Star Wars Kathleen Kennedy News

Alan Rickman

I liked TFA. It wasn't bad. I'll repeat that I've enjoyed every other star wars movie. 

The Last Jedi butchered Luke, made Kylo Ren more of a pussy than he was to start with, killed off any interesting mystery the first movie set up. Yeah that's probably what they wanted to go with to be edgy and different but Jesus. 

I really want to like it. I've watched it several times since but it gets worse. I really want episode 9 to be good. If it is I'll gladly suck your cock. 

And for the love of God is it so hard to have two capable lightsaber weilders to go at eachother?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

The lack of good Star Wars games is really what bums me out.

I'm amazed that with Star Wars hype an at all-time high all they've made is two Battlefronts.

I just saw a rumor that part of Episode 9 will take place back at the Yavin base from A New Hope / Rogue One. I don't know why, but that makes me happy, if true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

I want a game that gets nerdy as fuck but isn’t a straight up RPG. Like Zelda. The KOTOR storyline is amazing but it’s held back by the boring combat. 

Agreed. I also don't really have the time or willpower to invest in massive RPGs anymore. I've been sort of wanting to replay KOTOR for a few years, but it's such a massive time commitment. I don't know if I ever will.

Completely unrelated comment, but the guy who played Jar Jar Binks admitted today on Twitter that the backlash he received from The Phantom Menace almost drove him to suicide.

Again, Star Wars fans can be the absolute fucking worst.

I just don’t really get it. I’m happy we’re getting new Star Wars and I’m happy we’re getting new blink, even if I have some problems with both of them. There was a period of time when it seemed like we would never get new blink or Star Wars again. I’m just glad we’re getting something.

I imagine the last few years with no SW and no blink, and how would that be remotely better than what we have gotten?  Don’t have to love every aspect, but damn people, enjoy what you can and don’t dwell on the things you dislike.

• Like 2

I think the Star Wars prequel and sequel trilogies are fairly criticized. Each for different reasons. They have their pros and cons, but mostly just cant recapture the OT magic. I think its nearly impossible at this point. They would need to catch lightning in a bottle. Great story, director, acting, etc. 

Speaking of the Jar Jar guy, remember the kid who played Anakin in Ep1 is like schizophrenic now or something. Im hoping these problems are more because of being disappointed in themselves in a billion dollar franchise than people actually hating and being assholes to them. They dont deserve that obviously. Ill hate on Jar Jar/Anakin characters and laugh at jokes about them, but the actors are great people to me.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the criticism is completely fair. It's when "fans" use disliking something as an excuse to attack people and spread hatred that it becomes a problem, and sadly that's a big problem with Star Wars, and has been since the prequel days.

Ahmed Best (Jar Jar) almost killed himself because of the backlash. Jake Lloyd is schizophrenic but he grew up very angry and bitter, absolutely despising Star Wars because of the fan backlash and hatred he received. I've watched interviews with him where he's talked about it. I can't remember if this was when he was promoting The Last Jedi or The Force Awakens, but there was a video where Mark Hamill was talking about how disgusted he was by the way people treated Jake Lloyd. Kelly Marie Tran (Rose) recently quit social media because she was relentlessly bullied and harassed by people who hated The Last Jedi and hated her character. Daisy Ridley left social media a while back for the same reason. Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy have unreal amounts of hatred and harassment directed at them non-stop all over the internet. So did George, before he sold the franchise. It's really depressing.

You can not like a movie. You can criticize a movie. I have plenty of movies, characters, actors, and directors that I don't like. Tons! That's all fine, no problem there. But people take things way, way too far with personal attacks, harassment, and hatred. It's been happening forever with Star Wars. It sucks that it took this long but I'm glad that more people are finally speaking up about it and calling it out. The people behind Star Wars are just that: people. It's not fair to try to ruin their lives and threaten their livelihoods because you didn't like a fucking movie.

Anyway, as for the Kathleen thing, I think as the head of Lucasfilm she's just the scapegoat everyone uses for all of their Star Wars complaints. She's the easy target, because she's the president. She's not the one actually writing the damn movies though. She's involved, sure, but I don't think she is involved in everything to the same extent that George Lucas was when he was in charge. They have a whole Lucasfilm Story Group now, which didn't exist back in the George Lucas days. I think most of the criticism she receives is unwarranted. It's just easier to blame one specific person than it is to blame a large group of people whose names you've mostly never even heard of. There is a huge group of people writing and creating the stories for these movies. I absolutely love Rogue One and Solo. I think The Last Jedi is pretty good. And even though The Force Awakens is my least favorite Star Wars movie, I still like it. Personally, I think Kennedy is doing a great job with Lucasfilm so far. I can understand where some of the complaints are coming from, but I don't really agree with them.

