Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

17 minutes ago, decisions said:

Hell yeah I do. Is there something cool about shitting on a great punk band that's been running strong for around 15 years? 

I ask myself that very question every time I come here

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Punk is a great genre. Blink did have elements of it on Go from the smiley face album and Heart's All Gone/Natives from Neighborhoods. That said I don't want blink coming up with a whole album of songs like that. It's fine for 1-2 songs an album though. All I want is blink actually experimenting and coming up with a sound that's never been done, whilst still retaining their signature style.

That's always gonna be hard to do since Skiba is completely different to Tom. But now Skiba is the guy, blink really should be having elements of Alkaline Trio. There's not been one single song that sounds like Skiba had anything to do with it since he joined the band. Instead we got blink trying to sound like every other modern pop punk band from California. Now based on this song, they're trying to sound like every other pop act that's on the radio today. Blink might've been experimenting on BIOMY but it sounds nothing like blink at all. Doesn't sound like natural progression. Just sounds like a song that 3-4 industry guys helped to write and told blink what to sound like.

Really, everyone should just fuck off and let the 3 guys write something that's unique. Let blink come up with something new and unique. This song isn't unique. It's just typical pop stuff. Blink should be unique. That's why I always liked blink because nobody else really sounded like them. As for the Enema comments sounding like radio music of 1999, nah. Blink revolutionised pop punk with that unique sound. That's blink's sound. There's no band that sounds like Enema. No band that sounds like TOYPAJ. There's no band that sounds like smiley face and Neighborhoods either. California is the first ever blink album where it sounds like other bands. Now they "progress" onto this sound. Sorry, but it isn't progression when a band is trying to appeal to the masses IMO. Blink should be alienating not just their own fans, but the radio shit too.

Could never expect AVA to sound more like blink than blink themselves do, but that's finally happened. Every AVA track I've ever heard sounds more like blink than this song. I say this all whilst the song is kinda growing on me too.

Can't vouch for those "punk" bands sounding anything like Blink in my opinion, but there are some modern poppy punky alternative rock bands that have a lot in common with the original Blink vibes and in an alternate universe I could've seen Blink + Skiba mixing that old school Blink/Alk stuff with their love for modern music and new wave and ending up sounding more like stuff like variations of this stuff (just my opinion don't e-murder me):

(featuring Mark \/)

Rebel Girl intro sounds way more like blink. Especially if it was more guitar driven. 

But BIOMY verses are pretty decent and give off a blink vibe. It’s a shame cause I like the vereses but the rest of the song I can’t stand.

• Like 2

Rebel Girl sounds very blink to me, heck that song sounds more like Untitled than BIOMY does.

Granted the "here's my little rebel girl!!" Tom screeching doesn't, the "do you want to go back to where we started?" sounds VERY blink.

The guitar parts sound like blink fun riffs, the synth sound blink enough post always.

Way to go Tom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, decisions said:

Punk bands still exist in 2019

Decisions, is this your band?  Like it's okay if it is, just labeling it punk rock makes my pop punk polls threads look good

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

Decisions, is this your band?  Like it's okay if it is, just labeling it punk rock makes my pop punk poll threads look good

I don’t know what this post means. How would you not label that punk? Like what other genre would it even be? Punk isn’t just what you want it to be, it encompasses a lot of subgenres, many of which have only existed in the past 20 years...why am I even arguing with you guys, fans of punk music wouldn’t shit on an honest, long-running band like waterweed in this way. I don’t think we’re coming from the same place, I want all forms of punk music to prosper, and bands like waterweed are evidence that they can in 2019, when so much is stacked against them - like corporate, manufactured trash like BIOMY dominating the charts, preventing young listeners from hearing music’s most beautiful capture: emotion. Some people who hear that like the way punk expresses it, and go on to be members of the scene.

This is why I stopped posting here, I feel very out of my element and like Blink is the only punk-oriented band anyone on here listens to. That’s fine, I’m not trying to deligitimize other genres or their way of expressing emotion, but the kind of vapid, fruitless shitposting I get here just isn’t worth it. It’s a natural extension of critique of Blink’s music to recommend other punk bands who are doing it better.

This isn’t really a punk message board I guess, or even an open-minded one where people want to have interesting discussions about music, and I don’t have time to argue anymore, so I’m just gonna take my leave again.  Take care. Hopefully Blink has a brighter future than it seems right now.

