Ry-Bread

Blink-182 Signature Study

6 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah totally agree, if Trav hadn’t signed on top of Tom, and Mark’s wasn’t crazy rushed, I would consider it if cheap enough just as an “early signatures” piece. (And mostly just an early Travis piece) But I probably wouldn’t even go over $50 on it.

If it was a nice bold one with Scott, it’d be a whole different story. (And again it shocks me how few full blink signed albums from pretty much any era ever pop up)

Yeah, I agree.

I also think its strange that there aren't more signed albums. Especially Enema. Generally bands do most of their signing when they are in the "sweet spot" of being popular enough to have people want stuff signed but not too popular that they aren't accessible. Enema was kind of it. But in terms of signed Enema albums, there is virtually nothing. I guess perhaps because it didn't last that long.

An example of this with another group are the Beatles; the majority of their signed stuff in from 1963. Where they were big, but not too big. Once they came to America in 1964, it was done. There are a few albums they did where there are actually no signed examples. Not a thing.

• Like 1

Yeah it’s really interesting, they went from barely being asked and probably just signing some shirts after shows at the merch booths and random promo posters for Dude Ranch, to so massively popular you can’t even accommodate an organized “signing”. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

But in terms of signed Enema albums, there is virtually nothing.

fans who got it signed in 99 have likely held on to it, which is why you don't see them offered much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daveyjones said:

fans who got it signed in 99 have likely held on to it, which is why you don't see them offered much.

Ehhh maybe to a certain extent, but it’s still way more rare than it should be IMHO. (Like literally I can count the full band 99-00’ EOTS signed CDs I have ever seen on one hand. Not for sale, just SEEN) There’s always friends/parents who get dragged to those kinda things who shouldn’t want those by now. Or even just more people showing them off that I would see.

It just didn’t seem like there were any organized signings for EOTS, and M&Gs during that time either couldn’t get stuff signed or ended up with a promo photo/poster. At least TOYPAJ had some promo wristband events for the album launch but even those are rare.

Davey do you recall what the signing habits were like during Cheshire/Dude Ranch days? Would they all 3 be readily available after their set at the merch booth signing whatever? Did people tend to get t-shirts signed or just didn’t care about autographs at the time? 

Over 15 million copies of EOTS sold worldwide, insanely popular at the time with tons of touring at the time...and with over 7+ years of compiling this stuff pretty much every day, these are the only 5 EOTS signed CDs I have ever seen from 99/00 era with all 3 members:

NcpUUdQ.png

Only the top left was for sale (I own it), the others were just being shown off. That is insane. And I search all over for this stuff. (Sales/social media tags/keyword searching/multiple requests on reddit/here/etc.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Davey do you recall what the signing habits were like during Cheshire/Dude Ranch days?

sure. in the CC days most people just didn't care. at all. this was the punk club scene. to want an autograph was to suggest an artist was a "rock star" and that was something that was actively opposed. in fact, i was embarrassed to ask scott and mark to sign my short bus when i bought it at a show merch table, and they thought it was odd too; mark laughed about it "sure, save it, maybe it'll be worth something someday." the whole idea was a joke.

i'm sure by the time of dude ranch, when they were doing radio promotion and stuff, it became more common and more orchestrated.

at least on the warped tour 97, tom and mark could still be found at their own merch table. not so much from 98 on.

at warped tour 99 there was a little meet n greet tent, and you just kind of lined up and hung out. that's where my profile pic was taken, and why mark looks so surprised. he was like "dude, i haven't seen you in like over a year. we have this big album out now, can you believe it? did you see the video on MTV, we're running naked?"

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2019 at 9:00 AM, Ry-Bread said:

Over 15 million copies of EOTS sold worldwide, insanely popular at the time with tons of touring at the time...and with over 7+ years of compiling this stuff pretty much every day, these are the only 5 EOTS signed CDs I have ever seen from 99/00 era with all 3 members:

NcpUUdQ.png

Only the top left was for sale (I own it), the others were just being shown off. That is insane. And I search all over for this stuff. (Sales/social media tags/keyword searching/multiple requests on reddit/here/etc.)

Is this the most rare in terms of getting all 3 together? I was able to get my Untitled vinyl signed by all three on separate occasions (Travis @ Transplant show, Mark @ blink show, Tom @ AVA show)

Would be interesting to know which era would have been the most rare to have them all sign at the same. 

5 minutes ago, Dook said:

Is this the most rare in terms of getting all 3 together? I was able to get my Untitled vinyl signed by all three on separate occasions (Travis @ Transplant show, Mark @ blink show, Tom @ AVA show)

Would be interesting to know which era would have been the most rare to have them all sign at the same. 

If looking for the rarest signed by all 3 in the correct time period, would probably be EOTS or Untitled era...which is mind blowing when you consider this was their prime.

