Star Wars Kathleen Kennedy News

Alan Rickman

Whether or not Kathleen Kennedy is a scapegoat, Im glad its happening and it shows they expect more out of these movies. 

I dont know what to expect for Episode 9. I dont know if they botched certain characters like Finn, who was a total afterthought in Last Jedi. Rey also seems to be less important than Kylo Ren. I expected them to make the hero the most interesting but it turns out that the Solo/Skywalker blood is still the standout star. Adam Driver is the best actor by a long shot. Its laughable comparing him to Carrie Fisher or all the other happy-to-be-there actors. 

I mean she released three of the most successful movies of all time in three years. It’d be silly to let her go. Solo is the only one that isn’t doing amazing, and I think it’s more to bad timing than anything. Coming out so soon after TLJ with hardly any promotion was a mistake. Not to mention sandwiching it between Infinity War, Deadpool 2, and Incredibles 2. Bad timing and marketing aside, the movie is great.

On 05/07/2018 at 8:07 PM, Whales said:

I saw TLJ opening night, didn't like it very much. Saw it a second time, liked it a little more than the first time. Just watched it last week for the first time since January and I just...was so bored. The opinions surrounding it and the general vibe of conversations all so silly and convoluted and so many people try to scream racism or sexism or whatever, regardless of whether negative or positive. I don't care about any of that stuff. I just genuinely think it was a mediocre movie with some great moments hidden under a weak plot with bad pacing. Do I enjoy the prequels? Yes, but they're trash movies. They've got some good things here and there, but mostly they're good for comedic and nostalgic value to me. Whether a movie is good or not is largely subjective, so I have no problem with people liking TLJ.

Having said that, I'm curious. To anyone who liked TLJ:

1. What makes Rose a good character to you? This isn't about the actress and people need to stop making it about that. I just find the character boring. Same with the entire Canto Bight part, I just want it to end every time I watch it.

2. Why did you like how the movie takes place over such a short amount of time? It felt more like EP 7.5 rather than a brand new one to me, even with the 2.5 hour runtime.

3. Does the scale feel right to you? Since TFA, I feel like this particular struggle is tiny and I don't care about the Resistance or the First Order at all.

4. What's next? I see people say it was fresh and different from the rest of the franchise, but the struggle of the world is exactly the same and ends with...big bad empire vs. small rebel force.

I look forward to the totally rational, great discussion this is bound to create.

1. I don't think she's an amazing character by any stretch, but "my sister was just killed and I'm going to do everything I can to help out even though there's nothing special about me" is pretty damn endearing. 

2. I actually love the fact that it takes place over such a short amount of time. it's like a TV bottle episode, the whole "We're running out of fuel and they're gaining on us" it's also more of a sci fi plot than a general adventure plot which is surprisingly rare for bloody Star Wars which barely dabbles in real sci fi at all. stepping outside of the "huge" zipping about adventures that are the usual Star Wars fare to bring it to a simple "there's a time on the clock and then we're screwed" angle is really refreshing. People were angry that Force Awakens was too fan servicey and just a re-do of A New Hope, so why is everyone mad when they do something different to the usual Star Wars for this film? you've still got your nostalgia rip off with all the Luke stuff, let us have something actually different. 

3. The resistance and first order struggle is a parallel of the original struggle. the scale of it is exactly the same, the difference is that in TLJ the resistance are even worse off, and the tension for TLJ is that they're the last of it... once they're gone, that's it. the scale seems fine to me. 

4. the struggle was the same, but the method of telling it was different, thats what felt fresh about it. All Star Wars is is "big bad empire vs small rebel force" there's not a lot of nuance and depth to it, it's just "We're the underdog good guys, they're the tyrannical bad guys, lets shoot some lasers" if it differed too far from that the majority of people would see it as unrecognisable with Star Wars and be furious no matter how good or bad it was. 

TLJ was the first time in my life I ever walked out of a Star Wars movie feeling genuinely disappointed. I remember feeling a little bummed that TFA was essentially an A New Hope remake too, but I liked it enough and the hype of getting a brand new SW after so long overshadowed it. I was disappointed walking out of TLJ for the first time.

