just a couple of my favs are:

We're falling faster than we can fly
Forgotten seconds out on Sunset Drive
And I hold on tight
But not enough to hold you back

It feels like the moon
Is spinning off into outer space without you
This room is such a lonely place without you

--really touching lyrics about Mark watching his kid grow up and being scared to let him go

and:

what if I dream
Of going back to San Diego
We bought a one way ticket
So we could go see the Cure
And listen to our favorite songs in the parking lot
And think of every person I ever lost in San Diego

--expertly use san diego as a metaphor for Tom. really cool lyrics about being scared of being tricked back into a friendship with somebody after you think about the great times you had.

and:

all of TTOTM. lyrics perfectly match the energy of the song

Those are good lyrics for sure. I think what makes people cringe about Cali lyrics is that they aren't wistful/nostalgic the way The Rock Show obviously is (to use your example). Rock Show is all about the past, it's just literally the story of meeting a girl and falling in love back in the day. Compared to stuff like "We tumble through the night, we burn so bright/We're teenage satellites" or "We are the kings of the weekend" or "We are forgotten young suburbia"

An old-school example of that type of shittiness would be First Date, which everybody pretty much agrees has dumb lyrics haha

6 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Those are good lyrics for sure. I think what makes people cringe about Cali lyrics is that they aren't wistful/nostalgic the way The Rock Show obviously is (to use your example). Rock Show is all about the past, it's just literally the story of meeting a girl and falling in love back in the day. Compared to stuff like "We tumble through the night, we burn so bright/We're teenage satellites" or "We are the kings of the weekend" or "We are forgotten young suburbia"

I guess I just don't understand why it's ok to write Give Me One Good Reason, First Date, Rock Show when you're approaching 30, but Teenage Satellites is an absolute offense in 40s.

but we've went through it before, so agree to disagree about it being a problem

The thing I remember most about ASTS being crazy popular is my friend's mom was super religious and we spoofed it about her saying:

"She left a pic of Moses by the stairs, 
On it was some pubic hairs.
"

To this day, I hear that every time in my head. I remember my mom crying during Adam's Song when it was on the Top 40 countdown as well which is random lol.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I guess I just don't understand why it's ok to write Give Me One Good Reason, First Date, Rock Show when you're approaching 30, but Teenage Satellites is an absolute offense in 40s.

Its the whole concept of writing it because they want to stay relevant. California is an album they made to try to get popular again. You’re still chasing girls at rock shows when you’re 26, at least less time between when they were. When you’re approaching 50, they havent been chasing girls for probably 15-20 years. 

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Give Me One Good Reason is absolutely terrible, the only one of those I'll defend is Rock Show haha

All the Small Things doesn't have bad lyrics at all IMO. They're simple but it's a genuine and honest song from Tom. As for First Date and the Rock Show, most of us were kids when we heard it, so they're gonna hold more weight than the California songs. I imagine if I was 25 in the year 2001, I'd probably dislike TOYPAJ the way I do California.

It also doesn't help California that blink moved on from that dumb teenage stuff with the start of BCR. It's regression. Most blink fans were expecting some form of progression with Alkaline Trio elements but what we got was a forced album that regresses back to the dumb teenage stuff and that isn't the worst of it. Blink started sounding like bands influenced by them instead of being creative with the pop punk sound. Even Enema and TOYPAJ at least showed progression. Before those two albums were released, I had never heard of pop punk music that sounded like that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Its the whole concept of writing it because they want to stay relevant. California is an album they made to try to get popular again. You’re still chasing girls at rock shows when you’re 26, at least less time between when they were. When you’re approaching 50, they havent been chasing girls for probably 15-20 years. 

Weren't Mark and Tom both married when TOYPAJ came out?

if you're still chasing girls at warped tour at 27, you have problems btw lol.

Just now, Ghent said:

Weren't Mark and Tom both married when TOYPAJ came out?

if you're still chasing girls at warped tour at 27, you have problems btw lol.

I dont know their relationship status at that point. I also stated that even at 27, it wasnt that long ago they were chasing girls. And usually songs are written some years before. 

I'm fine with them channeling their youth and writing songs about past times and past vibes. They've been doing it since Enema. As long as they continue to also write about things relevant to them currently, which they do, I find it completely ok and enjoyable.

41 minutes ago, horchata said:

I think the most true lyric in California is Mark's "I'm a cardboard cut out, old and faded".

even better, this one cali lyric is the most honest thing mark's written in years:

"there's a cynical feeling saying i should give up / you've said everything you have to say"

• Like 2

I give them props for lines like that because those are the types of subjects that seem more honest than the more superficial phony-seeming teenager lyrics. Getting older, wondering if you still got it, trying to hold onto your past and fighting feelings of being inadequate, those types of feelings are presumably pretty juicy and honest for guys in their 40s and being pretty far removed from the height of their careers (especially after all their ups and downs over the years) and I hope they feel comfortable exploring more stuff like that in the future.

There's a chance they might be happier than ever with their families and the band and everything and they just wanna write fun-in-the-sun pop hits, but Mark has always written really well about things like regrets or insecurities or good times that have gone away, I think he can still focus more on really good honest lyrics about those topics from his current place in life. At least I hope so!

• Like 6