What Realistic Blink 182 Lineup Would You Prefer?

Champ182

What Realistic Blink 182 Lineup Would You Prefer?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What Realistic Blink 182 Lineup Would You Prefer?

• Mark+Travis+Matt = Current situation with Feldmann as their co-songwriter
    • Mark+Travis+Matt = Current lineup writing their own songs
    • Mark+Tom+Travis = Same situation as before with unknown touring/recording plans because Tom finds it "hard as hell to commit"
    • Mark+Tom+Travis = Tom is still nuts but is contractually obligated to tour and write/release albums on a regular basis
    • They should have broken up in 2015

17 hours ago, Ghent said:

I would prefer Tom, Mark, and Travis with Feldmann producing

Im starting to get on board with this. They made a classic blink song (BTD) with Matt... Just imagine what they could do with Tom. 

Tom would have to give up a little control, but he would be a great counter to the Feldman ideas

• Like 1

Mark + Tom + Travis no matter the scenario. If it takes five years for every album to come out, that's fine.

blink put out three good releases as a completely dysfunctional band. Untitled was masterful. Neighborhoods took a drop in quality but they were getting back on their feet as a band (and I still liked the album). I personally thought DED was a great step in the right direction. Regardless of all the bullshit going on behind the scenes, I liked dysfunctional blink-182's output. I also got to see them live twice with Tom post-reunion and the shows were super fun, and a hell of a lot better than the time I saw them with Matt.

• Like 1

Also I think a decent alternative to breaking up would be to just stop making new music, but still touring every few years. Fans still get to see them live (I know I'd love to keep seeing them) but we wouldn't have to worry about their musical output. Not my ideal scenario, but I'd prefer it to them completely breaking up.

blink as we have them right now isn't terrible. I'd rather have what we have now than nothing. They could put out the worst music of all time and it still wouldn't change their other great albums and fun songs they play at shows. Anything is preferable to them breaking up, in my opinion.

It's like the people who hate "Disney Star Wars" who just want Star Wars to die. Fuck that. Just stick with the old Star Wars if you hate the new Star Wars so much. The old Star Wars is always still there. I love that Star Wars still exists in some form, even if the new movies aren't as good as the original movies. I feel the same about blink-182.

• Like 1

It ruins the legacy a bit though.  There's always a debate if that really matters or not, but honestly when I go back to my favorite blink songs I do get a bit flustered by Mark, wondering why he had to give up so bad. Slightly less in love with Mark after California and the way he acts in general now (stand off-ish, sales equal everything, Feldy is my boss). 

edit: specific example - FEELING THIS.  Unique song on all accounts, always cherish it,  now you get this reminder that Bored To Death also has that same drum effect intro. It now becomes somewhat saturated. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the difference with me and a lot of people here is that I don't really care about the legacy. I still like what I like. The main argument everyone has for not wanting a second Box Car album is that it would ruin the legacy. My view is that I don't care because they're not retroactively going to make the first album suck by attempting a second one. Worst case scenario, an album comes out that I don't ever want to listen to again. Best case scenario, a great second Box Car album comes out. Most likely, an album comes out with a few songs on it that I really enjoy. I say, why not try it?

• Like 1

For the record I went with the 4th option - "Mark+Tom+Travis = Tom is still nuts but is contractually obligated to tour and write/release albums on a regular basis." Obviously it’s way too late to think it’s possible for that situation now, but I think if they would’ve made an agreement like that after the reunion it would’ve been way better for everyone involved. Stricter scheduling, better contracts, and a better record label, would’ve all made a huge difference business-wise and most likely for their personal relationships too.

Music-wise I think Neighborhoods was awesome in its own messy way, and was a good first attempt at putting Blink back together with pieces of AVA, +44, and classic Blink sounds. If they would’ve actually worked together on it more it would’ve been much more focused. DED tightened things up but was a little forgettable, which is fine for a quick EP I guess. Most of all though, both of those post-reunion releases featured moments when the old Blink magic shined through, that thing that the 3 of them can only achieve when they’re all playing together and has never quite appeared in any of their non-Blink releases in my opinion.

A real schedule, similar to a shiny toy to a little kid, would’ve been a way to keep Tom’s interest. For all of his insanity and stupid projects, Travis always said he would be fully into Blink when they were actually touring or “in Blink mode.” It was after things settled down that he’d drift away again.

I also think if the three of them were obligated to get back into “Blink mode” more often and at certain times, I think it would be a kind of necessary evil to finally push through all the passive aggressive bullshit they never got over. This is pure "fan-fiction" I guess but I have always assumed they were still on eggshells around each other after the reunion, even during good times. I think Mark and Tom probably still resented each other and rolled their eyes to people about how the other one was being unreasonable and all that. Making them work together at certain times would be like when you're growing up and your parents are like "shut up already and go rake the leaves with your brother, get over yourselves and stop fighting" haha.

It’s easy and fun to blame Crazy Tom for all the drifting and miscommunication over the years (with good reason), but I don’t get the feeling that Mark ever got over the bitterness in a real way. It was probably too easy for Tom to drift to other stupid projects, and for Mark to say “well, there he goes again! no reason for me to try to work on anything or try to get in touch with him cause he’s off in crazy land again! fuck this, it’s all the same as ever! guess I’ll go back to Stonehenge!” because they never actually worked through anything. Maybe another option in the poll should’ve been “mandatory band therapy.”

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Champ182 said:

For the record I went with the 4th option - "Mark+Tom+Travis = Tom is still nuts but is contractually obligated to tour and write/release albums on a regular basis." Obviously it’s way too late to think it’s possible for that situation now, but I think if they would’ve made an agreement like that after the reunion it would’ve been way better for everyone involved. Stricter scheduling, better contracts, and a better record label, would’ve all made a huge difference business-wise and most likely for their personal relationships too.

Music-wise I think Neighborhoods was awesome in its own messy way, and was a good first attempt at putting Blink back together with pieces of AVA, +44, and classic Blink sounds. If they would’ve actually worked together on it more it would’ve been much more focused. DED tightened things up but was a little forgettable, which is fine for a quick EP I guess. Most of all though, both of those post-reunion releases featured moments when the old Blink magic shined through, that thing that the 3 of them can only achieve when they’re all playing together and has never quite appeared in any of their non-Blink releases in my opinion.

A real schedule, similar to a shiny toy to a little kid, would’ve been a way to keep Tom’s interest. For all of his insanity and stupid projects, Travis always said he would be fully into Blink when they were actually touring or “in Blink mode.” It was after things settled down that he’d drift away again.

I also think if the three of them were obligated to get back into “Blink mode” more often and at certain times, I think it would be a kind of necessary evil to finally push through all the passive aggressive bullshit they never got over. This is pure "fan-fiction" I guess but I have always assumed they were still on eggshells around each other after the reunion, even during good times. I think Mark and Tom probably still resented each other and rolled their eyes to people about how the other one was being unreasonable and all that. Making them work together at certain times would be like when you're growing up and your parents are like "shut up already and go rake the leaves with your brother, get over yourselves and stop fighting" haha.

It’s easy and fun to blame Crazy Tom for all the drifting and miscommunication over the years (with good reason), but I don’t get the feeling that Mark ever got over the bitterness in a real way. It was probably too easy for Tom to drift to other stupid projects, and for Mark to say “well, there he goes again! no reason for me to try to work on anything or try to get in touch with him cause he’s off in crazy land again! fuck this, it’s all the same as ever! guess I’ll go back to Stonehenge!” because they never actually worked through anything. Maybe another option in the poll should’ve been “mandatory band therapy.”

Will anyone bother to read these?

• Haha 1