Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

11 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Italia shared some of his call with Mark, the "We are looking later in the summer than July and August" response to the release date question caught me off  guard... =(

It's not that much of a surprise 

Mark described Neighbourhoods as having songs on it that sound like Dude Ranch. When it came out it was obvious he was refering to Hearts All Gone simple because its a more simple straight up fast punk song verse the more experimental stuff they were doing. 

And it sounded nothing like Dude Ranch

• Like 2

People were still comparing HAG to Dude Ranch years later too, so strange. That song is fast but would have been a GIANT outlier on Dude Ranch haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harvey Klinger's Heartache said:

I read everything you write in Archer's voice. Can you add the "H." to your name, please?

Nope, he should take the H out of his like on his family guy credits and in the I have a van show

Just now, Jon Benjamin said:

Nope, he should take the H out of his like on his family guy credits and in the I have a van show

All I want from you are Archer quotes!

Still think HAG could've/should've been the title track on the next +44 album. Would've been perfect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Still think HAG could've/should've been the title track on the next +44 album. Would've been perfect. 

For sure. Definitely has a +44 vibe. I miss Tom's guitar tone before he fucked it all up 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

HAG would have been better if Mark and Tom had shared vocals during the verses, like they did live.

I feel the same about all the Neighborhoods songs they played live. Ghost on the Dance Floor sounded a lot less synthy and you could actually hear the bridge, whereas in the album version, it's just complete noise. After Midnight's live bridge wasn't boring. Heart's All Gone would've been even better if Tom had actually played guitar on it and would've swapped vocals back and forth like the live version. The guitar tones of Wishing Well didn't sound weird when they played live either. Up All Night felt more harder and more of a rock song live than the album version. All would've been better songs for it IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

I feel the same about all the Neighborhoods songs they played live. Ghost on the Dance Floor sounded a lot less synthy and you could actually hear the bridge, whereas in the album version, it's just complete noise. After Midnight's live bridge wasn't boring. Heart's All Gone would've been even better if Tom had actually played guitar on it and would've swapped vocals back and forth like the live version. The guitar tones of Wishing Well didn't sound weird when they played live either. Up All Night felt more harder and more of a rock song live than the album version. All would've been better songs for it IMO.

Is there some evidence supporting Tom didn’t play guitar in HAG on the album? I’m not doubting it at all, just hadn’t heard that before. 

2 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Is there some evidence supporting Tom didn’t play guitar in HAG on the album? I’m not doubting it at all, just hadn’t heard that before. 

I know he didn't play on MH 1492 but I don't know that HAG was ever confirmed. It doesn't really feel like his style (past or present) though and I know Mark was recording guitar parts as well so it's entirely possible it was front to back and Tom learned it for the live version. That's entirely made up by me though so don't trust it to hold water 

36 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

No evidence but to me it sounds like Mark playing it. I get the same feeling with MH, Kaleidoscope and Fighting the Gravity too. Weird for Kaleidoscope, cause Tom is singing on it but the guitar doesn't sound like his playing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

No evidence but to me it sounds like Mark playing it. I get the same feeling with MH, Kaleidoscope and Fighting the Gravity too. Weird for Kaleidoscope, cause Tom is singing on it but the guitar doesn't sound like his playing.

I think in the Google interview within Mark and Tom, someone in the audience asked a question about Hearts All Gone, Mark responded and then at the end Tom mentioned that he had absolutely nothing to do with the song.  Might not be 100% accurate on that but pretty sure...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, knapton said:

And it sounded nothing like Dude Ranch

the thing with neighborhoods is so many of the songs had potential, if they were just recorded and produced as a straight ahead pop-punk album. but instead it's drowning in synth and samples and tom's AVA painkiller wet dreams.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Mark’s tone is warmer, fuzzier and a bit dry, if you can say that. Mark’s playing style is more chord and rhythmic-based and will only throw in subtle leads every once in a while. +44’s WYHSB is a good reference. I’m sure HAG (Song + Interlude), Kaleidoscope, MH, and FTG were recorded entirely by Mark and Travis (Kaleidoscope is the only exception where Tom likely just added his vocals and maybe the ending). Tom added his own stuff for HAG when he played it live. 

Mark’s likely rig for his songs, especially for Kaleidoscope as he’s playing the bridge in this:

Bonus video of MH because it’s funny:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

HAG would have been better if Mark and Tom had shared vocals during the verses, like they did live.

it wouldve been so much better if Tom had anything to do with it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

the thing with neighborhoods is so many of the songs had potential, if they were just recorded and produced as a straight ahead pop-punk album. but instead it's drowning in synth and samples and tom's AVA painkiller wet dreams.

Which is exactly why they work better stripped down live.

• Like 1

Its honestly amazing that a band as big as they once were thought that going about Neighborhoods the way they did was a good idea for a comeback album

• Like 1