Untitled's Popularity

blink182enema

13 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Love Untitled, but it was the worst thing that ever happened to the band.  Also spawned a lot of irritating fans expecting artsy albums. 

Box car was the worst thing that ever happened to blink 

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Love Untitled, but it was the worst thing that ever happened to the band.  Also spawned a lot of irritating fans expecting artsy albums. 

That's an interesting take. In my opinion, without Untitled they don't have nearly the same legacy or fanbase in the first place though. Sure, maybe fans would have lower expectations without it, but that's like wishing your favorite team never won a Super Bowl because then fans would be more satisfied with less wins or something. And the number of those satisfied fans would have dwindled over time.

If they never evolved past the Enema/TOYPAJ sound I think many many fans would've just stopped listening to them over the years or never gotten obsessed with the band in the first place, which I know is what @Ghent prefers at this point haha. But Untitled proved they were capable of reaching past that while still retaining the songwriting qualities that made them great in the first place. I think you're right that it made people hope/expect to get consistently great and creative music from them, but I'd much rather have Untitled + some disappointment when they underachieve (in my opinion) than to never have Untitled.

d89cf0eea431f0e7cc1f94d6bd4d3e0a.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

The album is great, but the whole period was kind of a second sellout for them. First they go to Finn and magically have pop radio sensibilities for Enema/TOYPAJ. Then in 2003, instead of pop punk jokesters they are dark emo boys, uninterested in pop punk.

Both changes worked very well for them and resulted in great music though, so I'm down.

Hmmm maybe I'm naive but I don't think they could've achieved the results they did if they were faking it. 

34 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Green Day started wearing makeup, MCR got big, screamo was a thing, BCR..then blink hopped on board too. glad they did, but also glad they didn't stay in that scene

American Idiot and MCR's big album were both 04 and I feel like a lot of the screamo stuff was right around then as well, but yeah I'm definitely glad Blink didn't ride that wave. They grew naturally with Untitled I think, if they would've gotten all gothed up and doing screamo shit in the mid-2000s that would've suuuuuuucked

• Like 1

Untitled is over rated.

Its good. But it lacks a lot of Mark. Songs like "Go" are just, not good.

It takes a huge step away from their guitar driven work. I felt they could have taken Enema and made a sad serious version and it would have been amazing. Could have been the start of a trend that had all but wiped out emo. A missed opportunity there. BCR is about as close as you will get, but had Mark been brought in and had it been a Blink album, it would have blown Untitled out of the water.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Its good. But it lacks a lot of Mark. Songs like "Go" are just, not good.

Here's Your Letter is Mark's best imo which makes up for it.  Feelin This, Go, Stockholm Syndrome are strong Mark, although you can tell Go was probably put in there for the very reason of too much Tom. 

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

It takes a huge step away from their guitar driven work. I felt they could have taken Enema and made a sad serious version and it would have been amazing. Could have been the start of a trend that had all but wiped out emo. A missed opportunity there. BCR is about as close as you will get, but had Mark been brought in and had it been a Blink album, it would have blown Untitled out of the water.

This I wholeheartedly disagree with.  It's less riffy but the guitar work is excellent and tighter. It's the first time he's really ventured outside of power cords.  Stockholm Syndrome, Here's Your Letter, Asthenia, Violence are some of Tom's best guitar and stuff like Feelin This is just extra creative and unique sound we honestly haven't really heard before.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeeannTweedenUSMC said:

All the acclaim that went to American Idiot should have gone to Untitled

A million times this.  A lot more songs on American Idiot don't translate as well without the same political climate, and as time passes it will be further and further from being relatable.  Untitled will be relatable to any person any generation from now still.

For me, it just came at a perfect time where I felt like I was maturing/growing up at the same rate as their music. I was done with the fart joke/immature stuff in Middle School, now I was in High School dealing with stuff you deal with then like relationships/some responsibilities/which crowd you want to be apart of, etc. So songs like Obvious/I Miss You/Always/Lost Without You/Down,etc. could resonate perfectly when you are dealing with that and there was an edge/angst to it that just fit that time period perfectly. It was different, it was darker, I was just picking up guitar and getting into heavier stuff. It was also back when people bought CD's and played them in their car over and over, so we were all just getting our licenses and it was cool to drive around blaring it.

I love that album, it's not my favorite, but I certainly understand for many this was their "artistic peak" as far as being taken seriously, and not just some punk kid MTV band.

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Green Day started wearing makeup, MCR got big, screamo was a thing, BCR..then blink hopped on board too. glad they did, but also glad they didn't stay in that scene

Blink never did hop on board of that IMO. They split up before all that cringe teen emo stuff started. They maybe had an influence on it, that's about it, considering this album was released in 2003. American Idiot was a year later. MCR weren't even huge in 2003, let alone 2004. They started getting noticed in 2004, the way blink did in 97-98. MCR blew up in 2006 with the Black Parade album. That was when all the cringe emo crap started IMO.

• Like 1

Its my favorite album of all time. Love the experimental work, structure of songs, the angst and the heavenly sound. 

A fun thought... I grew up in pace of the albums. I was a kid when enema was released, so the lullaby melodies struck and silly lyrics, then early teen when take off was released and then a angsty hormone-filled teen when untitled came out. So all albums harmonized well with how i was feeling.