Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

Can some producer tell me exactly how this Heavens song is going to sound based off those wavelengths and plug ins?

I ain't a producer but I do write my own shit and record it on pro tools. No idea how the song is gonna sound based on the plug-ins. The only way I'd guess how the song would sound is if Tom was still in the band and there would be some delay plug in on a guitar track. Then you know damn well it's probably gonna turn out like PLG or Disaster.

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I ain't a producer but I do write my own shit and record it on pro tools. No idea how the song is gonna sound based on the plug-ins. The only way I'd guess how the song would sound is if Tom was still in the band and there would be some delay plug in on a guitar track. Then you know damn well it's probably gonna turn out like PLG or Disaster.

Has there been any blink songs other than Disaster or PLG where Tom uses a delay effect?

11 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Can some producer tell me exactly how this Heavens song is going to sound based off those wavelengths and plug ins?

I can tell you how it'll sound without seeing those wavelengths and plug ins - 

it'll sound like shit. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jlx9 said:

Has there been any blink songs other than Disaster or PLG where Tom uses a delay effect?

Can't really think of any from the top of my head haha. I know GOTDF has similar chords in the verses but I think Tom is strumming all of that rather than using that delay effect. Same goes for the chorus in Wishing Well which has a similar guitar tone & chords to that riff in Disaster & Epic Holiday/Everything's Magic by AVA. Aside from them two songs, I don't think blink have used it.

But when Tom uses that delay effect, he does tend to play similar stuff. Valkyrie Missile & Do It For Me Now have similar delay patterns to each other. Only difference of them songs compared to PLG is faster delay patterns. The Gift is probably more closer to PLG with it's delay.

4 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Can't really think of any from the top of my head haha. I know GOTDF has similar chords in the verses but I think Tom is strumming all of that rather than using that delay effect. Same goes for the chorus in Wishing Well which has a similar guitar tone & chords to that riff in Disaster & Epic Holiday/Everything's Magic by AVA. Aside from them two songs, I don't think blink have used it.

But when Tom uses that delay effect, he does tend to play similar stuff. Valkyrie Missile & Do It For Me Now have similar delay patterns to each other. Only difference of them songs compared to PLG is faster delay patterns. The Gift is probably more closer to PLG with it's delay.

Yeah I considered GOTDF but I believe you can nail the riff without the delay. It sounds pretty dry in the song. 

It’s just ironic that we would complain about Tom bringing the AVA effects to blink when he really only did it in about 2-3 songs. The rest of them were just synth driven. 

PLG’s guitar riff is Tom’s best use of a delay pedal outside of The Adventure IMO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Yeah I considered GOTDF but I believe you can nail the riff without the delay. It sounds pretty dry in the song. 

It’s just ironic that we would complain about Tom bringing the AVA effects to blink when he really only did it in about 2-3 songs. The rest of them were just synth driven. 

PLG’s guitar riff is Tom’s best use of a delay pedal outside of The Adventure IMO.

Haha, yeah definitely. Count me as one of the few that loves all that delay shit in blink or AVA though. PLG is one of my favourite blink songs too. I like it on Chasing Shadows too. Just if Tom was still in the band and you knew blink was gonna have a delay effect on their guitar track of one of the new songs, you already get a rough idea of how the song might sound before you've even heard it but that's only because of Tom's playing style.

• Like 1

Cool, looking forward to June in general, Super Mario Maker 2 is gonna be my life for quite a while when that drops, new blink music could be the perfect companion for such a game.

• Like 1

Here's the full Billboard interview as well:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8498875/travis-barker-interview-blink-182-new-song

So the album is ~70% done. Let's go!!!

On being more like Untitled:

"I feel like [2016’s] California was similar to [1999’s] Enema of the State and [2001’s] Take Off Your Pants and Jacket: reestablishing the band, giving fans what they really want and expect from Blink. Now that we got that out of our system naturally, we’re not writing like that this time. It’s more experimental. "

I don't really care whether or not their comparisons are accurate, the good news to me is that we finally have a rough eta (April-June), and an update on progress (~70%)

Stuff like this should at least be encouraging for the Cali haters from a creative process perspective, at minimum:

"Where I look back at California, you could compare “Cynical” to other fast songs we’ve done. I could put “She’s Out of Her Mind” down as a brother-sister record to “Rock Show” or “First Date.” The songs on the new album don’t have any brothers or sisters. They don’t sound like anything we’ve done before. Songs on self-titled like “Feeling This” and “I Miss You,” I really feel like those didn’t sound like anything Blink had touched on before. I just know were doing that again. That’s exciting to me. "

• Like 3

I think we should be careful in what we wish for. Sure, it's good they're experimenting but remember the interview of Feldman when he kinda backtracked on blink trying to be experimental again. All the dude cares about is selling as many records as possible and getting bands to write pop hits with his co-writers. Blink are still using co-writers for this album. I just have a bad feeling that their idea of experimenting with shit they've never done before is some Fall Out Boy/ATL electronic pop shit.

• Like 1

I'm expecting it to be actual shit, so if it's slightly less than actual shit, I'll be happier than I was with California. 

But Travis's comments don't raise hope or appease me at all. They over hype stuff all the time like this. It's best to just never listen to it and let the music speak for itself when we hear it.

• Like 4

Last time blink said they were experimenting like "omg you wont even know who we are!" We got Bottom Of The Ocean.

Last last time blink said they were experimenting we got Los Angeles.

I'll pass 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Last time blink said they were experimenting like "omg you wont even know who we are!" We got Bottom Of The Ocean.

Last last time blink said they were experimenting we got Los Angeles.

I'll pass 

don't forget "the strangest song we've ever written" 6/8

• Haha 1