REM vs Dave Matthews Band

Kay

REM vs Dave Matthews Band  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

2 hours ago, Kay said:

1. It isn't slower, here - https://getsongbpm.com/album/enema-of-the-state/Q1Am7 . the only song with a higher bpm is Whats My Age Again. 

yea BPM is not the end all be all of how fast a song "is." and i know where this reductionism leads... i'm the arse who judges songs purely on their chord progressions!

the party song, dumpweed, dysentery gary... it doesn't matter what the speed of the vocals are. the fact that a breakneck gallop drumbeat is employed gives those songs a faster perceived speed. even though tom is singing the verses at roughly the same tempo in dumpweed and all the small things, there is no way in hell dumpweed would be played on the radio or get a video on TRL due to the super fast and aggressive drum parts.

all the small things is a terribly lazy cash grab. that's the best way i can put it. it's the kind of song my seven year old niece would bounce around the room to. and kay, you were what, nine or ten years old when enema came out? so there you go.

12 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yea BPM is not the end all be all of how fast a song "is." and i know where this reductionism leads... i'm the arse who judges songs purely on their chord progressions!

the party song, dumpweed, dysentery gary... it doesn't matter what the speed of the vocals are. the fact that a breakneck gallop drumbeat is employed gives those songs a faster perceived speed. even though tom is singing the verses at roughly the same tempo in dumpweed and all the small things, there is no way in hell dumpweed would be played on the radio or get a video on TRL due to the super fast and aggressive drum parts.

all the small things is a terribly lazy cash grab. that's the best way i can put it. it's the kind of song my seven year old niece would bounce around the room to. and kay, you were what, nine or ten years old when enema came out? so there you go.

It still represents Enema, it doesn't sound out of step with the album. That is still my point.

And nice one for randomly bringing age into the argument, grandpa.

14 minutes ago, Kay said:

It still represents Enema, it doesn't sound out of step with the album.

hard for me to judge, because on my first listen to the enema CD, it totally stuck out, along with adam's song.
i'll never forget putting that album on for the very first time....

Dumpweed - hey this is pretty okay! i'm optimistic. wow tom's vocals are super processed.

Don't Leave Me - still not bad. but my, the production is a bit too glossy. glad mark still plays chords on the bass.

Aliens Exist - this song is lazy and slow. yawn.

Going Away to College - very, very poppy. but also very blink. this is authentic and true to them, but i'm not sure if i like it.

What's My Age Again? - it's been on 91x for weeks. doesn't sound any better here.

Dysentery Gary - this is classic blink! in lyrics and overall sound. i like this song. production still too shiny though.

Adam's Song - yuck? what is this crap. they'll probably make it a single.

All the Small Things - oh my god, double yuck. this song is awful. which means they'll probably make it a single.

The Party Song - classic blink again. i like this track. they'll probably never play it live.

Mutt - eh, the version we already have with scott is better.

Wendy Clear - i like this song. they used to play it during soundcheck while touring with mxpx. good stuff.

Anthem - perhaps the best balance between classic tom songwriting and this new shiny fancy production sound. good choice for closer.

maybe @veeRob can chime in with his notes on the first time listen. since he's an old fart like me.

1 minute ago, Kay said:

I can't believe you dislike Adams Song. That's mental.

not really. remember, i was a skate punk. i didn't listen to anything that was on the radio. i didn't watch MTV. my favorite bands were pennywise, face to face, bad religion, NOFX etc etc. for someone who was only listening to loud and aggressive music... adam's song is a clear disappointment.

i've softened on it a bit now in my old age. but that was certainly my reaction at the time.

I was expecting a way worse review of Enema from you, Davey.

It's hard to grasp how someone can't like Enema if they liked old blink but I think it's a generational problem. Which is the same reason why old Bad Religion fans returned those 10000 copies of Stranger Than Fiction while to me is just another good album because I grew up listening to both polished and raw punk rock materials.

• Like 1

Just now, Elisa said:

I was expecting a way worse review of Enema from you, Davey.

why old Bad Religion fans returned those 10000 copies of Stranger Than Fiction

hey enema has some good songs on it!

and i love, love, love stranger than fiction. that was the first tour i saw the band live on. as far as bad religion goes, my age puts me at a "second generation" fan (recipe for hate was the first one i heard).

13 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

hey enema has some good songs on it!

and i love, love, love stranger than fiction. that was the first tour i saw the band live on. as far as bad religion goes, my age puts me at a "second generation" fan (recipe for hate was the first one i heard).

Almost all the Bad Religion fans had softened with age too, mainly because you can't waste your energies hating your favourite band; but I'm sure the biggest part of those blink fans just gave up on them completely

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

because you can't waste your energies hating your favourite band.

i've never run into that with my fellow BR fans. i mean, they've only made two subpar albums in their entire career (no substance and the new america). their track record is fairly unassailable, for the genre.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kay said:

1. It isn't slower, herehttps://getsongbpm.com/album/enema-of-the-state/Q1Am7 . the only song with a higher bpm is Whats My Age Again. 

2. blink has used nanana's in a variety of other songs before and after All The Small Things

3. the opening chord structure can easily be considered a riff, it's memorable enough, as is the na na na hook. 

4. all blink songs are simple power chord songs. like practically all of them. 

well most of the other songs are played  in double time.... 

I didn't get into blink through all the small things, and i never really cared for it.

but i always enjoy the fuck out of it when it comes on at a bar. Such a great song. As a lot of late 90's / early 2000's pop music, it's also kinda cringey, but just way too damn catchy to resist.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 12:50 AM, daveyjones said:

but i think more so, i really dislike their fan base. and that can taint a band. dave matthews band fans are some of the worst white people in america.

Davey just nailed it on the head with that one. The only reason I like them is really Carter's fucking amazing. That's it. They only have not even a handful of decent songs.