New Feldmann Topic

Ghent

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Oliver, I buy your anser. That's what I expect on the next album, but..

- Continuation of Untitled... I'd loved that too, but... does anybody think that was even possible? Really? I mean, I don't think they can replicate that mood and feel again. That was a very special moment. And, of course, it would be a total suicide to try to continue that sound. Also, I almost can hear haters crying out loud: SKIBA FUCKED IT, SKIBA TRYED TO MIMMICK TOM, THEY TRYED TO COPY WHAT THEY DID, THey TRYED TOO HARD. And tons of blahs.

- The quality thing, and I can agree with you to some point in this, is a delicate thing to say. Where do you put the red lines? Which song is better in terms of quality, Dumpweed or The Rock Show? Why? What defines quality in blink's music? How your taste makes an input in what you consider quality? It's blink's music, quality music overall?

- Finally, the no riff=bad record thing needs no comment. That bullshit comment speaks itself. You have to suffer a lot when listening to Ramones or early Green Day, son.

On the quality point - sure, different people have different tastes and assess quality differently. I think California is a quality record - like an 8/10. Blink usually do better work than that though. To use your Dumpweed vs Rock Show example, I'd say Dumpweed is the superior tune by a lot. The guitar riff, the lyrics, the structure and dynamics, everything about it is just a bit more meaningful and better crafted than Rock Show. Rock Show is a great song, but it's almost the sort of the song that would be on California - catchy, but quickly thrown together and not super interesting. A bit shallow.

9 hours ago, Harry Potter. said:

I know many people, myself included, wanted the real continuation of Untitled. Californianawoah is the polar opposite.

I'd love Untitled Pt 2 more than anything, but I honestly don't think that's possible without Tom.

Then again, I think the closest thing to Untitled Pt 2 is probably When Your Heart Stops Beating. So I dunno.

The funniest thing about California not having riffs and being a bad album for that is that it seems that someone forgot Box Car Racer hadn't riffs either, except for one-two songs if memory serves me right.

And it was fucking amazing.

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

The funniest thing about California not having riffs and being a bad album for that is that it seems that someone forgot Box Car Racer hadn't riffs either, except for one-two songs if memory serves me right.

I don't think anyone actually feels the lack of riffs *makes* it a bad album. I'm sure we all have albums we love that don't contain riffs. However, for an album that so desperately calls to all the old blink-182 tropes - it's ironic that there is such a lack of riffs, when that's one of the best and most noticeable aspects of the blink-182 sound. It just feels like it's missing.

• Like 1

Well, there is people here who bashed the record for the lack of riffs. Yeah, same people who idolizes BCR which lacks tons of riffs too.

About the noticeable thing, yeah, I agree with that. In fact, the catchiest parts on tons of the songs are the riffs. And I miss them too.

• 10 months later...

not sure if you guys remember a while back, i posted about my friends band who went to record with feldman. he ended up leaving his own band that he started, because he couldnt sign up for what feldman was turning it into. 

well, their first song was finally released yesterday. you can see right here what pre feldman and post feldman looks like.

On 8/23/2016 at 1:29 PM, Ghost said:

Just saw this now  

What? No riffs? Strongly disagree  

I Feel so, All systems go, Watch the world is almost a riff, Tiny Voices, And I, Sorrow, The end with you

its not all one note riffs like Man Overboard or the rock show, but power chord riffs are riffs. 

@bennett That's interesting, was your buddy the guitarist? I'm assuming most bands would be stoked to get studio time with Feldmann, but did it just cause so much tension in the band that your buddy quit and they changed names? I could see how it could be an internal struggle... on one hand you want to stay true to "your" music, but on the other hand you got John Feldmann ready to make you a star. I think Famous Stars & Straps and Travis sponsor them too which is sick.

I'd probably sell out and kick balloons around in a video as well tbh LMAO.

• Like 2

he tried for a year or so to make it work but feldman just didnt want to budge from making this happen. he was the guitarist yeah. hes a producer and happy with his life so he didnt end up going through with it. it wasnt tension, he just didnt want to hold the others guys back as they wanted to go for it. he wrote all the songs/basically was the band so it was a different situation between him and the rest of the guys. they ended up dropping the drummer and bassist for new guys as well

1 hour ago, bennett said:

not sure if you guys remember a while back, i posted about my friends band who went to record with feldman. he ended up leaving his own band that he started, because he couldnt sign up for what feldman was turning it into. 

well, their first song was finally released yesterday. you can see right here what pre feldman and post feldman looks like.

Wow...Feldmann and Travis really worked magic with that band. I remember you talking about this awhile back, cool to see the before and after.

The Makeout song isn't really something I would go out of my way to listen to today, but I could see that being really popular with high school age kids. Good pop punk song

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Tbf these songs are fucking awful, but the second song is definitely better. 

• Like 5

I don't really care for either song but I definitely think the pre-Feldman song is less teenybopper. It's what people like Feldman do they take music and they turned it into something that would sell not necessarily something that is good.

It is good that your friend left the band bennett because it's likely that Feldman would've fired him anyway Least he was able to keep his dignity

1 hour ago, thongrider said:

Tbf these songs are fucking awful, but the second song is definitely better. 

Exactly my thoughts. The second song was definitely better, but still not good. I could see it selling though. If I had that opportunity, Feldmann could make me spray shit out of me if it meant I could have a stable good income and play shows to a semi large crowd singing the shit I'm spewing every night.

Assuming it's a three album contract, crank those out in five years and then you have the foundation to play whatever music you want for the rest of your life.

I wonder how Feldy noticed the band. Nothing special at all.

I was very critical of Feldy in the past andcI'm against him being involved with Blink. Having said that, I think the song is really ok.

I have no problem with Feldy, I just want him to leave my favorite band alone with his factory work.