Jump to content
 
Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

Recommended Posts

I might regret posting this in retrospect, but I’m a lot more interested in the potential of this album than I was a year ago. Not quite excited per say, as I’m still reasonably skeptical, but definitely intrigued.

 

As we all know, California was done really fucking quickly, blah blah. But this time it does seem like they’re really genuinely taking their time. And seemingly mapping it out much more carefully. They started writing not too long after Cali Deluxe, right? They started recording a year ago, and even with Travis’s health issues in mind, Matt and Mark were still writing and working in the studio during that time, and Travis has been back with them for six months. And they’re STILL not done. I mean, this is a ballsy thing to say, but that in itself is very self titled-esque. Ya know, given all the self titled-esque talk.

 

I also like that they’re branching out with various producers instead of just having Feldy steer the whole ship this time (although I’d still prefer he weren’t involved at all. But hey, can’t win em all).

 

Now the various producer thing can just as easily pull things down as they can push things up, but it does make the playing field much more interesting. I honestly don’t know what to expect anymore, but color me intrigued at the moment. Really  wanna see what the fuck this thing is now.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobbo11290 said:

I might regret posting this in retrospect, but I’m a lot more interested in the potential of this album than I was a year ago. Not quite excited per say, as I’m still reasonably skeptical, but definitely intrigued.

 

As we all know, California was done really fucking quickly, blah blah. But this time it does seem like they’re really genuinely taking their time. And seemingly mapping it out much more carefully. They started writing not too long after Cali Deluxe, right? They started recording a year ago, and even with Travis’s health issues in mind, Matt and Mark were still writing and working in the studio during that time, and Travis has been back with them for six months. And they’re STILL not done. I mean, this is a ballsy thing to say, but that in itself is very self titled-esque. Ya know, given all the self titled-esque talk.

 

I also like that they’re branching out with various producers instead of just having Feldy steer the whole ship this time (although I’d still prefer he weren’t involved at all. But hey, can’t win em all).

 

Now the various producer thing can just as easily pull things down as they can push things up, but it does make the playing field much more interesting. I honestly don’t know what to expect anymore, but color me intrigued at the moment. Really  wanna see what the fuck this thing is now.

They didn’t start until the summer of last year when the residency started and I don’t think they started working on it seriously full time until the fall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would find it intriguing if they hadn't hired a bunch of outside writers. That and choosing pharrell sends a clear signal. I am completely not interested anymore, they could release a dubstep album for all I care. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it intriguing at this moment. The thing about so many people being involved awakes my curiosity. Another different thing is how it will turn out... if it will be a masterpiece or a massive turd. From my irrelevant point of view, I'm expecting very low standards with this band at this point. So if they improve that, that's ok, I guess. I don't know, we'll see.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I find it intriguing at this moment. The thing about so many people being involved awakes my curiosity. Another different thing is how it will turn out... if it will be a masterpiece or a massive turd. From my irrelevant point of view, I'm expecting very low standards with this band at this point. So if they improve that, that's ok, I guess. I don't know, we'll see.

A polished turd is still just a piece of shit. I am curious, just because Feldy isn't ruling the entire album. But I was the dumb fuck who kept thinking with Cali, "It can't get any worse." Then DLX came out. Now was the best DLX song better than the worst Cali song? Sure. But it was still a wasted effort all around and kinda pointless overall and worse, very forgettable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NotNow said:

They didn’t start until the summer of last year when the residency started and I don’t think they started working on it seriously full time until the fall.

4/20/18 was the first day in the studio, and you would assume they had some ideas leading up to that. By June they were "well into the writing process"... (Gee if only there was an amazing timeline at the beginning of this thread with every single update ever...) LOL 😃 

But regardless, almost a year of this, compared to 2-3 months of cranking out California. I can't wait to hear it! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

4/20/18 was the first day in the studio, and you would assume they had some ideas leading up to that. By June they were "well into the writing process"... (Gee if only there was an amazing timeline at the beginning of this thread with every single update ever...) LOL 😃 

But regardless, almost a year of this, compared to 2-3 months of cranking out California. I can't wait to hear it! 

