Has Alkaline Trio gotten the Blink 182 bump?

_Kyle_

I'm on the alk3 FB group. I think it has a teensy bit but ultimately anyone in pop punk circles would know both, I wouldn't argue there's been a significant leap.

I think if they release a new record soon and we can compare sales to My Shame Is True we'd have a better idea.

I can't really say it has either in my own estimation. I had thought that a lot of younger kids would be into them now that blink has always had a foot in that crowd. I wonder what age the kids who go to their shows now are.

It's kinda hard to say since they really haven't put out anything new, and have only had a handful of limited ticket shows. I know personally I have become a big fan and would definitely go out of my way to see them in concert, whereas before they weren't even a blip on my radar. Matt's gained like 100k followers since joining Blink so I would think his increased "following" on social media alone would translate to some sort of minor boost on his next Alk3 or solo release. 

You gotta think, how many Blink fans cared about AVA or +44? Maybe 5-10%, if that? So I'd guess around the same % may sorta care about Alk3 now.

I don't think they have. Young kids who get into their music because of blink-182 they probably would have listened to them anyway sooner or later. I think they still have the same fans and nothing has changed. The new album will be very anticipated but it's just because alkaline trio fans are not used to have the band on a big break like this one. 

Well, the only thing that's changed is that we have a generation of kids who know Matt Skiba as the guy from blink and not Alkaline Trio.

• Like 2

No way. I don't think AK3 shares the same audience as blink, not at least now. Sure, AK3 is considered punkpop by lots of people (specially after albums like From Here To Infirmary) but nah. They never really shared audicences or 'scene'. I can't see a huge raise in interest due to blink. Sure lots of people checked out what the hell that weirdo Skiba did before joining blink, but nothing more.

Well, unless they go in full Feldy mode and do a California 3 under AK3 name.

Well they did tour together and were literally on the same comps, same magazines like Alt Press, same shows like Steven's Untitled Rock Show, etc. I would say they occupy similar scenes. Blink just had huge success and were broader in their version of pop punk.

20 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Is an album officially in the works for them?

Nope, there are speculations about it just because blink is inactive at the moment but they haven't got into the studio, they just played a couple of shows at the end of December. 

Dan probably has some tunes ready but I'm not so sure about Skiba. 

18 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Is an album officially in the works for them?

A little over a month ago Matt said in this interview that he, Dan, and Derek were writing Alkaline Trio stuff (4:00 mark):

And then Dan said recently "It feels like the wheels are turning to get this thing going again."

https://www.altpress.com/news/entry/alkaline_trio_new_music_2018_vinyl_past_live

That's about all we got so far. When I asked Matt last summer how he balances writing for Blink & Alk3 he said that he is either 100% in on one or the other, as it's not fair to balance them. So for him to say he's writing for Alk3 right now, that definitely seems like Blink is on the back burner and a new Trio album is up next IMO.

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

A little over a month ago Matt said in this interview that he, Dan, and Derek were writing Alkaline Trio stuff (4:00 mark):

And then Dan said recently "It feels like the wheels are turning to get this thing going again."

https://www.altpress.com/news/entry/alkaline_trio_new_music_2018_vinyl_past_live

That's about all we got so far. When I asked Matt last summer how he balances writing for Blink & Alk3 he said that he is either 100% in on one or the other, as it's not fair to balance them. So for him to say he's writing for Alk3 right now, that definitely seems like Blink is on the back burner and a new Trio album is up next IMO.

Oh well, that's great. Maybe they'll release at least an EP at some point this year, but, after that, I don't think they'll have the time to do some proper tours all over the world like they used to because Matt will have to get back to blink. 

He looked kinda stoned during that interview haha

19 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Well they did tour together and were literally on the same comps, same magazines like Alt Press, same shows like Steven's Untitled Rock Show, etc. I would say they occupy similar scenes. Blink just had huge success and were broader in their version of pop punk.

Yeah, and with New Found Glory. And they appeared on those places as tons of other bands which appeared on those same comps, magazines and all. They were featured too on the Warped Tour, along with bands like Good Charlotte and all... but I didn't see them like sharing the punkpop scene those bands were into.

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Yeah, and with New Found Glory. And they appeared on those places as tons of other bands which appeared on those same comps, magazines and all. They were featured too on the Warped Tour, along with bands like Good Charlotte and all... but I didn't see them like sharing the punkpop scene those bands were into.

Alkaline Trio was always this band that was too raw for the blink/NFG crowd, but too polished for the kids with Anti-Flag patches. Overlooked like a musical middle kid which is a shame because they have some really solid albums. Their 1st four albums are all fantastic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elisa said:

Alkaline Trio was always this band that was too raw for the blink/NFG crowd, but too polished for the kids with Anti-Flag patches. Overlooked like a musical middle kid which is a shame because they have some really solid albums. Their 1st four albums are all fantastic.

Can't agree more.

I really love a few Alkaline Trio songs like Cooking Wine, Radio, Stupid Kid, Armageddon, a few others, but I could never really even get through an entire album. Just not enough flavors to their sound or something. I prefer Skiba's work in Alk Trio more than his work in Blink, but I was never really much of a fan even though I was very into the late 90s/early 00s punk world. Other than several incredible songs their catalog in general just never grabbed me.

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

They did have Jerry Finn as well.

Yeah, on Good Mounrning (which has an horrendous EQ and mastering) and Crimson. They both sound pretty different to blink, TBH.

Finn had that: he produced tons of bands and he just was able to produce different sounds.

• Like 1