New Feldmann Topic

Ghent

I don't get the 'I'd kill to have feldmann produce me' argument. like yeah, he'll put you on the map, but I'd rather stay musically unknown and lead a normal life then sell out my music and have a horrifically produced record purely because it will sell. If someone feldanised my songs I'd be furious. 

• Like 4

Man, both them songs are utter shite IMO. Can't stand either for different reasons. The one without Feldman, I just don't like that style of pop punk. The singing annoys the hell out of me, and don't like pop punk bands that try do the double kick shit like a Day to Remember.

As for the Feldman produced song, it's just utter shite. Makes songs like Sober, Parking Lot, Wildfire sound like master pieces from the fucking Who or something. I get that Feldman does produce a lot of crap, but that song proves to me that the quality of the band also matters. Blink are way better, so a Feldman produced blink is gonna be better than a Feldman produced ATL, Good Charlotte etc. Still, I still think Feldman holds blink back from being way better.

2 hours ago, Kay said:

I don't get the 'I'd kill to have feldmann produce me' argument. like yeah, he'll put you on the map, but I'd rather stay musically unknown and lead a normal life then sell out my music and have a horrifically produced record purely because it will sell. If someone feldanised my songs I'd be furious. 

Yeah, I'm the same. I'd tell anyone to fuck off if they're trying to force woahs, gang vocals on my songs.

3 hours ago, Kay said:

To be fair, the music i'm playing is pretty similar to his style. So yeah, I'd kill to have him produce me :D 

3 hours ago, Kay said:

I think it depends on so many factors. Is music your profession? What is the current success of your band? Is it something you plan to do long term?

In my current situation, where music is not my profession, and I make a comfortable living at other things, if Feldman came to me and wanted to produce me, I'd laugh in his face. But if times were tough and my band had struggled for years and I felt it wasn't going anywhere, it wouldn't be hard to jump at some cash. I'd actually look at it as using Feldman, not him using me. Like "Sure Mr Cokehead, I will do as you say, collect my paycheck and at the end of contract expiration I'll put my ass in the air and fart in your middle aged face"

I think Bennett's friend made a good call based on his circumstances.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I think it depends on so many factors. Is music your profession? What is the current success of your band? Is it something you plan to do long term?

In my current situation, where music is not my profession, and I make a comfortable living at other things, if Feldman came to me and wanted to produce me, I'd laugh in his face. But if times were tough and my band had struggled for years and I felt it wasn't going anywhere, it wouldn't be hard to jump at some cash. I'd actually look at it as using Feldman, not him using me. Like "Sure Mr Cokehead, I will do as you say, collect my paycheck and at the end of contract expiration I'll put my ass in the air and fart in your middle aged face"

I think Bennett's friend made a good call based on his circumstances.

Lol no it's not my profession and I currently don't have an active band, but the most desperate musicians are the ones who are completely at the bottom of the rung, I'd be in a much better position to argue if I was actively doing it, and in my current state I'd say definitely no because I care too much about my songs to casually let someone slice em' up and compress them to crap for easy money. Obviously you need to let your songs be changed by a producer, they will be like 'this parts too long' or 'this needs to be moved here' or 'this needs to be simplified' here, thats a part of it, but if I knew before hand that a producer wanted to make it sugary radio friendly to the level Feldy does I wouldn't entertain the idea at all. I have zero interest in my songs becoming unrecognisable to me purely for financial reasons - that's lunacy, in my eyes. they mean too much to me. 

I'm not judging this band either, they have their own reasons and maybe they're not as precious as I am about their own material - to each their own there - I just personally could not do it, regardless of my situation. I was in a position to sell my songs a few years back and I refused to do that too - to me personally, it's the epitome of 'selling out'. I wouldn't judge others for doing it, but it goes against my own principles and integrity. 

• Like 2

I totally get what you are saying, I guess I just also understand the other side of things. My job is very important to me, without it, I'd be back at my parents house, broke, and in really bad shape, as if I need to be in any worse shape than I already am.

. So if a Feldman guy walked in and said "You do XYZ or your job is finished" I'd do it, as long as it wasn't illegal or unethical. I totally agree it is selling out but you are also being put in a bind.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RAX said:

Just saw this now  

What? No riffs? Strongly disagree  

I Feel so, All systems go, Watch the world is almost a riff, Tiny Voices, And I, Sorrow, The end with you

its not all one note riffs like Man Overboard or the rock show, but power chord riffs are riffs. 

'Power chords riffs' -if that exists-, to me, are pretty much chord progressions.

• Like 2

I've always considered them riffs but I just call them "heavy riffs" haha. Obvious, Snake Charmer, I Feel So, Up All Night, I Feel So, All Systems Go, The End With You etc. If it's single note riffs, I just call it "lead riff" or something. I definitely consider them all riffs though.

I always considered riffs to be guitar parts that are annoying so the only Blink riffs I've personally considered riffs are "Boring" and "Time to Break up" and "Ghost on the Dancefloor" I guess, but I don't know the definition of a riff really.