The Show (Soundtrack) Taylor Steele 1998

luisbootlegs

6 hours ago, Speedo said:

I Won't Be Home, yes ... Mutt, no.

This version of Mutt just sounds like a demo to me, I guess that's why I thought it was.

it's the old whatever-you-heard-first i suppose. mutt was the only mutt for like a year and a half, so the enema mutt is just the over-reverb-compressed-slick-production-jerry-finn-palm-grease'd enema version.

4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

it's the old whatever-you-heard-first i suppose. mutt was the only mutt for like a year and a half, so the enema mutt is just the over-reverb-compressed-slick-production-jerry-finn-palm-grease'd enema version.

You're right about the over-reverb-compressedness of Enema. I'd love to hear that album opened up.

Just now, Speedo said:

You're right about the over-reverb-compressedness of Enema. I'd love to hear that album opened up.

hear hear!

enema has a better mix / mastering for sure. the mix / master on dude ranch is terrible. but i think you take what i mean about the finn approach (it's all in the miking and compression gating, especially on the drums).

i mean look what trombino did with JEW's futures. fucking awesome. sure, produced for radio. but still a big room, an organic sound!

7 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

hear hear!

enema has a better mix / mastering for sure. the mix / master on dude ranch is terrible. but i think you take what i mean about the finn approach (it's all in the miking and compression gating, especially on the drums).

i mean look what trombino did with JEW's futures. fucking awesome. sure, produced for radio. but still a big room, an organic sound!

I think Finn was a fantastic producer but he had a sort of aesthetic soundwise that never sat well with me. Too polished. 

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

disc 2 of the deluxe edition (the first version) illustrates what i mean. norton was brought in to 'finish' the record.

the production on the final release sounds exactly like what gil norton is known for. not trombino. i prefer trombino over norton, but i'm not going to credit him for it if his name isn't on the album and the band parted ways due to creative differences. 

13 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

the production on the final release sounds exactly like what gil norton is known for. not trombino. i prefer trombino over norton, but i'm not going to credit him for it if his name isn't on the album and the band parted ways due to creative differences. 

so we can agree that we don't agree on how the folks involved were credited. but we can agree that we like how the album sounds.

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

so we can agree that we don't agree on how the folks involved were credited. but we can agree that we like how the album sounds.

yep. and i've heard the trombino demos. they sounded like, well, demos. so it's difficult for me to think of him as a producer on that one. especially when the final product resembles gil norton's signature work.

9 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i'm fairly certain tom recorded using his les paul, as he had retired the sticker strat by this time (fall 1997). but who knows... players like using more than one guitar in the studio.

and yes, the trombino sessions for i won't be home for xmas and mutt were mr. raynor's final studio recordings with the group.

FYI scott's final (officially released) live recordings with the group were the KROQ acoustic xmas show, december 1997.

Thanks for confirming this! I my self will usually track with one guitar for rhythms and another for “leads” so I figured the same could’ve gone for Tom, but also, he seems to be very forward thinking and into whatever he’s using at the time. Seeing that this was before they were working with Jerry Finn and all his gear, Tom May have been favoring the LP (and more so, the duncan invader). Either way, the recordings sound good.