Ry-Bread

Blink-182 Signature Study

10 hours ago, Olidamus said:

still blows my mind that there are like next to no enema band signed albums out there.

It's absolutely crazy. I've been compiling exemplars for 5+ years and have never seen ONE nice EOTS signed by all 3 on the front in that time period. And I look all over, tagged photos, hashtags, mentions, etc. If you do find EOTS signed from that era, it's usually just 1 or 2 of them, and sometimes they signed the back or in weird spots. Even TOYPAJ/Untitled are very rare to find signed in full. TOYPAJ they did some mall signings and promo stuff so those pop up occasionally (usually signed on the back). But with Untitled you'll usually just see the promo 12" poster and that's about it.

You would think when they blew up in 1999 there would be countless Meet & Greets/signings/etc. But I guess they got so big so quick that they didn't really have to, and any meet & greet stuff was out of contractual obligation for that particular show or festival, likely with some sort of "no autographs/photos" type of clause. I mean even with the recent $250 "VIP" package you weren't allowed to ask for autographs... so when sellers are asking $300+ for fully signed items, you may think they are crazy, but all things considered it is actually THAT rare in most cases IMHO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

It's absolutely crazy. I've been compiling exemplars for 5+ years and have never seen ONE nice EOTS signed by all 3 on the front in that time period. And I look all over, tagged photos, hashtags, mentions, etc. If you do find EOTS signed from that era, it's usually just 1 or 2 of them, and sometimes they signed the back or in weird spots. Even TOYPAJ/Untitled are very rare to find signed in full. TOYPAJ they did some mall signings and promo stuff so those pop up occasionally (usually signed on the back). But with Untitled you'll usually just see the promo 12" poster and that's about it.

You would think when they blew up in 1999 there would be countless Meet & Greets/signings/etc. But I guess they got so big so quick that they didn't really have to, and any meet & greet stuff was out of contractual obligation for that particular show or festival, likely with some sort of "no autographs/photos" type of clause. I mean even with the recent $250 "VIP" package you weren't allowed to ask for autographs... so when sellers are asking $300+ for fully signed items, you may think they are crazy, but all things considered it is actually THAT rare in most cases IMHO.

Interesting info! Thanks.

I knew they did a few signings for TOYPAJ, so it would make sense there are some of them. But other than that Blink was pretty much inaccessible. I saw them our tour a lot during the times and I know, they just weren't around.

There was a TOYPAJ signing near me and I remember some of the stories; the entire thing was a circus. Apparently people waiting for like 8 hours didn't even get in.

The lack of signed albums remind me a lot of The Beatles. There is very little there. For any given album, you can count on one hand the number of known signed copies. One album, there is literally no known signed copies. A Sgt Pepper album fully signed recently went for something like $350,000. There are only a couple of them that exist. Its interesting.

I think there's even an unofficial documentary of Blink showing Mark,Tom and Scott signing stuff in Australia back like in January 1998 or May 1998 (can't seem to find the footage in question)  

Even signing skateboards too !

I wish I could afford something signed by the three original members though 

Yeah I actually don't own anything signed by Scott, your best bet is those Dude Ranch posters, those pop up somewhat often. I'm out of wall space so I never make a run at those. The few times I've seen nice CDs signed that I would want from that era, they end up going for $225+. I've been tempted to sell some crap and go after that Wasting Time signed album, that thing belongs in a Blink museum.

Here's an amazing EOTS piece true to it's era I saw years ago, I believe this is a WMAA single or promo tape of some sort. It's so cool to me to think that Travis was still so new to this "famous" thing, that he was still figuring out how to sign:

ufyrBA1.png

• Like 1

Mark signing shirts during the Good Times tour back in December 1995 (1:02)

And that signing back in Australia in 1998 is featured in that Blink 182 Probed Unauthorized (unofficial documentary)

• Like 2

On 22.5.2018 at 3:36 PM, Ry-Bread said:

I actually own a signed EOTS booklet signed by Mark, Tom and Trav. I got Tom in 2011 (If I remember correctly) when he was signing with AVA in Cologne, Germany. I added Mark and Trav last year in Dortmund, Germany. Out of all of my like 30+ signed blink items this is one of my favorites. My favorite Album, met all of them in person and it took me like six years to finish it.

41410005845_fd99aae61c_c.jpg

Edit: I just read that you actually mean signatures from the same time period - my bad.

• Like 2

And right to my next question. What do you think about this one? there are not a lot of vintage blink signatures I own so I'm having a hard time to see if they're authentic, compared to the new ones. At least at first glance it looks good to me.

33248050_1899972796680681_1662450251073585152_n.jpg

• Love 1

@Huene awesome EOTS project, I bet you were stoked to finally complete that!!! I’m missing Tom on my TOYPAJ vinyl I hope to complete one day. (But yeah sigs from that period is what I was referring to as so scarce!)

That Dude Ranch poster is 100% authentic, that’s what I was referring to earlier when recommending an old school piece to look for at a decent price. They pop up somewhat often!

