FIFA World Cup 2018

Low Value Boy

27 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Our games had more pace than this one. Still sobbing since when we beat england? Aww. 

Where did that 'pace' get you?

I've moved on, it was over 2 years ago - maybe it's time you guys did the same rather than clinging onto it? 

We've got far bigger things to worry about at the minute.

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Where did that 'pace' get you?

I've moved on, it was over 2 years ago - maybe it's time you guys did the same rather than clinging onto it? 

We've got far bigger things to worry about at the minute.

Well. It got us into the world cup for the first time, setting the record as the smallest/fewest nation ever to participate. I think thats pretty good. 

England is a good team but were in an easy group and barely won colombia which didnt have their key player. IMO they wont go to the finals. But i hope im wrong. I like the team. 

47 minutes ago, Roux said:

Never thought i would see an England fan arguing with an Iceland fan about who's better. 

Was more just on the wind up to be honest, just having a bit of a laugh. I have mad respect for Iceland and how far they have come. 

France 1-1 Uruguay - Uruguay on pens
Brazil 2-0 Belgium
Not predicting that
Croatia 3-1 Russia

I funny story. A forward in the icelandic team popped up at my flight club. Couldnt find his keyes of his airplane hangar (he just bought an airplane). My dad had keyes. We opened and then helped him look for a manual of his airplane haha

I like watching Iceland - its interesting to see how teams try to break them down. Like Japan, their teamwork is faultless. 

France 2 Uruguay 1

Brazil 1 Belgium 2 

England 2 Sweden 0

Croatia 2 Russia 1  

44 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Confused why everyone seems to think Belgium are going to beat Brazil?

Brazil don't concede and Martinez is a tactical dunce, showed it at Everton.

Player for player there isn't much in it but Brazil are a much more well oiled machine as it stands for me. 

Whats confusing? both teams are strong, but Belgium have an inform powerful striker and players like Mertens, Hazard, De Bruyne that can supply that striker. Brazil don't and that's why i'm picking Belgium. If they can suffocate Neymar, i think they will win. 

• Like 1

I just fancy Brazil, they usually get it done at this stage in a major tournament - they keep a hell of a lot of clean sheets too, unlike Belgium.

Seems like forever since the Columbia match but happy football is back and buzzing for tomorrow, heading back to Essex and down the local for it. COME ON. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas D. said:

They lost 1-7 to Germany in quarter finals in 2014. Lost quarter finals to Netherlands in 2010, and lost quarter finals to France in 2006.

2014 was the semi final. 

Either way, Brazil have a far bigger history of success in the competition than Belgium do which is what I was trying to get at. I like how you opted to not go back to 2002 when they won it, 1998, where they got to the final and 1994 where they won it again though...

I fear you're similar to us in the 2000's, so called golden generation that can't get their shit together - man for man there isn't much in it but Brazil are much better tactically/have a better manager than you which is why I think they will win. 

3 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

2014 was the semi final. 

Either way, Brazil have a far bigger history of success in the competition than Belgium do which is what I was trying to get at. I like how you opted to not go back to 2002 when they won it, 1998, where they got to the final and 1994 where they won it again though...

I fear you're similar to us in the 2000's, so called golden generation that can't get their shit together - man for man there isn't much in it but Brazil are much better tactically/have a better manager than you which is why I think they will win. 

Oh right that was semi finals in 2014, my bad.

In any case the history of success of each country doesn't really matter. I hear Brazilians brag about how they won the Cup 5 times, as if that's gonna guarantee them to win it this year. All that matters is the players right now and the strategy that the trainer uses. Player wise we're very good, manager wise I think we're okay. Martinez is a much better pick than Wilmots in 2014, that's for sure. We might not keep a clean sheet a lot but we do score a lot as well. Keep in mind we haven't lost a match yet in either the qualifications nor the cup so far. That includes the match our reserves won against England as I'm sure you remember.

For me, Brazil lack the real top class striker. I hear Jesus might be dropped for Firmino, that would strengthen Brazil imo. 

And also think Hazard and De Bruyne are better for their team than Neymar and Courtinho. 

Agree Brazil have a better team chemistry and Martinez makes some really strange tactical decisions - but i still think Belgium have a real chance in this game.