Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Studio yesterday, I believe it is "Henson" studio they are working at, not sure if Pharrell is based out of there or just popped in to help/produce:

acXgyHx.jpg

IzYQwcs.png

They've been in several studios, with several different people now. A weird approach I guess, but a lot better than cranking out songs in 30 minutes at Feldy's kitchen table IMO. 

too many cooks... 

I'll take too many cooks than one hyped up cook on crack flipping 100 artificial hamburgers in the back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

I'll take too many cooks than one hyped up cook on crack flipping 100 artificial hamburgers in the back.

I'm not saying I prefer one over the other. I'm saying they're both a bad idea. 

like juggling knives and juggling bowling balls. two very different things, but both will still injure you. 

• Sad 1

One thing California lacked was ideas...it was so repetitive across the board. I'm hoping at the very least it'll be interesting.

Only problem is that pop writers all collab constantly for radio hits and I don't care of the majority of it.

• Like 1

I'd say if you don't have a producer that can consitently pump out fresh ideas like Finn could you're much better off working with multiple producers. 

another thing we never mention regarding cali is how bloated it is. i’m not of the opinion that longer albums aren’t worthwhile — i think untitled proves that’s untrue just fine. but considering how similar and repetitive each song is, each employing the same gimmicks, it gets to be an exhausting listen. i can’t even make it through it.

that said, had the album cut six songs or so, i think it’d be a strong release weirdly enough. it’d capture that blockbuster comeback album vibe they were going for more succinctly. i just remember travis wanting as many songs as possible on the record to “give the fans more” after the lengthy hiatus, and it makes the album suffer. if i has to resequence the album it’d probably be like

cynical

BTD

SOOHM

los angeles

sober

built this pool

HISALP

san diego

TOTTM

hey im sorry

• Like 2

I re-listened California like two days ago. Mid-skipped two songs (The Only Thing That Matters and No Future), but hey, in the end, I like some parts on the album. The problem, as we've talked over this years, mainly is how noticeable Feldy's songwritting is in some parts, and the production, which ruins it all for me. But well, this has been said ad nauseam.

Anyway... I don't think having several producers on a record is a bad thing per se. "Back To Black", by Amy Whinehouse, is an example that comes to my mind. It was recorded in two separted studios, with two different producers who had different aproaches, but then it was mastered by one guy, who kind of glued the whole thing in terms of overall sound (although I'm not 100% aboard with the results, but is ok). The record flows.

46 minutes ago, boxelder said:

another thing we never mention regarding cali is how bloated it is. i’m not of the opinion that longer albums aren’t worthwhile — i think untitled proves that’s untrue just fine. but considering how similar and repetitive each song is, each employing the same gimmicks, it gets to be an exhausting listen. i can’t even make it through it.

that said, had the album cut six songs or so, i think it’d be a strong release weirdly enough. it’d capture that blockbuster comeback album vibe they were going for more succinctly. i just remember travis wanting as many songs as possible on the record to “give the fans more” after the lengthy hiatus, and it makes the album suffer. if i has to resequence the album it’d probably be like

cynical

BTD

SOOHM

los angeles

sober

built this pool

HISALP

san diego

TOTTM

hey im sorry

Yeah I think many have agreed a shorter album would have been better.  Not to mention Deluxe is just an extension.

I would go:

Cynical

Bored to Death

San Diego

Built this Pool

Long Lost Feeling

California

TOTTM

Last Train Home

Bonus: Hey I'm Sorry

I would definitely have at least enjoyed that and not felt all lost at hope. It really is bloated with all the No Futures, Rabbit Hole, Wildfire, etc

Eh I'm on the fence. @boxelder 's list is pretty legit, as I definitely agree that California/Rabbit Hole/Teenage Satellites/Brohemian can go away, but Left Alone is one of my favorites of this era... so it's hard and I understand Trav saying let's just get it all out there, especially with all the crap Blink fans have had to deal with in the previous 5 years.

Back in the day with physical copies/albums and minimal leaks/releases leading up to it, maybe a shorter compact album makes sense. But in today's world where half the songs are released before the official album launches, and the a la carte style of listening with random songs/playlists/streams, etc. I like bands giving us a bit more, even if it sucks, some people may dig it.

They could have cut a couple songs, like No Future and maybe Teenage Satellites. Definitely Hey I'm Sorry if you count that as part of the album.

But none of them are so bad that it's worth fretting over. It's not like we're dealing with a LID or FTG here.

California just keeps getting better. BRB- gonna go listen to TOTTM

I think had they decided to take time on California, songs like Bottom of the Ocean, Long Lost Feeling or whatever would've appeared on them too. California as a whole has enough songs for a very very good album. As I've said before, I've had to make my own playlist to get rid of 50% of trash that was on it. The other 50% are the ones I actually like listening to. Basically 10-11 songs out of around 26-27. That was my gripe with California. They used to be so consistent. Neighborhoods had the same problem too. Very inconsistent albums. Great songs and trash songs.

There were just no balance on either albums. Neighborhoods leaned one way and California leaned completely towards the opposite.

I just really disagree.

It's a bloated record for sure, but not a single song on either release holds a candle to most blink records tracks. you have some that are 'okay', none of them are at the same tier as a 'good' blink song. They're forgettable, interchangeable at best, and insulting and cringe-inducing at worst. If California tracks come up on shuffle I instinctively skip, because they're so fucking lame. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

the first few songs of the record really work for me. they don’t feel like blink in any way really, but they’re definitely catchy and hold their own to me. i just remember driving listening to it for the first time when it leaked and by like left alone i was like “what song are we on? is this the same song?”

I'm very alone in some of my opinions because I hate "She's Out Of Her Mind" more than most of California and DLX put together, and I still to this day do not remotely like Bored To Death or understand why anyone does. it's so fucking dull. 

I love BTD, but SOOHM was never anything special to me, other than the classic Mark bass intro and Trav crushing a few parts. Would love to hear the other choruses they were trying out before settling on that one. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You guys grew out of blink and that kind of music. It's okay!

Except that's not what it is. 

I still like other pop punk bands. Alkaline Trio released a great album just last year. it isn't much of a stretch from their releases from 15 years ago. and I still like it. 

This isn't "growing out of blink" this is "blink putting out a worse product". 

• Like 5