Blink Vegas Residency

Chewy030

2 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

You could just you know stop following the band if it's that much of a buzzkill.... No one's forcing you to pay attention. 

Idk, Matts new guitar is so obnoxiously bright it's hard to look at literally anything else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

Idk, Matts new guitar is so obnoxiously bright it's hard to look at literally anything else. 

I was talking more about the band in general. If i really enjoyed a band who changed singers that i didn't care for i'd probably quit following. 

7 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

I was talking more about the band in general. If i really enjoyed a band who changed singers that i didn't care for i'd probably quit following. 

I was obviously making a joke dude lol 

That's not the case here though is it?

Again if you don’t like the replacement why bother with the band or a band message board at all? Seems odd to me. Clearly they’re going to play Tom songs you guys need to get the fuck over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewy030 said:

You could just you know stop following the band if it's that much of a buzzkill.... No one's forcing you to pay attention. 

Idk, it's sort of like watching your ex girlfriend rebound with massive downgrade and pretending everything's great, worth seeing what happens next.

Because it's still fun and interesting to follow the happenings of Blink 182. I imagine that most of us have some sort of deep connection to the band beyond just vague fandom, they were by far my favorite band for a long time and the reason I started playing music.

I've used this example before but at this point it's like following a sports team that you've loved since you were a kid - you root for the best, you question behind-the-scenes decisions, you talk about rumors,  etc. After a decade of crazy shenanigans in the Blink world it's all part of being a fan in 2018. I didn't like the California era, I also didn't like my favorite football team's 2017 season, it's still fun to dissect everything like a crazy person and keep rooting for better outcomes.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chewy030 said:

Again if you don’t like the replacement why bother with the band or a band message board at all? Seems odd to me. Clearly they’re going to play Tom songs you guys need to get the fuck over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get your logic at all.

If you favorite sports team signs a new coach or player that you don't like do you completely stop following them?

20 minutes ago, Dylan_ said:

I don't get your logic at all.

If you favorite sports team signs a new coach or player that you don't like do you completely stop following them?

LOL not even a good comparison and completely missing the point of what i was saying... 

If a bands that i like kicks out a main member i'll give it a shot and if i like it i hang around...If i don't then peace out i'll enjoy the old stuff. That's my point to this. If i didn't like the Skiba stuff chances are i'd tap out and wouldn't follow. 

6 hours ago, ruaraidhlando45 said:

If these "pre-1999" shows are confirmed I will 100% be flying out from London, been dreaming of this sort of thing for like 15 years now. Obviously would much rather see Tom performing the songs but that ship has sailed :(

Below is a transcript of that podcast btw:

Good to see ya rory!

Hope all is well. Glad to see you're still a Blink fan.

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

I've still only met one person from here, Watcher

GrandpaReefer was at the same show as me in 2009 but we never met up. I think Tyler peace sign was at the same show as me too once.

A meat up would be quite the scene

The "no efforts" piss me off especially if I talk with the person regularity on the board.

Sasha went right by my house, and I'd mentioned meeting up, he wasn't interested I guess.

But I am also guilty of this,  Niku and me lived nearby for years and it was my fault we didn't hang out. I have no excuse for it but always felt bad.

I should probably meet up with @_Kyle_ one of these days. It just never happens.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Because it's still fun and interesting to follow the happenings of Blink 182. I imagine that most of us have some sort of deep connection to the band beyond just vague fandom, they were by far my favorite band for a long time and the reason I started playing music.

I've used this example before but at this point it's like following a sports team that you've loved since you were a kid - you root for the best, you question behind-the-scenes decisions, you talk about rumors,  etc. After a decade of crazy shenanigans in the Blink world it's all part of being a fan in 2018. I didn't like the California era, I also didn't like my favorite football team's 2017 season, it's still fun to dissect everything like a crazy person and keep rooting for better outcomes.

audience-2.gif

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

If a bands that i like kicks out a main member i'll give it a shot and if i like it i hang around...If i don't then peace out i'll enjoy the old stuff. That's my point to this. If i didn't like the Skiba stuff chances are i'd tap out and wouldn't follow. 

Haha it does kinda defy logic but I think certain things about Blink make it different than just letting go of some other band if they replace someone.

• The fact that the past 13 years of Blink has been insane and full of drama so following the band doesn't necessarily mean just listening to the albums anymore. It's always intruiging to talk about the behind the scenes stuff.
  • Morbid curiosity
  • Holding out hope that they are capable of being much better even with the new member
  • Following Blink has always been about more than just the music, dating back to when Tom and Mark were basically comedians onstage and putting so much of their lives and personalities out there in DVDs and interviews and behind the scenes videos, it definitely ended up feeling like you knew them as people or at least "characters" more than the average band, so that makes it more interesting to follow even after the music starts struggling
  • The straight up insanity and weirdness of being a hardcore fan

I'm rambling!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I do wanna add though, the other band I loved as much as Blink back in my early days was 311, and I actually HAVE stopped following their career because they just aged gracefully into a way less interesting version of their early selves. It's worked out great for them, they have a huge and loyal following and are known for their live shows in almost a jamband sort of way at this point, but I have no interest in following them anymore because they've had quite a few mediocre albums in a row at this point and are pretty much drama-free haha.

So I obviously get what you mean by saying "why would you follow this band anymore?" but with Blink there is just so much to dive into still, and their career and musical choices might be baffling at times but they definitely haven't been uninteresting or boring enough to bail.

13 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Haha it does kinda defy logic but I think certain things about Blink make it different than just letting go of some other band if they replace someone.

• The fact that the past 13 years of Blink has been insane and full of drama so following the band doesn't necessarily mean just listening to the albums anymore. It's always intruiging to talk about the behind the scenes stuff.
  • Morbid curiosity
  • Holding out hope that they are capable of being much better even with the new member
  • Following Blink has always been about more than just the music, dating back to when Tom and Mark were basically comedians onstage and putting so much of their lives and personalities out there in DVDs and interviews and behind the scenes videos, it definitely ended up feeling like you knew them as people or at least "characters" more than the average band, so that makes it more interesting to follow even after the music starts struggling
  • The straight up insanity and weirdness of being a hardcore fan

I get all of that i do, but if a few years later you're still claiming they shouldn't play Tom songs at all and hate all the new stuff... Just seems like a waste of time to me. Just my opinion. 

• Like 2