Best Artist of our Generation?

Jan Backing Track

I've said multiple times 'Influential' is not my measure of greatness for this topic.  I'm talking best in terms of their career during our generation altogether,  adapting/changing through the years and remaining relevant, what music they created, etc.

But if you must, please...you don't think their live performance/jam band thing influenced anybody?

4 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

damon albarn  for me for sure

Blur is Huge, Gorillaz is Huge, still such a great live performer and constantly reinventing himself.  I don't know any other musician that is so great at every genre he tries.

also, what is a dave mathews?

Damon Albarn is definitely a great of our time.  Made really good new music, huge following for bands, and hits like Feel Good and Clint Eastwood.

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

Grateful Dead is the most influential jam band imo.

Yeah, but DMB is more talented and our generation.

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

But I also would say that Dave Matthews band have never been relevant.

Completely false?  Crash Into Me, Crush, Where Are You Going, etc, all pretty solid/big hits.  Grammy awards.  One of biggest following touring bands.

2 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Every Dave Matthews fan I've met is really intense and over the top when it comes to their enthusiasm for the band. 

For good reason. But also the reason why they get random hate. Its not like they're poppy music so the hate pretty much puts you in edgelord territory.

In terms of music, I'd define relevant as influential or at least part of the conversation about artists who are well-known / popular, pushing the boundaries, etc. I don't think the Dave Matthews Band are particularly influential (as discussed) or relevant. A couple songs doesn't count as relevant, especially when they're from an era of music (second half of 1990s/early 2000s) when their stature pales in comparison to any big-name band or artist that you could mention.

I don't think anyone here hates them, though. I dislike them but I don't hate them. Their fans are more obnoxious than they are. ;)

2 Step, Gravedigger, Grey Street, Funny The Way It Is, Samurai Cop, The Stone

Listen to any of those songs, come back and tell me you don't find it good at all and then fine.  As Blink fans, I think it's a fair thing to do considering most people I know write off Blink because they heard ATST and I Miss You on the radio.

15 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yup. which is hilarious, because it's super, super, super easy to dislike that band.

Can you explain?  DMB seems like the last type of band that would warrant hate, I'm actually a bit surprised at it, I thought it was just to troll me.  It's fucking Dave Mathews Band, they write chill music in 6/8 with a violin, sax, and crazy drumming.  The only thing I can think of is the John Mayer, Jack Johnson type singing at times that I don't really vibe with either.