Better Call Saul

horchata

The season 4 premier was awesome! Those first 10 minutes were incredibly intense following Gene. Do you guys think the cab driver was someone from Breaking Bad, or was it just a random guy who Gene was paranoid by? I could see it going either way, but thought for a moment it might've been an old and washed up Jesse. Stoked for the rest of the season - just great television!

Disagree. I've been watching it all along, but I think season one was the best. The last season only had one great episode (the one with Jimmy's hearing) and the rest were somewhere between boring and half decent. I know a lot of people disagree, but I don't think Mike is an interesting enough character to carry episodes; I don't care how much it might add to the Breaking Bad backstory. Mike is best in scenes with Jimmy, otherwise I think the character should be used minimally.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:22 PM, Patient #48273 said:

Disagree. I've been watching it all along, but I think season one was the best. The last season only had one great episode (the one with Jimmy's hearing) and the rest were somewhere between boring and half decent. I know a lot of people disagree, but I don't think Mike is an interesting enough character to carry episodes; I don't care how much it might add to the Breaking Bad backstory. Mike is best in scenes with Jimmy, otherwise I think the character should be used minimally.

I think more happens as the series goes on, especially in season 3. The flash forward scenes definitely add more, and the momentum behind the origin of Saul builds up. My biggest qualm with the show is that we don't get to see Jimmy practice law enough (even before shit with Chuck hit the fan and his disciplinary hearing, we never really saw him go to court much).

Anyways, season 4's premiere was pretty good.

A few things that stood out to me:

-Opening scene obviously shows how much Jimmy has been withered away and how paranoid and scared he has become living under a fake identity.

-Outside of the first scene, Jimmy barely speaks the entire episode. It felt like he maybe said a handful of words.

-Lol @ Mike sabotaging Barry's car and then assuming his identity to perform an audit on Madrigal.

-It was a bit unnerving to see how happy Jimmy was when Howard was confessing to pushing Chuck out of the firm, as he was feeding the fish. I don't really know what to make of it. Was he happy because Howard was taking the fall? Or that his plan worked? Or that he no longer needs to deal with Chuck anymore? Or is it just a strange way to deal with his grief over the loss of Chuck? It's strange because he seemed to genuinely care for Chuck, outside of the insurance scheme and his bar hearing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kvothe said:

I think more happens as the series goes on, especially in season 3. The flash forward scenes definitely add more, and the momentum behind the origin of Saul builds up. My biggest qualm with the show is that we don't get to see Jimmy practice law enough (even before shit with Chuck hit the fan and his disciplinary hearing, we never really saw him go to court much).

I agree that season three had some important developments, I just don't think the episodes were well done (again, with that one exception). Jimmy slowly becoming Saul should be interesting, but it hasn't been, for the most part.

14 hours ago, Kvothe said:

-It was a bit unnerving to see how happy Jimmy was when Howard was confessing to pushing Chuck out of the firm, as he was feeding the fish. I don't really know what to make of it. Was he happy because Howard was taking the fall? Or that his plan worked? Or that he no longer needs to deal with Chuck anymore? Or is it just a strange way to deal with his grief over the loss of Chuck? It's strange because he seemed to genuinely care for Chuck, outside of the insurance scheme and his bar hearing.

While Hamlin is distraught, thinking he killed his friend over something petty and ultimately meaningless, Jimmy adds a bunch of weight to it by telling him that he's at fault. I think he did that to transfer his guilt to someone else.

And I saw that ending as Jimmy taking Chuck's advice. He is going to hurt people no matter what, so why waste time with the remorseful show when nothing will really change? But I don't know. It was a really great episode though. 

• Like 2

I did a full rewatch of Breaking Bad starting at the end of May, and by coincidence, I finished the series again, the night before the season premier of season 4. This  might be skewing my opinion...

. I was just not that Happy with the Season 4 premier. Nothing really happened. It was too slow and too predictable. I guess I am kind of expecting some crazy reaction by Saul to his brothers death. Like what would happen in Breaking bad.....instead he just sits on a chair and kind of stairs into space.

2 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I did a full rewatch of Breaking Bad starting at the end of May, and by coincidence, I finished the series again, the night before the season premier of season 4. This  might be skewing my opinion...

. I was just not that Happy with the Season 4 premier. Nothing really happened. It was too slow and too predictable. I guess I am kind of expecting some crazy reaction by Saul to his brothers death. Like what would happen in Breaking bad.....instead he just sits on a chair and kind of stairs into space.

Yeah I thought it was pretty slow and boring really. I'm glad I continued watching the show though, I know a lot of people who stopped after S1 and I actually stopped for a bit as well. They needed to tie it into Breaking Bad much faster to retain that audience IMHO.

I really need to go back and rewatch Breaking Bad. That and Dexter are still my favorite TV shows of all time.

• Like 1

Vince Gilligan seems to really enjoy building up characters, making them likeable and wanting you to root for them, and then having them turn bad. It was obvious with Breaking Bad and Walter White, but I did not expect such a sharp turn for Jimmy this season. You can tell he's becoming an asshole based on that job interview scene. While his morals have always been somewhat flexible, he's been likeable and had his heart in the right spot for the entire series. Now obviously we know he becomes a huge crook, laundering money for meth manufacturers, but still...didn't expect this transition to happen in an episode or two following Chuck's death. 

Finally watched episode 2 and 3 of the new season. I really enjoy the Breaking Bad links and now I’m really looking forward to rewatching Breaking Bad once Better Call Saul is done! 

Has there been an announcement of how many seasons there will be?

On 8/26/2018 at 11:30 PM, Bucko said:

Finally watched episode 2 and 3 of the new season. I really enjoy the Breaking Bad links and now I’m really looking forward to rewatching Breaking Bad once Better Call Saul is done! 

Has there been an announcement of how many seasons there will be?

I don't believe there has, but it has been renewed for another season beyond this one, so at least one more.

I assume it goes 6-7 seasons max. It really depends on how in depth they go for the Breaking Bad timeline given that they have entered it now, as well as how much they cover Jimmy post-Breaking Bad (I'm curious if they stick to the rare flash forwards like they are doing now, or if that becomes the whole show in the future and if there is any redemption for Jimmy).