Ry-Bread

Blink-182 Signature Study

Couple things to add:

1. 2018 Las Vegas VIP signed ticket. This only came with the highest tier VIP package for the Vegas Residency. Kinda sucks considering that package was $500+ IIRC, and it especially sucks when Trav signs the worst spot possible and uses his short sig (2nd pic)

OcXxFes.png

LNJWg60.png

2. Travis Barker signed Funko that was a part of a FSAS X-Mas package (Was halfway tempted, but then saw they were $75 and you're about to see why I am so glad I passed). If I paid $75+ shipping for this, I would be pretty bummed about the signature quality. This happens when either the surface is too slick for a sharpie (and you need a paint pen), or you just need to switch sharpies ASAP! Side Note: I'm not into Funkos but someone got me Mark/Trav for X-mas which was cool, still really weird they don't have a Matt or Tom?

B4yd5uy.jpg

Last, another hilarious forgery to learn from. These are awful attempts, but the funny part is the forger saw examples of Trav's "short sig" and assumed it was Tom... so instead of forging Tom, they forged Trav twice LOL. This is the type of junk that people slang on eBay often. Just laughable:

n77mJfM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@rexman182 no question authentic.

Here is an authentic WDNTW signed cd currently on eBay, it's overpriced, but what is cool about this is you can see the the very beginning stage of Tom's current "TD" signature. The way he connects these letters here evolved into his quick "TD" signature that he still uses

UsyPLUB.jpg

This evolved into this:

xb0IOZ5.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

@rexman182 no question authentic.

Here is an authentic WDNTW signed cd currently on eBay, it's overpriced, but what is cool about this is you can see the the very beginning stage of Tom's current "TD" signature. The way he connects these letters here evolved into his quick "TD" signature that he still uses

UsyPLUB.jpg

This evolved into this:

xb0IOZ5.png

Fake. 

Signatures have always been something I never understood ... I mean, I get the value in get an autograph. You were there, you met this person, here's a reminder of your experience. However, buying autographed stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. It's just a name (or squiggly line) on something with no real intrinsic value to you.

• Like 2

@rexman182 def authentic

8 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

However, buying autographed stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. It's just a name (or squiggly line) on something with no real intrinsic value to you.

It's not for everyone, and over many years of collecting I have found that pieces I "bought" don't hold near the sentimental value that pieces I got personally hold. Most stuff I just "buy" can be seen as investments really. But it is an undeniably huge market. Sports memorabilia/autograph market is valued at over 1 billion. 

People collect all types of stuff though, so it's whatever floats your boat. I think Funkos and hockey cards are dumb with no intrinsic value to me, but people love them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, rexman182 said:

@Ry-Bread What is the coolest signed blink/ava/ boxcar/ or 44 thing you own?

Ehh idk really. If my house was on fire and I could grab one thing from that collection, it would probably be my +44 signed vinyl. I never see any +44 signed vinyl (IIRC it was first released in 2010, and pressed again in 2015, so obviously after their 2006 marketing tour/appearances where 99.9% of +44 stuff got signed). And Trav/Mark both personalized it to me, which is super cool IMO. (I like to ask for personalizations when getting autographs, as I feel it assures the person I am not looking to resell it, and it makes it even more valuable to me!)

My 2013 Untitled VIP badge that Trav signed after the show is pretty sweet to me, that was the first time I met any member of the band so that was surreal.

Value wise, the Short Bus vinyl signed by Mark is probably the highest. Followed by the 2013 Untitled poster signed by all 3, and maybe the Neighborhoods CD signed by all 3 and numbered /182.

2 hours ago, rexman182 said:

@Ry-Bread What is the coolest signed blink thing you own?

mark and scott signed my short bus at the SOMA new years eve show '95. tom was in the bathroom.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

mark and scott signed my short bus at the SOMA new years eve show '95. tom was in the bathroom.

Surprised you never had Tom sign it at a different time. Did you just never feel like dragging it out to another show, or really didn't think about it?

I'm actually pretty anal about adding signatures to pieces and messing up the history/timeline. So for example I would be completely opposed to adding Tom to that today, but within a year or so of 95' it wouldn't have bothered me. I'd love to add Tom to my Short Bus/TOYPAJ signed vinyl, but if too much more time passes, I will not do it - even if given the opportunity. 

57 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Did you just never feel like dragging it out to another show, or really didn't think about it?

both these things. i mean, i'd have to risk that 7" in the pit, just to hope to catch tom at the merch table. and i just didn't think about it. i was just going to shows and hanging out. mark and scott signed it sort of as a joke; we were just having a conversation in between band sets at their merch table. it was very impromptu.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Ehh idk really. If my house was on fire and I could grab one thing from that collection, it would probably be my +44 signed vinyl. I never see any +44 signed vinyl (IIRC it was first released in 2010, and pressed again in 2015, so obviously after their 2006 marketing tour/appearances where 99.9% of +44 stuff got signed). And Trav/Mark both personalized it to me, which is super cool IMO. (I like to ask for personalizations when getting autographs, as I feel it assures the person I am not looking to resell it, and it makes it even more valuable to me!)

My 2013 Untitled VIP badge that Trav signed after the show is pretty sweet to me, that was the first time I met any member of the band so that was surreal.

Value wise, the Short Bus vinyl signed by Mark is probably the highest. Followed by the 2013 Untitled poster signed by all 3, and maybe the Neighborhoods CD signed by all 3 and numbered /182.

What would be the thing with Tom and/or Matt you would grab if you had 4 hands? Just curious. 

2 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

What would be the thing with Tom and/or Matt you would grab if you had 4 hands? Just curious. 

Ehh Tom would probably be the BCR signed cd personalized to me, or his demos vinyl where he drew on himself and looks like a pilgrim lol. 

Skiba would probably be California cd signed by all 3, or maybe the Crimson cd I had him sign personally. 

It's tough, I have too much stuff. (Have actually been downsizing my collection)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I'd love a Heavens vinyl signed by Matt in silver marker.

Do you have the vinyl? It's super rare, and just has a white sleeve, not the normal album cover (not sure if that changes your mind on getting it signed in silver). Goes for $100+.

I had a silver sharpie for him to sign my Heavens cd but he had already signed it in blue before I had a chance to hand him it... can barely see it now which sucks

ApWDAL9.jpg

Wow that's an amazing item. Some of the most amazing old school signed Blink stuff comes out of Australia, and they're usually asking a ton for it. All things considered, they are extremely rare, but I don't know many Blink collectors dropping $500+ on autos so they just sit on eBay forever.

Like that Wasting Time signed cd, I'd pay $150-$200 for that all day, but I'm not paying $500+.

So after years of compiling exemplars, I had never really seen Tom add the date in that time period like the above poster @Thibaut182 so that is such a rad example above... and just when I think that is as nice and OG as it gets, I find this:

xt0ugPt.jpg

Amazing examples, so cool to see at one point Tom did "Tom Blink-182" instead of just "Tom Blink" (Side note: It's kinda funny that even to this day Tom capitalizes Blink usually, and Mark never does). Again on this one, he added "'96". So for a very brief period in 1996 it looks like he added the date at times. Learn something every day!

• Love 1