Star Wars Kathleen Kennedy News

Alan Rickman

Just now, Ghent said:

You don't even know the full story yet Mike. Calm your vagina hating ass down.

That's so lame.  You've only watched 2 movies, wait for the third before you decide what you liked or didn't about those first 2 films.  Again I return to the MCU, I can and have judged each film individually.  And sure while things from past films pop up and get further explained in later films, this content never makes me radically re-evaluate any of the films before it.  That, in my opinion, is how you do good proper storytelling with films that are part of an ongoing series.

• Like 1

It's hilarious that no one ever complained about 9 year old Anakin Skywalker being able to win podraces using the force with no training (something no human had ever been able to do) or his ability to pilot a starship and shoot down a space station having never flown anything in his life.

But Rey. that bitch has way too many powers. Fire Kennedy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

It's hilarious that no one ever complained about 9 year old Anakin Skywalker being able to win podraces using the force with no training (something no human had ever been able to do) or his ability to pilot a starship and shoot down a space station having never flown anything in his life.

But Rey. that bitch has way too many powers. Fire Kennedy.

LOL I have plenty of complaints about 9 year old Anakin, but I'm long over giving the prequels shit, Lucas isn't a part of the franchise now, so what would be the point in continuing to delve into how badly he fucked up the prequels now?  At least with Kathleen, things are active, it is worth looking into how she is handling the franchise at the present.

The point is that there is likely to be an explanation for Rey having more powers without training that has been seen before. To write it all off as ruined when the story isn't complete is ridiculous.

And then saying it's because Rey is female and Kennedy is running some kind of political campaign to ram equality down our throats? c'mon Mike. leave that stuff to the Trumpers.

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

The point is that there is likely to be an explanation for Rey having more powers without training that has been seen before. To write it all off as ruined when the story isn't complete is ridiculous.

And then saying it's because Rey is female and Kennedy is running some kind of political campaign to ram equality down our throats? c'mon Mike. leave that stuff to the Trumpers.

I know, I recognized that you were saying that maybe in the future a reason for her being so OP will be retconned in or revealed as some sort of twist.  My point is that even if that is the case, then that is still sloppy and bad storytelling.  A reveal that's awesome is finding out Vader is Luke's dad, and nothing leading up to that moment made us question whether or not we even enjoyed Vader as a villain.  The reveal was awesome, but nothing in the series had been reliant on that revelation being disclosed to make the content before it actually enjoyable or not.  I'm sure Rey has some dumbass reason as to why she is the way that she is, but my point is they're giving us Superman now, and are only going to reveal long after we've supposed to have been invested in the flawless character, that oh, he actually does have one weakness: kryptonite.

4 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I haven't watched TLJ, but is there still some chance Rey is Obi-Wan's daughter?

TLJ declares that Rey is a nobody and that her parents are nobodies. This information comes from Kylo however.

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

I know, I recognized that you were saying that maybe in the future a reason for her being so OP will be retconned in or revealed as some sort of twist.  My point is that even if that is the case, then that is still sloppy and bad storytelling.  A reveal that's awesome is finding out Vader is Luke's dad, and nothing leading up to that moment made us question whether or not we even enjoyed Vader as a villain.  The reveal was awesome, but nothing in the series had been reliant on that revelation being disclosed to make the content before it actually enjoyable or not.  I'm sure Rey has some dumbass reason as to why she is the way that she is, but my point is they're giving us Superman now, and are only going to reveal long after we've supposed to have been invested in the flawless character, that oh, he actually does have one weakness: kryptonite.

So if Rey would have been tested and they told her she had "thuper duper high midichlorian levels" you would have been cool with her being powerful without training?

Now that's bad story telling.

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So if Rey would have been tested and they told her she had "thuper duper high midichlorian levels" you would have been cool with her being powerful without training?

Now that's bad story telling.

I dunno, maybe her happening upon an actual Jedi that recognizes something in her and decides to tell her about herself and train her would have been much more acceptable (now why does that premise sound so familiar for the first film in a Star Wars trilogy...) and then you know he recognizes that she is unlike any other Jedi he's come across, as she's incredibly more powerful, but doesn't yet know why.  Now that would be how you could properly set up something interesting like that.

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

So she's likely not a nobody. huh

It's possible. It's also possible that what he said is "from a certain point of view" like Obi-Wan telling Luke Vader killed his dad. Or it's possible he was lying. I'd say the door is still fairly open to do what they want.

2 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I dunno, maybe her happening upon an actual Jedi that recognizes something in her and decides to tell her about herself and train her would have been much more acceptable (now why does that premise sound so familiar for the first film in a Star Wars trilogy...) and then you know he recognizes that she is unlike any other Jedi he's come across, as she's incredibly more powerful, but doesn't yet know why.  Now that would be how you could properly set up something interesting like that.

But why can't she be powerful without training?

Does every force sensitive, powerful individual in your SW have to receive training? Perhaps she's powerful because she believes in the force without a second guess (unlike Ep. 5 Luke).

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's possible. It's also possible that what he said is "from a certain point of view" like Obi-Wan telling Luke Vader killed his dad. Or it's possible he was lying. I'd say the door is still fairly open to do what they want.

But why can't she be powerful without training?

Does every force sensitive, powerful individual in your SW have to receive training? Perhaps she's powerful because she believes in the force without a second guess (unlike Ep. 5 Luke).

She can be powerful without training, in fact that's what I was trying to say.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What I was saying is the old Jedi recognizes something in Rey, and takes her aside to talk with her and with intentions to train her, but after a simple excercise, he quickly sees that she's even more powerful than him, she didn't need training, just guidance on how to access that part of her.  That would work soooooo much better for the set up of Rey as a character for me.

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I still think there's a reason Rey was on a shit planet, along with the Millennium Falcon, and an old guy familiar with the Skywalkers had the only map to Luke Skywalker nearby...

Oh I'm sure they got something cooked up for an explanation.  I just don't like the kind of storytelling where its clear that there is a twist coming but you don't yet know the twist, especially when that thought carries over multiple films.  Part of the reason that the Vader-father reveal works so well is that on that first viewing, is that no one sees it coming because there were no real hints of there being anything interesting to Luke's lineage at that point, and as the audience, we just assumed his parents were dead since he had been living with his aunt and uncle.  Conversely, no matter what the explanation for why Rey is the way that she is, it's going to be completely underwhelming, because we all know something is up, but if something isn't up, then she's just a horribly written character.  Either way, its a disappointment.