The Star Wars films under her are the only ones I genuinely like. Rogue One, Force Awakens and TLJ are pretty damn fun films. they're not cinema magic or amazing story telling, all have their faults, but they're entertaining and engaging. TLJ is probably my favourite of the three, but Rogue One is close.

I have seen the originals (thanks to my obsessive fiancee), and the prequels (thanks to naive parents taking me to the cinema as a kid thinking they'd be worth watching), and never liked any of them particularly and I've never understood the rabid fandom, but whatever - I don't hate them, I just don't get it.

so to see these films that I actually found refreshing and gave me interest in the franchise for the first time ever get unnecessarily ripped apart by aggressive mouth breathing fan boys is both awful and hilarious to me. Yes, TLJ is flawed... but so are the originals. there are so many silly moments, bad plot points, and stupid parts of the entire franchise that to get bent out of shape over the new ones seems really pathetic. Star Wars isn't a well written masterpiece. it isn't Shakespeare. it's actually incredibly simplistic and predictable. it's the warm bowl of tomato soup of movies. 

The new Star Wars films won't make you feel like you did when you were a kid. grow up. get over it. it's for the new kids now. and you know what? it could be so much worse. 

• Like 2

I saw TLJ opening night, didn't like it very much. Saw it a second time, liked it a little more than the first time. Just watched it last week for the first time since January and I just...was so bored. The opinions surrounding it and the general vibe of conversations all so silly and convoluted and so many people try to scream racism or sexism or whatever, regardless of whether negative or positive. I don't care about any of that stuff. I just genuinely think it was a mediocre movie with some great moments hidden under a weak plot with bad pacing. Do I enjoy the prequels? Yes, but they're trash movies. They've got some good things here and there, but mostly they're good for comedic and nostalgic value to me. Whether a movie is good or not is largely subjective, so I have no problem with people liking TLJ.

Having said that, I'm curious. To anyone who liked TLJ:

What makes Rose a good character to you? This isn't about the actress and people need to stop making it about that. I just find the character boring. Same with the entire Canto Bight part, I just want it to end every time I watch it.

Why did you like how the movie takes place over such a short amount of time? It felt more like EP 7.5 rather than a brand new one to me, even with the 2.5 hour runtime.

Does the scale feel right to you? Since TFA, I feel like this particular struggle is tiny and I don't care about the Resistance or the First Order at all.

What's next? I see people say it was fresh and different from the rest of the franchise, but the struggle of the world is exactly the same and ends with...big bad empire vs. small rebel force.

I look forward to the totally rational, great discussion this is bound to create.

• Like 1

I had a bunch of issues with TLJ the first time I saw it, but now the only problem I really have is Canto Bight. The entire Canto Bight part is very boring to me, which sucks because it’s a pretty big chunk of the movie. I think if you had the exact same movie, but without any of the Canto Bight stuff, it’d be awesome.

though, I did like DJ. He was an interesting character.

I like Rose too. She’s not one of my favorite Star Wars characters by any means, but I like her because she’s kind of just a normal person, thrown into this gigantic galaxy-changing conflict. She’s not a Jedi, she’s not a pilot, she’s not a stormtrooper, she’s not a senator, she’s not a smuggler. She’s just a normal person. I kind of like getting that perspective for once.

It was so awesome to see Vader be a total bad ass in rogue one. 

They need a villain that's actually decent. Going into the last movie without anyone that commands respect is a little hard to get excited for. 

2 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

I do like Rey as a character and they've done good by setting her up but they have been complete shit at setting her up with an antagonist. 

This is why I hope there is no redemption for Kylo Ren. I hope the next movie takes place a few years in the future (mostly because that's one of the only ways I could justify having Leia be gone. Saying she died off screen is easier if many years have passed in-universe) and that Kylo Ren has just become completely enveloped by the dark side. No more being tempted by the light. No more moral dilemmas because both of his parents are gone. He's just pure evil now. If he is redeemed and goes back to the light, it will feel cheap because he was always leaning towards the light the entire trilogy. I hope he becomes a massive threat, completely evil, and then dies, still evil.