2018 "New Album News" Thread

Ry-Bread

To be fair I really like Skiba. Just not in Blink. He has some good moments on Cali, but after going to see them live I completely changed my mind about him being in the band. It was just so flat and emotionless, I was proper gutted. It’s the only time I’ve seen blink and didn’t really enjoy it and to be honest it really made me miss Tom. I’m in no way a Tom bot, but it just completely lacked any onstage comradary that made the earlier shows so great .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

"I want less Matt, but instead I want more Matt."

Makes sense.

I’m a Matt fanboy, but using him as just higher back up vocals because Mark can’t sing that high anymore is stupid. He does screaming pretty well (Cynical, BTD, LA, Left Alone, 6/8) but he’s more than just that. I want some Matt-only songs, I want Matt sprinkled all over Blink. I just want him used properly.

Not everything is black and white.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

It's not like it's going to sound drastically different from Cali with Feldy producing.  

Them being pretentious and renting out a house for 3 years to work on an album isn't going to change the sound. 

I feel like this is a pretty good indication of the fan split right here.

I guess some of us just can't fathom how pretentious it was of them to try new things and experiment through a new process.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Perhaps we should spend the next few pages discussing this "Feldmann" character and how exactly he has impacted the band.

It’s been done to death.

The only thing we can do now is just hope they have listened to the backlash and that they have used that to improve on the next record. Cali DLX was a small step in the right direction. 

I think they're better off taking their time with the writing process vs. doing the "first thought/best thought/factory" approach, but that doesn't mean they necessarily have to take a year to do that. They've been working on stuff for what, a few months already? I just hope they're being more thoughtful and taking the time to build each song into something more representative of the band and straight from their hearts this time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, 4.40 said:

It’s been done to death.

The only thing we can do now is just hope they have listened to the backlash and that they have used that to improve on the next record. Cali DLX was a small step in the right direction. 

Ain't gonna happen either, mate. The fanboys/fangirls' cheers and screams give 'em more money.

Comfort zone is comfortable.

• Like 1

I just feel blink need to be more critical of themselves. I loved that about Mark actually but he was probably overcritical after +44. Even when Tom would sacrifice quality over quantity, he was a little more critical than blink under Feldman. Mark was always able to bring Tom back down to earth a little bit whenever they'd work like an actual band.

The first thought = best thought thing isn't always a good thing. It's funny because blink did that with Feeling This yet that song was so damn good. Bored to Death is an example where it clearly worked too. But they do need to be more critical of themselves. But not as critical as Mark from 2007-2015. If Mark went like that again, we'd all be like 80 by the time blink next release their album. That album would probably be released posthumously too.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kay said:

The studio pics look a little different to last time, is it a different location or did he just move some furniture around? 

Pretty sure Feldmann got a new house between Cali and now, so I suspect it's a new studio set-up in the new crib.

Any news on the new album?

From what I've seen, Mark, Travis, and Feldmann were in the studio a few months ago recording/coming up with ideas. Skiba was with Alk3 recording their new album and touring. Travis got blood clots and hasn't been able to drum over the last few months. 

Blink is playing a few shows this week, it's unclear if Travis will be cleared to play. 

If I had to guess, I would say they will start jamming and coming up with ideas with Skiba for the new album while finishing off their Vegas residency throughout October/November, so we should expect a new album around Spring 2019, depending on how much time they want to spend writing  and recording it. 

24 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Any news on the new album?

The latest news was that Skiba told me personally it's been put on hold due to Trav's situation/Alk3 tour. And when I asked if Trav's situation was serious, he said "That's not serious. Trump is serious." and made it seem like Trav would be fine to resume drumming this month (they are scheduled to play Sept. 8th). I thought Trav would be drumming this past weekend at his DJ gig in Vegas, but he was just scratching, so we shall see..

Matt tours again early Oct. with Alk3, then Vegas with Blink at the end of October through November, so I would guess they would resume ideas at that time, and potentially have time to start recording towards the end of November. Seems like the stars are aligning for another winter recording session, and 2019 summer release.

• Like 5