52 minutes ago, decisions said:

I don’t know what this post means. How would you not label that punk? Like what other genre would it even be? Punk isn’t just what you want it to be, it encompasses a lot of subgenres, many of which have only existed in the past 20 years...why am I even arguing with you guys, fans of punk music wouldn’t shit on an honest, long-running band like waterweed in this way. I don’t think we’re coming from the same place, I want all forms of punk music to prosper, and bands like waterweed are evidence that they can in 2019, when so much is stacked against them - like corporate, manufactured trash like BIOMY dominating the charts, preventing young listeners from hearing music’s most beautiful capture: emotion. Some people who hear that like the way punk expresses it, and go on to be members of the scene.

This is why I stopped posting here, I feel very out of my element and like Blink is the only punk-oriented band anyone on here listens to. That’s fine, I’m not trying to deligitimize other genres or their way of expressing emotion, but the kind of vapid, fruitless shitposting I get here just isn’t worth it. It’s a natural extension of critique of Blink’s music to recommend other punk bands who are doing it better.

This isn’t really a punk message board I guess, or even an open-minded one where people want to have interesting discussions about music, and I don’t have time to argue anymore, so I’m just gonna take my leave again.  Take care. Hopefully Blink has a brighter future than it seems right now.

ra,unisex_tshirt,x2200,101010:01c5ca27c6

BIOMY is fucking tragic, but that was even worse.  Like hats off to them if they've gained respect in the punk rock community but they sound like every other middle of the pack screamo band to me 🤷‍♂️ and I listen to a lot of different genres/sub genres

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, decisions said:

I don't know man. This song had a fast beat but I hear a lot of screamo and hoobastank mixed in too. Not ripping this band, that'd be unfair. But I like my punk in the vein if pennywise, bad religion, and NOFX. I can't classify waterweed as the same type of band based on this song 

I honestly don't think i will buy this album when it comes out. My expectations were low and now they are even lower. 

Some factors that will at least be redeeming:

If there's at least one song written by rhe bandmembers themselves. Just one. 

If there's one song sung by Matt. Just one. 

A Tom appearance 

I have a feeling we'll get none of these sadly. 

7 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

So for 4/7 days of the week you’re inside, curtains drawn,  in front of your computer complaining about summer and blink-182. What a life.

To be fair I’d probably hate summer too if I had to live in that dreary, boring, nothing of a country you call home.

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m doing 🙄 

11 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

So for 4/7 days of the week you’re inside, curtains drawn,  in front of your computer complaining about summer and blink-182. What a life.

To be fair I’d probably hate summer too if I had to live in that dreary, boring, nothing of a country you call home.

Hey, Wales is beautiful, literally where Scott lives he's surrounded by gorgeous countryside. He also has a young son and loving woman by his side. You can dislike his opinions but frankly I'm a tad jealous of him - he can kick back working part time after working most of his young life to buy a house. He's fuckin' far ahead of most people here in regards to life goals. man is straight up winning. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thanks Kay. What a lovely post. He is right though I do hate the summer. Anything over 22c and I’m melting. I take my hat off to him living in that country tbh. I’d survive 10 mins. He’s still a fucking cunt though and hope his cock falls off etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

A Wilhelm Scream did this style way better like 20 years ago. 

True dat, great band. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Thanks Kay. What a lovely post. He is right though I do hate the summer. Anything over 22c and I’m melting. I take my hat off to him living in that country tbh. I’d survive 10 mins. He’s still a fucking cunt though and hope his cock falls off etc

yeah to be fair I hate the summer too haha. a friend of mine lives in Australia for like a year or so at a time then moves back here for a while back and forth (family stuff) he absolutely detests Australia, idk how people do it. between the cost the politics and the heat I think I'd murder someone. 

What is wrong with you idiots, summer fucking rules.

Last summer was unbelievable, praying we get one like it again this year. 

Summer is amazing here. Suns up from 5am and doesn’t set till 830pm. Makes it feel like you’ve still got half a day after to do things. Sure when it’s +40c some days it can be uncomfortable, but then you head to the beach, have a swim and then have a nice cold beer and you’re all good. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. If you don’t like summer then you’re missing out.

39 minutes ago, Kay said:

yeah to be fair I hate the summer too haha. a friend of mine lives in Australia for like a year or so at a time then moves back here for a while back and forth (family stuff) he absolutely detests Australia, idk how people do it. between the cost the politics and the heat I think I'd murder someone. 

The cost in Australia isn’t too bad once you leave the major cities. I grew up in the north of Sydney and I’ve recently moved just two hours up the coast to Newcastle and it’s like a quarter of the price for rent. 

Our politics are a bit of a shitshow at the moment but it doesn’t affect anyone’s day to day.

• Like 1