Up All Night a look back

Chewy030

16 minutes ago, SimonSinick said:

And they weren’t wrong...

Tom's AvA influence didn't ruin the album. I thought it had a good impact on songs like Ghost on the Dance Floor, This Is Home, etc.

His inability to work with them throughout the recording process and leaving Mark and Travis to do the bulk of the recording was the main issue. 

• Like 4

My opinion hasn't changed. I've always liked the song, but it wasn't a good comeback single. Had they came back with something like BTD the entire Neighborhoods era would have had a better vibe. UAN just wasn't a hit. but i suppose it was their best shot at one on that album.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Ghent said:

My opinion hasn't changed. I've always liked the song, but it wasn't a good comeback single. Had they came back with something like BTD the entire Neighborhoods era would have had a better vibe. UAN just wasn't a hit. but i suppose it was their best shot at one on that album.

I still think Even if She Falls was the best contender for a single. That's the closest to TOYPAJ that Blink has sounded since TOYPAJ. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

I still think Even if She Falls was the best contender for a single. That's the closest to TOYPAJ that Blink has sounded since TOYPAJ. 

I agree with you on the riff haha. Always felt that riff was very TOYPAJ sounding, but the rest of the song sounds like generic AVA to me. For some reason, when I show people the more "recent" blink stuff, it's Wishing Well that tends to stick in their heads. I've heard people hum out the ladadada part or sing it quietly without themselves even noticing it. Makes me think that would've been a good choice as a single.

Just wish that song had more balls on it with the guitar. The guitar tone of that almost sounds like those classic video games from the early 90's or something.

Give After Midnight a more exciting bridge and I think that would have been the best single the album could have had to offer. I think that song could have been huge with the right push. It could easily appeal to the casual I Miss You fans around the world, I think.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Yeah that would have been great, it has the simplicity of TOYPAJ instrumentally with similar style riffs, but a more mature vibe. I think they probably really wanted to have a Tom + Mark song as their comeback single though. Now that I'm listening to the song it actually might have been even cooler if Mark came in singing on that higher second verse (or vice versa). Oh what could've been! Haha

7 hours ago, Scott. said:

Tom’s voice makes me ill on new blink songs. It’s repulsive. Some genuinely great songs but he doesn’t deliver them well. Think how good those songs would be with boxcar/Untitled tom voice. 

WHAT DO YOU FHEEL MY LUUUUUUUUHV YOR SOUL IT WILL FLOAT LIKE A DAAAOOHVE

jokes aside i can't dislike his voice. even if he sings like a weirdo sometimes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Give After Midnight a more exciting bridge and I think that would have been the best single the album could have had to offer. I think that song could have been huge with the right push. It could easily appeal to the casual I Miss You fans around the world, I think.

They brdige they use to do live would of sounded killer on the album. 

• Like 4

After Midnight and GOTD both sounded better live than they ended up sounding on the record. I thought both of those songs had hit potential based on the live performances i was listening to.

Which is totally backwards for blink

• Like 3

Up All Night could possibly be the worst live song blink can perform. Even Mark sounded shit on it as far back as the early performances and this was back when he was still singing pretty well for blink.

Despite that though, it was fun hearing the song live. Wish they played it more still. Heart's All Gone could've been the best blink song ever if it had Tom playing guitar on it instead of Mark, as well as the call and response style of vocals. They killed that live. I remember hearing After Midnight for the first time and I was in love with it straight away. That song sounded fucking huge. The bridge was so spot on. I could hear what Tom was talking about when he mentioned "stadium rock" in the interviews pre-Neighborhoods. Then when it was played on BBC radio for the first time, it was just boring. Good song but wow, what a let down at the same time.

I liked hearing GOTDF live too. It's almost similar to the album version apart from that bridge, which is just synths and guitars and a crazy drum solo cluttering together.

I was happy when this song came out but let down by the song. The one that seemed like generated the most interest was Ghost on the Dancefloor looking back. I remember hating it when it first came out, but Natives brought back the love. Kaleidoscope was such a great song.

• Like 1