But every time I watch the movie I like it more. I just watched it again last night and it's pretty fucking awesome. I had a lot of issues with it the first time I saw it, I was upset that Luke had turned into a grumpy old asshole, but now the only complaint I have is that Canto Bight is a boring section of the movie. I even like Luke now!

Though overall the movie is not one of my favorites, I think it has some of the best scenes of any SW movie ever. The Luke/Yoda scene is my favorite. Kylo and Rey fighting the guards is amazing. Luke's final showdown with Kylo Ren kicks so much ass. I even think the "space Leia" scene that everyone hates is awesome.

It feels kinda silly to say this, but this little tribute video honestly changed the way I see the movie:

3 minutes ago, justastupidkid said:

Too young to remember the prequels, hey?

I was a kid for the prequels, so I loved them! I was about the same age as Anakin when The Phantom Menace came out. I loved that movie. I loved Jar Jar. I still do, actually. I think I was exactly the right age to appreciate the prequels.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I like Rose too. She’s not one of my favorite Star Wars characters by any means, but I like her because she’s kind of just a normal person, thrown into this gigantic galaxy-changing conflict. She’s not a Jedi, she’s not a pilot, she’s not a stormtrooper, she’s not a senator, she’s not a smuggler. She’s just a normal person. I kind of like getting that perspective for once.

But isn't that just Rey's character?

On 7/10/2018 at 7:43 PM, Ghent said:

I’m pretty sure I shed a fanboy tear when I first saw space Leia. Epic moment. Love that she got to have a unique force power like that

I just can't understand this feeling at all.  It took me completely out of the movie.  Leia looked weak through both sequel movies and then suddenly has the ability to do that?   Feels too much like a deus ex machina ass pull then anything thought out.

9 minutes ago, darkarrow said:

I just can't understand this feeling at all.  It took me completely out of the movie.  Leia looked weak through both sequel movies and then suddenly has the ability to do that?   Feels too much like a deus ex machina ass pull then anything thought out.

There was only one sequel movie before TLJ and although she wasn't featured prominently, she didn't look weak in it.

• Like 1

I don't like how political Kathleen made Star Wars.  Like I always knew there has been some slight references to real world politics, but the fact that she's chosen to jam that down our throats with a series that was once pretty much universally beloved is really shitty.  Like I get it, she's all about diversity and girl-power, but when you take that stuff too far with a franchise that was already well established and never really got much into that stuff, well then it isn't hard to see how and why the Star Wars fandom is more polarized than ever.  

This image has become the only thing I think about when I hear Kathleen's name now:
6aw3vw8uep501.jpg

Like seriously?  The force is not gendered, and if the implication is that the force was only male before, well at least before they weren't shoving that "fact" in our faces. I dunno, I'm not a fan of her leadership with the Star Wars franchise at all.  Don't get me wrong, if Lucas was only making films on the level of the prequels, I wouldn't want him to be in charge either.  What Star Wars needs is its own Kevin Feige at the helm.  Whether you like the MCU or not, you can't deny that there are clearly thought out plans for the future of the franchise, somehow everyone seems to be on the same page, and no agenda seems to be getting needlessly shoehorned into the films.  Here we are 20 films into it in only 10 years, and yet they still continue to perform incredibly well, with 2 films from this year ranking among the highest grossed in the franchise (Infinity War actually so far being the highest grossing film in the franchise).  Someone like him (keep in mind it by no means has to be a dude, that's not my point at all) in control of Star Wars would be way more comforting for me at this point.

4 minutes ago, darkarrow said:

To me she did.  She stood around and cried, without doing much of anything.

She was the leader of the Resistance and a General

Just now, M!ke said:

I don't like how political Kathleen made Star Wars.  Like I always knew there has been some slight references to real world politics, but the fact that she's chosen to jam that down our throats with a series that was once pretty much universally beloved is really shitty.  Like I get it, she's all about diversity and girl-power, but when you take that stuff too far with a franchise that was already well established and never really got much into that stuff, well then it isn't hard to see how and why the Star Wars fandom is more polarized than ever.  

