Podcasts

Speedo

What podcasts do you guys listen to currently?

I basically bounce back and forth between Joe Rogan's (he has great guests), Ben Shapiro's (outside of a few topics I find that I agree with a lot of what he has to say), Gavin McInnes (I think he's fucking hilarious and entertaining) and Hardcore History (SUPER interesting and I love history - forever between episodes though).

• NPR's All Songs Considered
  • KEXP Song of the Day
  • NPR Politics podcast
  • On Point from NPR
  • Planet Money from NPR
  • the Daily from the NYT
  • The Future of What (a podcast about the music industry)
  • The New Washington from the NYT
  • Up First from NPR

This thread might be good to check out @Speedo:

• Like 1

Rogan is so different then he first started. Hes terrible now. He repeats the same shit all the time now and has such a skewed view on what real life is like for normal people. 

If you want something funny, your moms house is so good. Also Bill Burrs podcast is pretty good. If your into outdoors or hunting or land conservation the meateater podcast is great. 

I was listening to Welcome To Nightvale and The Black Tapes a while back - there both essentially based on the idea of a fictional radio station. Welcome To Nightvale is about a mysterious and weird town full of fucking weird shit, it's just a funny weird thing. they do tours as well, I saw one about two years ago it was.... well it was different anyway.

The Black Tapes is a series of mysteries. The set up is that this radio station is starting a new show segment, where they spend each episode dedicated to a weird and wonderful profession, they spend time with them and report on it essentially. in their first episode they follow a bunch of ghost hunters and they keep hearing about this man called 'Dr Strand' who heads the Strand Institute - they believe all paranormal sightings and such are bullshit and can prove it. they have a 1 million dollar prize for anyone who manages to prove them wrong. the presenter spends ages trying to get a hold of Dr Strand and eventually he agrees to meet for her show. She shows up at his office and he explains his spiel and his room is filled with white tapes and she's like "what are those?" and he's like "Closed cases. all of these are entries where we have proved there to be no supernatural activity" and in the corner she sees a small selection of black tapes and she's like "...so what are those?"

and he's like "Those are tapes we haven't solved...yet"

so they internal story abandons the different careers thing, teams up with Dr Strand and investigate the individual Black Tapes.

It's low budget, and cheesy, but fucking scary as hell in places. it's spooky as fuck, great for my morning commute haha. 

I don't really care about news podcasts or particularly talky ones - these story style ones are more interesting to me. However, I have started listening to HannahLYZEThis, which is Hannah Hart (youtuber) and her friend (also called Hannah) discussing different self help topics and whether they're just bogus. it's mostly silly personal back and forth but I find them adorable so it's easy listening. 

24 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I only really listen to sports podcasts to be honest, mostly football but I see a random one where a guest interests me I'll check it out. 

Flintoff, Sav and the ping pong guy we’ll worth a listen. Joey Barton got one out now too and Graham hunter has done a few good ones 

59 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Flintoff, Sav and the ping pong guy we’ll worth a listen. Joey Barton got one out now too and Graham hunter has done a few good ones 

I listen to:

Football Weekly
Totally football show
The Football Ramble

At home with Colin Murray is great when he has a good guest too.

• 11 months later...

I have fallen down another true crime hole, I'm addicted to the Casefile podcast right now. It's as eerie as it is excellent. The way it's delivered I have to remind myself that these are true stories affecting real people and not fiction to be enjoyed like a film. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I have fallen down another true crime hole, I'm addicted to the Casefile podcast right now. It's as eerie as it is excellent. The way it's delivered I have to remind myself that these are true stories affecting real people and not fiction to be enjoyed like a film. 

I will definitely have to give this a go 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I’ve been meaning to listen to them for a while I just haven’t got the time ?

• Like 1

I know, I always say that I never have the time to listen to podcasts but I started this one the other day at work and I realised I can also listen to a podcast on my 40 minute drive to work or even to put me to sleep (tip: probably don't listen to the Casefile right before going to bed thought ?)