In terms of seeing full band signed stuff signed at the same time in the correct time period, it's basically:

Cheshire: very rare, as they weren't big, but were readily available to sign at the merch booth (But as Davey alluded, it wasn't really cool to get stuff signed in that scene)
Dude Ranch:  rare, but still readily available to sign at merch booths and approachable. Typically see signed shirts from this era, and the Dude Ranch promo posters
EOTS extremely rare, which is shocking given how much touring they were doing and how big they were. You really don't see jack shit signed from 99'-00' often.
TOYPAJ: Halfway common (keep in mind that any full band signed blink stuff back in the day is overall quite rare), but they at least did some mall signings and promo for the launch of TOYPAJ, so you'll see CDs somewhat often (usually signed on the back)
BCR: Extremely rare, though they did do some promo mall/CD store signings
Untitled: Extremely rare, probably even more rare than EOTS. Keep in mind, the band was starting to not get along at this point so you would basically never run into all 3. (You'll see some concert posters signed occasionally but as far as official "Untitled" cd/promo art/etc. basically nothing...)

To put things in perspective up to this point, other than TOYPAJ, I don't think I have more than ~10 examples of full band signed CDs from any of these eras.... which is insane. Let's continue:

+44: Halfway common, they did plenty of promo/store signings so these signed CDs will pop up fairly often. Obviously they are a small niche band which will naturally be harder to find the stuff.
WDNTW: Common, lots of pre-orders end up available and they had M&Gs
I-EMPIRE: Fairly rare, typically done at AVA M&Gs but they do pop up
LOVE: Halfway common from AVA M&Gs tour
LOVE 2: Halfway common from AVA M&Gs on tour/store signings (Typically has Ilan on them as he toured the album, Atom had left even though he did the drums on it)
Give The Drummer Some: Halfway common, Trav had some signed pre-orders available and a couple store signings
Neighborhoods: Rare, signed CDs are pretty rare and you usually only see the pre-orders /182 signed by all 3. Though you will see signed concert posters halfway often.
DED: None. No physical release, only the signed X-mas posters are from this era
Tom's Demos: Basically none, no signed copies were available at launch. (Only the signed vinyl later on through a TTS "Vinyl Day" special)
TDW: Basically none, the pre-order vinyl came with a 12x12 of Poet Anderson signed, not the vinyl cover. They also didn't tour...so this is pretty much impossible to have both Ilan/Tom on from 2014.
California: Common, pre-orders of the signed CD/vinyl/drumhead are readily available. Also tons of M&G opportunities on this tour (though they typically didn't allow autographs)
California DLX: Halfway common, Banquet had them sign quite a few which pop up somewhat often
NINE: Extremely rare, no signed bundles available, and no tour. Banquet had Matt/Mark sign ~20 vinyl but no Trav. I have seen 2 full signed vinyl, and 0 full band signed CDs!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

If looking for the rarest signed by all 3 in the correct time period, would probably be EOTS or Untitled era...which is mind blowing when you consider this was their prime.

In terms of seeing full band signed stuff signed at the same time in the correct time period, it's basically:

Cheshire: very rare, as they weren't big, but were readily available to sign at the merch booth (But as Davey alluded, it wasn't really cool to get stuff signed in that scene)
Dude Ranch:  rare, but still readily available to sign at merch booths and approachable. Typically see signed shirts from this era, and the Dude Ranch promo posters
EOTS extremely rare, which is shocking given how much touring they were doing and how big they were. You really don't see jack shit signed from 99'-00' often.
TOYPAJ: Halfway common (keep in mind that any full band signed blink stuff back in the day is overall quite rare), but they at least did some mall signings and promo for the launch of TOYPAJ, so you'll see CDs somewhat often (usually signed on the back)
BCR: Extremely rare, though they did do some promo mall/CD store signings
Untitled: Extremely rare, probably even more rare than EOTS. Keep in mind, the band was starting to not get along at this point so you would basically never run into all 3. (You'll see some concert posters signed occasionally but as far as official "Untitled" cd/promo art/etc. basically nothing...)

To put things in perspective up to this point, other than TOYPAJ, I don't think I have more than ~10 examples of full band signed CDs from any of these eras.... which is insane. Let's continue:

+44: Halfway common, they did plenty of promo/store signings so these signed CDs will pop up fairly often. Obviously they are a small niche band which will naturally be harder to find the stuff.
WDNTW: Common, lots of pre-orders end up available and they had M&Gs
I-EMPIRE: Fairly rare, typically done at AVA M&Gs but they do pop up
LOVE: Halfway common from AVA M&Gs tour
LOVE 2: Halfway common from AVA M&Gs on tour/store signings (Typically has Ilan on them as he toured the album, Atom had left even though he did the drums on it)
Give The Drummer Some: Halfway common, Trav had some signed pre-orders available and a couple store signings
Neighborhoods: Rare, signed CDs are pretty rare and you usually only see the pre-orders /182 signed by all 3. Though you will see signed concert posters halfway often.
DED: None. No physical release, only the signed X-mas posters are from this era
Tom's Demos: Basically none, no signed copies were available at launch. (Only the signed vinyl later on through a TTS "Vinyl Day" special)
TDW: Basically none, the pre-order vinyl came with a 12x12 of Poet Anderson signed, not the vinyl cover. They also didn't tour...so this is pretty much impossible to have both Ilan/Tom on from 2014.
California: Common, pre-orders of the signed CD/vinyl/drumhead are readily available. Also tons of M&G opportunities on this tour (though they typically didn't allow autographs)
California DLX: Halfway common, Banquet had them sign quite a few which pop up somewhat often
NINE: Extremely rare, no signed bundles available, and no tour. Banquet had Matt/Mark sign ~20 vinyl but no Trav. I have seen 2 full signed vinyl, and 0 full band signed CDs!

