask the sellers to check that before buying. 

the first pressing of uranus is black. the first pressing of lemmings is a creamy, opaque yellow.

just noting this as both the first and second pressings carry "golden."

On 2/28/2018 at 2:25 PM, daveyjones said:

the first pressing of uranus is black. the first pressing of lemmings is a creamy, opaque yellow.

just noting this as both the first and second pressings carry "golden."

good to know. i've always assumed they were all part of the same initial run and discogs.com (which is usually accurate with pressing info) suggests the same.

but it wouldn't wouldn't be far fetched to think that they had all of them pressed at the same time and released on different dates. it costs way more money to press smaller quantities. a lot of labels order different variants up front and then claim they're separate pressings when they're in fact from the same initial order. 

52 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

but it wouldn't wouldn't be far fetched to think that they had all of them pressed at the same time and released on different dates.

it would not be far fetched. it would, however, be incorrect. a lot of labels order different variants up front and then claim they're separate pressings refers to the vinyl industry of the 2010s. not to the indie industry of 1995 and 1996, at a small local label, with no money. cargo only did first pressings because that's all the money they had. as someone who personally bought both uranus and lemmings  at blink shows in 1996, i can attest to this.

the second pressings of both were post dude ranch, FYI.

@daveyjones would you mind posting photos of the first pressings if possible for reference? Or anyone else who is confident they have first presses I'd like to see them for reference, and specifically know where this "GOLDEN" text is in case I come across one.

I know there is a "Blink Vinyl" thread on here somewhere, but to go along with the "historical documentation" type threads we're working on (Comprehensive Timeline/Signature Study/etc.), a nice thread with all vinyl pressings/years/variants/release dates/etc. would be a great reference point if anyone is knowledgeable enough to put that together! These are the type of threads that will help people stumble upon the site IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 12:21 AM, Feeling_This_1 said:

There must have been a lot of TCTCU pressed originally because they have such little value. They're from 1996 but are barely more expensive than one from 2010-2014

The ones from 1996 used to go for well over $100. It wasn't until the second wave of printings that they became worthless to people.

4 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

@daveyjones would you mind posting photos of the first pressings if possible for reference? Or anyone else who is confident they have first presses I'd like to see them for reference, and specifically know where this "GOLDEN" text is in case I come across one.

i have them in frames, but i might be able to get around to taking them out for photos in a couple weeks. both can be verified as reliable specimens of the first pressings.

• Like 1