This image has become the only thing I think about when I hear Kathleen's name now:
6aw3vw8uep501.jpg

Like seriously?  The force is not gendered, and if the implication is that the force was only male before, well at least before they weren't shoving that "fact" in our faces. I dunno, I'm not a fan of her leadership with the Star Wars franchise at all.  Don't get me wrong, if Lucas was only making films on the level of the prequels, I wouldn't want him to be in charge either.  What Star Wars needs is its own Kevin Feige at the helm.  Whether you like the MCU or not, you can't deny that there are clearly thought out plans for the future of the franchise, somehow everyone seems to be on the same page, and no agenda seems to be getting needlessly shoehorned into the films.  Here we are 20 films into it in only 10 years, and yet they still continue to perform incredibly well, with 2 films from this year ranking among the highest grossed in the franchise (Infinity War actually so far being the highest grossing film in the franchise).  Someone like him (keep in mind it by no means has to be a dude, that's not my point at all) in control of Star Wars would be way more comforting for me at this point.

Oh get over it ya sexist. There's nothing wrong with females finding a prominent place in SW.

You're proof that the reason so many people hate on Kennedy is because she's a female. Nothing to do with her actual job performance.

It's not political for a woman to have pride that SW is giving bigger roles to women. If that bothers you then you're a POS.

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Oh get over it ya sexist. There's nothing wrong with females finding a prominent place in SW.

You're proof that the reason so many people hate on Kennedy is because she's a female. Nothing to do with her actual job performance.

It's not political for a woman to have pride that SW is giving bigger roles to women. If that bothers you then you're a POS.

lol, you know I'm not a sexist Ghent, I've posted on this forum for years with you and have never been the kind of guy to say or do sexist things.  You know that is not where I'm coming from at all with this.  And it sucks that people will just shut you down with such rhetoric just so that they don't actually have to entertain your opinion.

Read through my post all the way, as I said a new person in charge, someone like Kevin Feige, but doesn't have to be a dude, would be so much more welcome to me.  Plus, I love a lot of her work in the past, it just sucks that she took this agenda to a series that was never caught up in all that nonsense.

Being triggered by "The Force is Female" homemade t-shirts is sexist, sorry.

They don't make "The Force is Male" t-shirts because the force has already been male since 1978. It's not that big of a deal and certainly not politicization to make a dumb girl power t-shirt and take a photo.

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Being triggered by "The Force is Female" homemade t-shirts is sexist, sorry.

They don't make "The Force is Male" t-shirts because the force has already been male since 1978. It's not that big of a deal and certainly not politicization to make a dumb girl power t-shirt and take a photo.

lol, these buzzwords like triggered just crack me up the more that people use them. Guess I don't understand how I can enjoy the MCU so much, a series that doesn't shove an agenda down our throats and has a bunch of badass female characters with flaws mind you, this might be the biggest problem with modern SW: girl-power! Our jedi are better than your old jedi, they're like Luke but 100 times more powerful, female and not a single flaw! Training? Who needs it!? We're girls, and everything just comes more natural and easy to us!  Seriously, its like a child inventing a super hero, they inevitably always invent essentially Super Man, because they aren't thinking about the character's trials and troubles, and are only interested in creating the most power hero ever!!!1

That's what Kathleen Kennedy reminds me of, an overeager child that wants her vision to be what Star Wars is now without taking the natural steps to get there.  And so instead we see things like Rey somehow knowing she can get a Storm Trooper to leave her alone in a room by using the force on I believe the first day she found out she even had such powers without knowing that that was even a part of said powers.  

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Did you forget when Leia was using the force in the OG trilogy? Maybe KK did, but come on, it hasn't been exclusively men ever.

See this is what frustrates me. I have no issue with there being female Jedi or that a female Jedi is our lead.  Its just so lame that she just happens to be the best jedi ever without ever trying.  While every male Jedi we've seen needed a lot of training before they could do anything crazy with their force powers.  It just screams "Anything you can do, I can do better."