Ry-Bread

Blink-182 Signature Study

252922_1937859379115_516314_n.jpg?_nc_ca

This is mine, unfortunately the marker pen they had wasn't working so well so Travis signed it with a new one while Mark e Tom's signatures were done with the other marker. 100% true though because they signed it in front of me in 2010. 

Tom said "I'm sorry we can't see the signature very well, you could tell people that we signed it in 1999 and it faded away" but then travis added the 2010 haha and a black tooth to Janine 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

the most logical explanation of the dirty shirts with high quality autographs is: easy money from ebay. instead of throwing out an old useless blink shirt, you fake the band members' signatures on it, and someone will buy it for $200.

If you are going to go through the trouble of forging a Blink item, why in the hell would you forge on a stinky pit stained shirt AND write "Sarah, See ya at the shows!" which instantly devalues it? Makes no sense, you'd be better off signing a piece of paper/ticket stub/$1 EOTS album from a used CD shop.

Also, if you are forging a Mark Hoppus signature, you would at least TRY to make it look like the person's signature...this is way off, which leads me to believe it is either:

A. Mark being super atypical
B. Non-maliciously ghost signed (i.e. Tom or Travis wrote his name because Mark wasn't there)

Most likely the latter IMO. "Sarah, see ya at the shows" appears to be done by Trav. There's no way a forger was able to nail Tom/Trav's signatures that closely, and then be that awful at Mark's. I would never buy this piece, but Tom/Trav are absolutely authentic IMO.

@Elisa That's an awesome story, even with faded signatures it doesn't matter because you were there and had that interaction. I love how Trav blacks out a tooth occasionally when he signs EOTS. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, and if you do just a bit of study on their signatures (just by looking at the first page of this topic), forgeries are pretty easy to spot, and its not at all easy to create good forgeries.

That is something that authentication services like PSA/DNA and JSA don't want you to know. If you go out, and do your research and establish known good signatures, and study them, it will be very hard for a forger to come along and fool you.

Sure, every once and awhile there are some that are tough, but on the tough ones, where you are unsure, its always a "don't buy". I have yet to encounter a known forger who can nail an autograph. It either has clear signs of hesitation in it or its just really bad.

Yup, cool "Tom Blink" example. He stopped signing that way shortly after. Hadn't seen that promo before until I saw this one a few weeks ago, I hope there's a Mark one out there.

So just to point some handwriting stuff, even though signature styles may change, certain characteristics can still show. This is what is always fascinating to me, these were signed 10 years apart, and yet you'll still see the same exact traits/"flips" of the pen/shape formations here and there. It is stuff like this that forgers NEVER get right, with accurate speed. 

87A37dL.png

Same exact flicks on the "T", and same overall shape on that bottom part of the B and D. Neat stuff for nerds like myself.

• Like 3

Shit is pretty cool.

People can study your entire personality based solely on your signature. Do you guys know anything about that?

Doesn't surprise me, I always enjoy the "story" they can tell of a person's career/confidence/surroundings,etc.

Even with Blink you could see their personalities in their signatures. For example, Tom's was always pretty sloppy, inconsistent, a bit manic, eventually signing a "T" or "TD" at the height of his popularity showing how little he cared, flying through what needed to be done to get it over with. Mark on the other hand was always writing a full signature to please the fans, always consistent, always pretty neat. Trav's started small, unsure of how to sign as if he was shy, then over the years got flashier and flashier.

It really is as unique as a fingerprint which is what is interesting, I've studied a lot of baseball players and it's pretty crazy how I can tell what year it is by how someone wrote a word lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Although Trav on Scott's stuff drives me nuts, this is a really cool piece. Trav's still trying to figure out how to sign, if you look at just the "t" it is basically the same as his shortened signature he used later on, and he's starting to flow it together. Even the "S" looks like a 5 which his S's often look that way to this day!

• Like 1

This is a cool authentic Neighborhoods Era piece at a decent price considering how rare stuff signed by Tom/Mark/Trav is. eBay has 20% off site wide today, so if you talk him down a bit you can also get a decent discount:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/blink-182-signed-photo-promo-autograph-tom-delonge-rare-mark-hoppus-travis/223000872719?hash=item33ebe3470f:g:6nwAAOSwxUtbEUYQ

• Like 1

On 22/05/2018 at 4:20 PM, Thibaut182 said:

And that signing back in Australia in 1998 is featured in that Blink 182 Probed Unauthorized (unofficial documentary)

Finally found some pictures of that signing !

tumblr_meivgc6sKn1rvx3wro3_250.png

tumblr_meivgc6sKn1rvx3wro1_250.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

Finally found some pictures of that signing !

tumblr_meivgc6sKn1rvx3wro3_250.png

tumblr_meivgc6sKn1rvx3wro1_250.png

Huh, interesting, these aren't the pics I was thinking of.

There are actually some where they are signing and you can actually see the autographs (which is always cool). Let me see if I can find it.

• Like 1