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

@Huene awesome EOTS project, I bet you were stoked to finally complete that!!! I’m missing Tom on my TOYPAJ vinyl I hope to complete one day. (But yeah sigs from that period is what I was referring to as so scarce!)

That Dude Ranch poster is 100% authentic, that’s what I was referring to earlier when recommending an old school piece to look for at a decent price. They pop up somewhat often!

yeah definitely. But now I'm missing Tom on like 9 Vinyls... (I made good use of the blink VIP packages on their last Europe tour) I hope he comes to Germany again someday. Otherwise I'm on vacation in the US next April... maybe I'll show up in some places haha. 

alright, thanks! 

That’s cool, Tom/Trav look fine but I’ve never seen Mark sign like that, did the person say all 3 were there? Almost seems like Tom or Trav Ghost signed for him.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 10:19 AM, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah I actually don't own anything signed by Scott, your best bet is those Dude Ranch posters, those pop up somewhat often. I'm out of wall space so I never make a run at those. The few times I've seen nice CDs signed that I would want from that era, they end up going for $225+. I've been tempted to sell some crap and go after that Wasting Time signed album, that thing belongs in a Blink museum.

Here's an amazing EOTS piece true to it's era I saw years ago, I believe this is a WMAA single or promo tape of some sort. It's so cool to me to think that Travis was still so new to this "famous" thing, that he was still figuring out how to sign:

ufyrBA1.png

Thats a cool one!

I saw the signed wasting time thing. Its hard to justify at that price though.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:24 PM, hendrvh said:

I actually own a signed EOTS booklet signed by Mark, Tom and Trav. I got Tom in 2011 (If I remember correctly) when he was signing with AVA in Cologne, Germany. I added Mark and Trav last year in Dortmund, Germany. Out of all of my like 30+ signed blink items this is one of my favorites. My favorite Album, met all of them in person and it took me like six years to finish it.

41410005845_fd99aae61c_c.jpg

Edit: I just read that you actually mean signatures from the same time period - my bad.

This is still really cool.

Its not all that important when it was signed. Yes, having something from the era is cooler from an autograph perspective. But since the stuff is so rare, even something from 2011 is quite the score. I certainly wouldn't turn it down over that if it was at auction.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:46 PM, Thibaut182 said:

Another example of a vintage Blink shirt signed by Mark,Travis and Tom !

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Something is funky about this.

I am not saying its fake, I just can't be confident buying this knowing that all 3 members signed it. Possible that one person signed for the others. You see this happen more often than you'd think.

dirty t-shirts are always suspicious. and most of them are fake, even if they look authentic. it's a lot easier to forge an autograph on fabric than on a smooth surface.

you don't go to a show wearing/bringing a blink tee with a blood stain on it. you throw that shit away and buy a new one. (even if you are a 14-year-old living in 1999, those t-shirts weren't that hard to buy.)

so if you meet the band you probaby hand them a new (or at least a clean) t-shirt to sign. and maybe you wear it afterwards, but the chances that it will look like a hobo's shirt is very low. you probably won't wear it every day for weeks, and you won't store it in your wardrobe after it gets smelly and dirty to wear it again every other week, your mom puts it in the washing machine. and once you wash a signed shirt, the signatures fade or get blurry.

the most logical explanation of the dirty shirts with high quality autographs is: easy money from ebay. instead of throwing out an old useless blink shirt, you fake the band members' signatures on it, and someone will buy it for $200.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

dirty t-shirts are always suspicious. and most of them are fake, even if they look authentic. it's a lot easier to forge an autograph on fabric than on a smooth surface.

you don't go to a show wearing/bringing a blink tee with a blood stain on it. you throw that shit away and buy a new one. (even if you are a 14-year-old living in 1999, those t-shirts weren't that hard to buy.)

so if you meet the band you probaby hand them a new (or at least a clean) t-shirt to sign. and maybe you wear it afterwards, but the chances that it will look like a hobo's shirt is very low. you probably won't wear it every day for weeks, and you won't store it in your wardrobe after it gets smelly and dirty to wear it again every other week, your mom puts it in the washing machine. and once you wash a signed shirt, the signatures fade or get blurry.

the most logical explanation of the dirty shirts with high quality autographs is: easy money from ebay. instead of throwing out an old useless blink shirt, you fake the band members' signatures on it, and someone will buy it for $200.

It depends, I do think Blink signed a lot of T shirts.

However, I can see your scenario too.

The problem with signing shirts is it effects the signature because the shirt tends to want to move as it is being signed. It won't be signed the same as something made of paper. It makes it hard to detect if something is real or not.

The shirt in question has real characteristics, and I'd say it is at least partially signed by the band, but there are also tons of things that are not typical. But it may be because its a shirt.

There was a shirt on the first page where it looks like the Mark and Tom autos are forgeries, however the Scott one is perfect, leading credence to it just not being typical.