Breakdown of all the small things

Knapppers

Ive never seen this video posted on here before and I didnt want it get lost in GD so i made a topic. 

This guy breaks down why All The Small Things is so great (in his opinion). He kinda dives pretty deep into a very simple song but I think its pretty cool. I for one have never heard that little keyboard thing in the chorus he talks about but its pretty cool. I think these little things are the little nuances that Jerry Finn added to this band and what makes the album so much proffesional and big. Check it out. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, knapton said:

Ive never seen this video posted on here before and I didnt want it get lost in GD so i made a topic. 

This guy breaks down why All The Small Things is so great (in his opinion). He kinda dives pretty deep into a very simple song but I think its pretty cool. I for one have never heard that little keyboard thing in the chorus he talks about but its pretty cool. I think these little things are the little nuances that Jerry Finn added to this band and what makes the album so much proffesional and big. Check it out. 

This was really cool. I love videos like this.

Jerry Finn was amazing.

It's really cool to see the little secrets to 'why' it sounds so catchy and amazing to our ears.  Little nuances like the keyboard in the backing track and in his follow up episode, the full chords on the bass make it pop more.  You don't notice it unless you are stripping the track apart like he is here.

Finn was ahead of his time.

I sometimes think that most people on here (myself included) worship Jerry Finn too much. Like hes just the producer, he only helps them kinda write songs. But then you see stuff like this and it truly is like he was the 4th member of the band. I can only imagine the wizardry he did on the untitled record. 

• Like 2

Awesome video. I noticed a lot of things after decades of listening to the song, but it was still great to learn about all those tiny little touches.

It's no secret that Jerry Finn's production had more depth and details than Feldmann. I hope the Feldmann fanboys check this video out to see why so many of us prefer the Finn era of Blink. 
There's a lot of cool stuff you don't notice right away in his work. Like the organ in the intro to Wendy Clear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clarkerpes said:

Awesome video. I noticed a lot of things after decades of listening to the song, but it was still great to learn about all those tiny little touches.

It's no secret that Jerry Finn's production had more depth and details than Feldmann. I hope the Feldmann fanboys check this video out to see why so many of us prefer the Finn era of Blink. 
There's a lot of cool stuff you don't notice right away in his work. Like the organ in the intro to Wendy Clear.

Ive always loved that. Wendy Clear i think is my all time fav blink song and that plays a big part in it. That song sounds huge. 

Also, I really dont want to start a feldman vs finn debate. I think even the California lovers wouldnt even try to argue that Feldman is on the same level as Jerry. 

5 hours ago, knapton said:

I sometimes think that most people on here (myself included) worship Jerry Finn too much. Like hes just the producer, he only helps them kinda write songs. But then you see stuff like this and it truly is like he was the 4th member of the band. I can only imagine the wizardry he did on the untitled record. 

I was in a band with 4 other dudes. I can tell you that our recording engineer was absolutely a staple in the album he produced for us. I think Jerry Finn played a much larger role than most of us imagine. Blink was in the studio with this guy constantly, crafting ideas and sounds. It's really a bummer that he passed so soon.

if anything, i wish we could see how responsible finn was for how their post-DR music came out. because some of it is obviously pretty next-level poppy, while a lot of it feels like a natural progression, songwriting-wise. i'd be inclined to give blink a little more of the credit. while finn probably guided the song along the way and toyed with its structure, it's important to remember it's still tom's song. and i always thought the simple as hell keyboard parts roger manning would add to blink (first date, always come to mind) were very important! if anything, i see the success of ATST to be a big group effort than our lord and savior jerry finn. 

similarly, feldy's not 100% to blame for what we're getting now. mark and matt are still choosing to write/record these parts.

Jerry Finn knew his shit pretty well. You can like more or less his work on some albums, but the guy was amazing. He was a modern producer with a 'old fashioned producer' kind of foundation, so to say. I can hear lots of references on the way he shaped some harmonies, even years later in Feeling This.

The guy is really far away from wannabes like Feldmann.

• Like 1

It really depends producer to producer, though. That's whats special about Jerry Finn. I've been 'produced' on and off by a lot of different people - some paid attention to detail, had some real input and gave ideas and coached you - others just essentially record you and make it sound like their version of 'normal', some try to mould it to sound completely different to what you want, others show you what it could become but depend on your own opinion and input.

I have an EP coming out soon and it's the first time I've been with a producer who actually 'gave' something to the songs. like the songs are still all mine writing wise and I did the majority of the performances, but he added subtle piano parts and other doubled up guitars that just brought life to areas in songs I never considered - and he had a very 'only if you like it' kind of attitude. It sounds like me, and the songs sound right, but there is an extra magic to them thanks to him. 

Good producers can be incredibly integral but like Boxelder says, blink do deserve credit as well - we don't know how much of this was Finn or the bands own ideas - I'd actually bet a lot of the harmony choices were the bands. 

• Like 2