When Your Heart Stops Beating is better than California ever was

Mau5

Mark's WYHSB is "better" than Mark's new blink-182  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree?

• Agree
    • Disagree

10 hours ago, boxelder said:

WYHSB is easily mark’s most accomplished statement as a songwriter and musician. it successfully stays true to his roots while not being afraid to push boundaries either. his lyrics carry a vulnerability found nowhere else in his catalogue (besides perhaps apple shampoo/adams/go) and they’re so well crafted it makes you really wonder why he’s doing what he’s doing now. that said, it’s not totally perfect, and has areas it could improve in. but those are few and far between, really. being lazy and fearful of writers block probably led to where we’re at, but WHYHSB stands as one time mark had something to prove, and fought his way through to make something totally his.

What do you feel could be improved on this record, out of curiosity? 

5 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Agree.

I'd argue that the first two Angels and Airwaves albums, +44, Boxcar Racer, and every pre-California release are better than California. The only era of Blink worse than California is the Mark-driven Neighborhoods songs that Tom had no hand in. 

I'll take Hearts All Gone, Fighting the Gravity, and MH4.13 over California anyday

4 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Not sure about that. I think the Mark songs on that are pretty damn good. Kaleidoscope is up there with the best of the best when it comes to blink songs IMO. Fighting the Gravity I can understand why people hate it but I love it when blink do the weird experimental stuff, so for me it's a top song. Heart's All Gone is great too, especially lyrically. MH is a bit boring though haha, can give you that. Lyrically it's very good outside of the helicopter line I think though.

I can see the merits in the songs lyrically and from a production standpoint. I like Hearts All Gone and Kaleidoscope, both great lyrically. Fighting the Gravity and MH 202318 are both pretty bad to me. MH was the worst current era Blink song until they laid an even bigger turd in Parking Lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kvothe said:

I can see the merits in the songs lyrically and from a production standpoint. I like Hearts All Gone and Kaleidoscope, both great lyrically. Fighting the Gravity and MH 202318 are both pretty bad to me. MH was the worst current era Blink song until they laid an even bigger turd in Parking Lot.

MH75736264585939 is a guilty pleasure of mine, I know people don't like it generally but the chorus hook does it for me (apart from the helicopter line)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Yeah, FTG is definitely one of those songs that blink fans will either love or hate haha. Personally I love it though. I think if Tom actually had input on MH, it would've turned out closer to the DED song or something cause the vibes and sounds of both songs aren't that different. But you can tell DED is more of a band effort compared to MH which is pretty much a Mark solo song.

3 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

MH75736264585939 is a guilty pleasure of mine, I know people don't like it generally but the chorus hook does it for me (apart from the helicopter line)

I don't think it's an awful song either, just really boring. Sounds like a +44 demo which isn't a bad thing but imagine that song if it was properly worked on rather than rushed in last minute song writing sessions. I remember that was one of the final songs they wrote for Neighborhoods in the last minute, so it was definitely rushed, but probably nowhere near as rushed as the songs of California. Probably would've been an amazing song if blink took time with it.

Somehow the California double album or bonus album or whatever made me like Neighborhoods more. Not that the music got better with time like Untitled did for me, but I judge it less harsher in retrospect. It used to be one of my least favorite works by blink and my expectations were unreasonably high and I was pissed they weren't met. But now that I can just listen and enjoy, I realized most of the songs are always better than I remember.

But c'mon, as for this poll, WYHSB is like the best thing Hoppus has ever done. Dude was firing on all cylinders.

I really wish he'd work with more female musicians. Mark's voice worked great with Carol. And I liked the Amy Shark song too.

• Like 2

I like WYHSB but it's never been a perfect record for me. a few great songs, a few snorers, a few boring instrumental choices. It's was earnest and honest which I appreciated, but it really showed the shallowness of Mark's capabilities as a musician. 

I will take the +44 record over basically all AVA releases and California easily, but it doesn't meet my blink standards either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Whales said:

Why do so many hate MH4.18.2011? I don't think it's great or anything, but I enjoy it enough and I regularly see negative comments on it.

I have no idea, I've always liked it. 

13 hours ago, Blink182life-4life said:

What do you feel could be improved on this record, out of curiosity? 

i always thought make you smile, while very enjoyable, is a pretty obvious postal service ripoff. it serves a place within the sequencing of the album (sad sad sad happy happy) but it just doesn't quite work for me. little death's a little boring to me too

wyhsb is a record i dig out every once in a while and listen through in one sitting. Then i think to myself : "Woah this is so great, I need to listen to this more often!"

then i forget about it until i dig it out 2 years later and the exact same thing happens...it kinda has staying power, but i need a rest from it everytime i hear it. though i agree it's mark's best work since 2003!

as for mh204556456, i think the chorus is okay (except for the overhyped helicopter line), but the verses are like nails on a chalkboard for me...i don't know why.

It's lightyears ahead of Cali but still not an album I listen to very often at all. The lyrics are great, and it's definitely solid overall, but if anything I wish their original plan would've worked out and they went a little more in that Postal Service style instead of ending up more straight forward rock with those 2 other dudes.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:20 PM, MSandt said:

I bet the vast majority of you pretend WYHSB appreciators have listened to the album maybe once in the past five years or so.

I agree. There's been a fake fandom for this band since the beginning when it was supposed to be some kind of indie electronic band with a chick singer.

Most of the lyrics that were posted on their webpage still make me cringe. I just remember hated seeing those lines out of context and I hated hearing them on the album, and I'd probably love them if they hadn't been posted on the page.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:08 PM, Mau5 said:

One more than California tbh.

And again, this isn't really a argument or a thread dedicated to the album being amazing by any means - though some may feel that way about it. It is more of a discussion on how much better it is than California, in so many ways. I agree with the previous posts though that, I think Mark really does see it as a failure because of the downgrade of venues and attendance and numbers. Mark seems to really, really care about his outside verification - which would be a big hint as to why we see him constantly trying to be fresh in "his" scene and dying his hair stupid fucking colors in his 40s. 

3abf8e3ce0a7b36dc27f8eed8bff0c49.jpg

Talk about a giant slab of FAN-FIC.

• Haha 1