This is awesome. Yeah, that breakdown makes full sense. Really wished they had signed more copies of Nine. I also remember having one of those DED Christmas posters signed, but sold it because I could only ever appreciate it around Christmas time. Not something I hung up year round. 

Extremely happy with my signed Untitled vinyl and big Blink Bunny, but definitely wish they were signed during their respective times/eras. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dook said:

I also remember having one of those DED Christmas posters signed, but sold it because I could only ever appreciate it around Christmas time. Not something I hung up year round. 

Extremely happy with my signed Untitled vinyl and big Blink Bunny, but definitely wish they were signed during their respective times/eras. 

Yeah here is what I did with my X-mas poster since I couldn't get down with the huge X-mas thing year round, I know some disapprove of cutting up the poster but in this scenario it didn't matter to me. (And I think I have a 2nd poster somewhere)

ZHYtZzD.jpg

And yeah, while I would always prefer a piece signed in the correct era, it's still an amazing accomplishment to get them all 3 on anything...especially if you obtained them personally. The crazy thing is, I've actually seen more full signed Untitled vinyl (which would've been obtained somewhat recently, as vinyl didn't make it's comeback until long after the first hiatus), than full signed Untitled CDs from 2003/2004... that is nuts. 

The only thing I really try to avoid, is having too much time in between getting all the signatures. For example, say I found a Cheshire album signed by Tom/Mark from 1995... I would never want to add Scott to that in 2019. In most instances I try to avoid going more than a year or two at most, but I'm going to have to break my own rule if I want to add Tom to my TOYPAJ vinyl which just has to be done. I just don't like messing with the time stamp of the piece, but again beggars can't be choosers when trying to get these 3, it is so damn hard.

Here's a little clip of the hounds pouncing lol... I like how Trav instantly says "I'll sign one thing each." (Which is exactly how it should be handled IMO)

Grammy hounds, notice the old white guy get something signed and instantly pull out another...

On 11/22/2019 at 10:24 PM, daveyjones said:

sure. in the CC days most people just didn't care. at all. this was the punk club scene. to want an autograph was to suggest an artist was a "rock star" and that was something that was actively opposed. in fact, i was embarrassed to ask scott and mark to sign my short bus when i bought it at a show merch table, and they thought it was odd too; mark laughed about it "sure, save it, maybe it'll be worth something someday." the whole idea was a joke.

i'm sure by the time of dude ranch, when they were doing radio promotion and stuff, it became more common and more orchestrated.

at least on the warped tour 97, tom and mark could still be found at their own merch table. not so much from 98 on.

at warped tour 99 there was a little meet n greet tent, and you just kind of lined up and hung out. that's where my profile pic was taken, and why mark looks so surprised. he was like "dude, i haven't seen you in like over a year. we have this big album out now, can you believe it? did you see the video on MTV, we're running naked?"

This is so hard to imagine. 

1 hour ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

$120 for Travis to sign a drumstick.

LOL

Yeah, it's a bit overpriced but it's cheaper than most on eBay and coming straight from his store and not a random hound so you don't have to worry about authenticity/rushed crappy sigs. Would be a great gift, though ideally should be $75-$100 imo.

Btw here are some great "rushed" examples from Mark, these were signed literally during his DJ set in Australia last week:

vKqV18Z.jpg

chCNZZ2.jpg

TX2sQsj.jpg

Also, here are some Tom sigs from the past few days during M&Gs. Have seen a few tattoos which he'll seem to do no problem, and then one lady asked for a note which he did. Not sure if they have reconsidered their "no autograph" policy or if it's still hit and miss:

9wGhRht.jpg

GLzoK3F.jpg

His Tom Doodle is so friggin cool, would love one on a blink item.

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Signed by Tom/AVA peeps 12/14/19:

SCx5a45.jpg

JjZF8Ik.jpg

ZBgkjqt.jpg

PoYtaBS.jpg

sEG0r0T.jpg

0wTaKzJ.jpg

lzENo8N.jpg

AveOrQk.jpg

Awesome! So glad you got your toypaj completed!

• Love 1

Congrats Ry Bread

This is not a bad deal for a signed TOYPAJ from the correct era. Yeah, rushed Mark, yeah, signed on the back. But I am happy with mine. Plus this is a confirmed NYC tower records one, which to me makes it pretty special. That was kind of a historic day in Blink history. If I didn't already have one I'd snap this up in a heartbeat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Blink-182-TOYPJ-signed-cd-by-Mark-Hoppus-Tom-Delonge-and-Travis-Barker/293370022998?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D4837699e0c58408e89f495209f263d97%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D193131465904%26itm%3D293370022998%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A9cf19c5e-2025-11ea-b1d4-74dbd1806000|parentrq%3A0fa7c46f16f0a4cc349dbc74ffb7e74e|iid%3A1

• Like 1