Yea I didn’t know exactly when I just knew it was around summer time. April isn’t far off. About a year of work, definitely longer than California I just meant they hadn’t been working on this since the deluxe which would be over two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kay said:

I would find it intriguing if they hadn't hired a bunch of outside writers. That and choosing pharrell sends a clear signal. I am completely not interested anymore, they could release a dubstep album for all I care. 

Agreed with this. I don't mind so much about having a bunch of producers but it's the fact they've got co-writers involved in it just as much. It won't feel like a blink album at all to me and instead will sound like poor man's blink-182, which is what California basically is. The last true blink-182 album we got was +44. +44 is more blink than blink-182 under Skiba.

As for blink taking their time. Yeah they definitely did start work on this album early last year, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they wrote demos or something and then more demos in the summer, then by around December, show them to Feldman. Only for Feldman to make them scrap them as they don't give that "feel good" blink factor. The summer vibes. The fun. Blink did technically start writing California in the summer of 2015 before coming to Feldman in January 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I haven’t been keeping up with blink news for a long time. I read these threads and for some reason don’t remember what I just read about what’s going on with the band, lmao.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ghost said:

I find it intriguing at this moment. The thing about so many people being involved awakes my curiosity. Another different thing is how it will turn out... if it will be a masterpiece or a massive turd. From my irrelevant point of view, I'm expecting very low standards with this band at this point. So if they improve that, that's ok, I guess. I don't know, we'll see.

bingo. i don’t care too much, but at least it might not be california part 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the last stand for the band for me. If this album is any worse than California, I’m donezo. No time to listen to uninspired, generic, disingenuous, trash music. Too many better bands out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

This is the last stand for the band for me. If this album is any worse than California, I’m donezo. No time to listen to uninspired, generic, disingenuous, trash music. Too many better bands out there.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thinking if Pharrell is working with them thats its going a specific direction and thats one we're not going to like. 

Calling it now - Travis says this album is like untitled, its going to come out and sound nothing like untitled and that comment was just in regards to how they went about making the record and not having to stick to a certain pre conceived blink sound and they would come back to songs over and over again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knapton said:

I thinking if Pharrell is working with them thats its going a specific direction and thats one we're not going to like

don't kid yourself with reasons. no matter what, most of the forum users won't like the new album. or to be correct, they already hate it. they hated it before they knew about pharrel, and nothing will change their feelings. grumpy old edgelords just don't want to be satisfied with anything.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it really looks like they changed up their sound, and thats a good thing. I'm much more interested in the results now than i was before.

however I still don't understand why they jus't can't spend 3-4 weeks in a rehearsal space together ( matt, mark and travis), and write a record on their own. if it's really that impossible for them to do i'm questioning why they are even "making" music "together" ?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knapton said:

I thinking if Pharrell is working with them thats its going a specific direction and thats one we're not going to like. 

Calling it now - Travis says this album is like untitled, its going to come out and sound nothing like untitled and that comment was just in regards to how they went about making the record and not having to stick to a certain pre conceived blink sound and they would come back to songs over and over again. 

Mark and Travis interviews always backfire in their face with the way they set up expectations. Tom even moreso but for different reasons and he doesn’t even make music anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

don't kid yourself with reasons. no matter what, most of the forum users won't like the new album. or to be correct, they already hate it. they hated it before they knew about pharrel, and nothing will change their feelings. grumpy old edgelords just don't want to be satisfied with anything.

On the other side we always will have fanboys who will swallow every drop of garbage that this will put out, no matter what. They will always be licking blink's balls.

If we go that route, is always the same old story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, knapton said:

Calling it now - Travis says this album is like untitled, its going to come out and sound nothing like untitled and that comment was just in regards to how they went about making the record and not having to stick to a certain pre conceived blink sound and they would come back to songs over and over again. 

I am pretty sure he never meant that the new album will sound like Untitled. It's more about the recording process and so on. So anyone who goes into this with this thought, will be disappointed for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also for someone being stuck between "Fanboy and Grumpy old Edgelord" I have no idea what to expect and try to be open. I think this album will either be hit or miss for me...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll admit, in a bit more excited knowing they’re using other producers. Not just feldmann. The less of him the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...