Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You guys grew out of blink and that kind of music. It's okay!

Nah, still love Enema and Dude Ranch just as much as I love the smiley face album. I do feel completely different towards TOYPAJ though. Used to love it whereas now I just have a similar opinion to it as I do with California. The albums just don't sound honest to me. Instrumentally TOYPAJ kicks ass though.

• Like 1

The album sucks. It has some alright qualities, but overall is a huge mess.

my favorite thing about it is that Cynical is them copping to it. They're out of ideas and have no idea what they (mark) are doing. Setting expectations low is exactly what it aims to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kay said:

Except that's not what it is. 

I still like other pop punk bands. Alkaline Trio released a great album just last year. it isn't much of a stretch from their releases from 15 years ago. and I still like it. 

This isn't "growing out of blink" this is "blink putting out a worse product". 

Ghent rationalizes his absurdity in silly ways.

• Like 2

I've grown out of certain types of music too. For example, I used to love screamo music. Underoath, bands like that. Wouldn't be caught dead listening to something like that anymore, embarrassed I ever liked it.

Same can be said of blink for some around here. Time to move on!

Nah, I never liked pop punk from aging 40 year olds desperately clinging to relevance. Still don't.

That last Green Day record was pretty good too. Wish blink would try to be like them more.

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

That last Green Day record was pretty good too. Wish blink would try to be like them more.

It was pretty good, best they've done since AI ... not great but its mostly solid.

8 minutes ago, Jane said:

Really great music never gets old and you never get tired of it, or grow out of it.

Which is why California is so good!

Here's the thing with growing out of "Blink and that kind of music" - I did grow out of pop punk for the most part, like a LONG time ago. Especially the real glossy overproduced style that took hold after Blink blew up. There are always some awesome bands making music with pop and punk elements, but as a specific genre I'm guilty of growing out of pop punk I guess haha. As a kid in the late 90s/early 2000s I fucking loved just about any and all pop punk, I devoured as much as I could. But Blink was ALWAYS the best of the bunch, their music went far beyond standard pop punk to me, and just as I was "growing out" of that style, lo and behold Blink did too! BCR and Untitled mixed things I loved (and still love) about older Blink with the types of indie rock that I was just starting to check out at the time.

I wasn't remotely as interested in that next wave of pop punk, with FOB and Simple Plan and MCR and Panic and ATL. So I did grow out of that world, and so did Blink, and then with California they not only went back to pop punk they actually inserted themselves into that later style that I didn't like as much in the first place. 

There is no doubt that if Enema or TOYPAJ came out today they wouldn't click with me the same way they did when I was an obsessed middle schooler haha, that's just how music works and there's nothing wrong with that. But there is also no doubt that I would like them WAY more than I liked California, and in fact I still like them and every other Blink album so much that I still fuck around on this message board with all of you people waiting impatiently to find out what they'll do next!

• Like 4

I think it's easier to expect to grow out of a band to justify the fact that you don't like the new stuffs but the truth is I will probably die listening to Dude Ranch or Enema or Untitled or Cheshire Cat so this means that, to me, California is their problem and this is was it is.

I used to like some songs off Cali, now I hate all of them, they're so stale and get on my nerves because look what blink has become, but I'm still here loving the band and hoping for the best.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I think it's easier to expect to grow out of a band to justify the fact that you don't like the new stuffs but the truth is I will probably die listening to Dude Ranch or Enema or Untitled or Cheshire Cat so this means that, to me, California is their problem and this is was it is.

I used to like some songs off Cali, now I hate all of them, they're so stale and get on my nerves because look what blink has become, but I'm still here loving the band and hoping for the best.

Blink has become the equivalent of a bag of chips, mostly just air.

• Haha 1

Or a group of jaded blink onliners who aren't coping well with aging no longer enjoy said product, but can't break their addiction to complaining about it

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I've grown out of certain types of music too. For example, I used to love screamo music. Underoath, bands like that. Wouldn't be caught dead listening to something like that anymore, embarrassed I ever liked it.

Same can be said of blink for some around here. Time to move on!

Old Underoath - great
Old Blink - great

New Underoath - shite
New Blink - below average

Both great bands in their time that have completely lost it, maybe it's time they moved on (rather than us) while they still have a small bit of integrity as an artist?

Just now, ...Dan... said:

Old Underoath - great
Old Blink - great

New Underoath - shite
New Blink - below average

Both great bands in their time that have completely lost it, maybe it's time they moved on (rather than us) while they still have a small bit of integrity as an artist?

Wouldn't know what new Underoath sounds like, because when I stop liking something I move on. It's a lot better than obsessively clinging to something you're no longer into.

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Or a group of jaded blink onliners who aren't coping well with aging no longer enjoy said product, but can't break their addiction to complaining about it

You keep saying that but repetition doesn't create validity.

• Like 7

Says one in a group of jaded blink onliners who have been whining about an album they don't like for 2 years