Say Anything Calls it Quits after Oliver

Alan Rickman

It was way better than I don't think it is. However it's mostly forgettable. 

Does anyone really buy into his whole lyric cover ups? I don't think he ever assaulted anyone but I don't think he was really 20 years ahead of the times on sexual sensitivity. He's trying too hard to please everyone. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, Alan Rickman said:

It was way better than I don't think it is. However it's mostly forgettable. 

Does anyone really buy into his whole lyric cover ups? I don't think he ever assaulted anyone but I don't think he was really 20 years ahead of the times on sexual sensitivity. He's trying too hard to please everyone. 

I think it's bullshit to just assume Little Girls is about hurting young women or whatever the fuck flak he got for it. It was never a literal song.

WICGST was him at what? 19? People act like he was a 28 year old singing about talking up teenagers online or something. I honestly think he's sick of the song and just retired it when the first opportunity came along.

45 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I think it's bullshit to just assume Little Girls is about hurting young women or whatever the fuck flak he got for it. It was never a literal song.

WICGST was him at what? 19? People act like he was a 28 year old singing about talking up teenagers online or something. I honestly think he's sick of the song and just retired it when the first opportunity came along.

yeah I basically feel the same way, nothing about Max's lyrics has ever suggested to me that he's some sort of predator or pervert or anything of the sort. 

• Like 1

I'm not calling him a predator. I don't think its perverted to like sex. He had a raw lyric style back in the day when people wouldn't really take issue with such things. Now that everything is getting so much scrutiny he feels the need to come out and clarify and please everyone. 

For example, he believes in God, but he really doesnt believe in God,  but basically he believes in something that appreciates everyone. 

I feel like he used to smash on the hipster movement, but now the Gestapo has him and he can't speak against the machine anymore. 

17 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

I'm not calling him a predator. I don't think its perverted to like sex. He had a raw lyric style back in the day when people wouldn't really take issue with such things. Now that everything is getting so much scrutiny he feels the need to come out and clarify and please everyone. 

For example, he believes in God, but he really doesnt believe in God,  but basically he believes in something that appreciates everyone. 

I feel like he used to smash on the hipster movement, but now the Gestapo has him and he can't speak against the machine anymore. 

Eh, I think that's a stretch.

I think he himself has become more precious to these issues more so than his audience - a lot of what Max has done of late with this release and otherwise is not remotely to appease his fans - he's literally doing what the hell he likes. I think his stance on things has changed so his attitude to his older lyrics have changed. I don't agree with it but I can understand it from a songwriters perspective - you grow up, you change, and suddenly the words you wrote when you were younger seem silly or cringe inducing or problematic. 

Ultimately "Admit It!!!" was always a little hypocritical / self referential. The way it's written, whilst it's mocking and judging it does book end itself with Max essentially putting himself in the same category. He didn't succumb to the crowd, he was already there but now he's grown up and changed his attitudes to some things, that's all. 

It's difficult to be objective about it though because if you've been a fan of someones lyrics for most of your adult life and still identify or relate or appreciate them, for the writer to then turn around and take issue with it feels personal, the automatic reaction is to defend it or put blame on something else.