New Feldmann Topic

Ghent

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I would say Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are pop punk royalty. I might not go as far as legends...but there aren't that many to choose from so they would be in the discussion.

They've definitely got a good following hence why they're able to keep going with new albums every couple of years. Definitely important players in the pop punk scene with a cult following. But not close to the level of blink, Green Day & Offspring. Those 3 are the ones I'd consider the leaders, although Offspring have gone way way downhill. Can't take away from their work in the 90's though. I would've put FOB on that level if they didn't go way more pop. Their most successful albums aren't even pop punk IMO. I think their last pop punk album by them was the one with that Sugar We're Going Down song.

• 1 month later...

It's funny that this just came back up, I was listening to a podcast with Adam McKay (writer/director of Vice, The Big Short, Anchorman and a bunch of other Will Ferrell movies, former head writer for SNL) and he was saying the best lesson he was taught in improv/writing is to always get to your THIRD thought. He said this about his teacher Del Close:

“He would make you stand on stage and suffer through your first thought, then you’d go to your second one and he wouldn’t let you get away with that, he would make you go to your third… the way our brains work thinking fast is habitual, thinking slow is actually a little painful as it’s thinking things through, and one of the great lessons is just taking that breath, take that beat, and then look at what else is there. Because sometimes we lift that rock up and there’s like 60 cents and we go ‘oh my god!’ and we run away really fast, and underneath it was a dagger worth 1.7 million dollars, museum quality”

Not a perfect comparison but it was interesting to hear a different view on that topic we've all been talking about for 3 years now haha

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Listening to California today. The songs on this album are, for the most part, pretty great. Which has made it kind of a catch 22 to me. I really hate the sound of it, I hate the guitars and drums (with the exception of "Teenage Satellites", which should be considered a masterpiece to any decent person and sounds flawless, good job Feldy and Blink!) and, to me, personally, I think John Feldmann did a terrible job. Ever since I saw that Feldy co-wrote all the songs, they immediately lost value to me and it's been my assumption that he wrote the majority of the songs, making them the great tunes that they are and that the shitty guitars were the price to pay for Feldmann writing the good tunes. Lately, however, I've started entertaining the thought that Blink might have written a majority of the album by themselves, which in case, Feldmann actually ruined the album for me. So to me, the amount of writing Feldmann did for the album basically determines whether he ruined it or not. Him NOT writing the majority of the album, might piss me off more at this point.

• 1 month later...

Listened to an hour long podcast today that Feldmann was on, was pretty insightful...nothing specific to blink, but the last quote def seems like he’s referring to them. Highlights:

-Dad last male to have polio in US, no use of arm/leg

-Doesn’t know much about his mom really, they were all abused

-Got girl pregnant at 16

-Kicked out of high school , drank heavily 

-Knew he wanted to do music at 12

-Caffeine fiend 

-Had jaw broken by a jock in high school

-Has webbed toes

-Used to go to Mexico at 17 to do coke and meth on weekends, roommate got abducted

-Played 385 shows in 1995 with Goldfinger

-Stopped drinking at 21, was living in free shelter

-Stole roommates car/Cure tickets and was going to see them and kill himself. Got DUI on the way there.

-1990 Tommy Lee produced his album 

-Host reads a letter from a friend of his that makes John emotional, saying he is such a great friend/person/etc.

-Says it’s hard to feel that way about yourself when you go online and see the negative.

-“It’s hard when someone says you ruined a band, or they were so much better before they worked with you.”

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

51 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Listened to an hour long podcast today that Feldmann was on, was pretty insightful...nothing specific to blink, but the last quote def seems like he’s referring to them. Highlights:

-Dad last male to have polio in US, no use of arm/leg

-Doesn’t know much about his mom really, they were all abused

-Got girl pregnant at 16

-Kicked out of high school , drank heavily 

-Knew he wanted to do music at 12

-Caffeine fiend 

-Had jaw broken by a jock in high school

-Has webbed toes

-Used to go to Mexico at 17 to do coke and meth on weekends, roommate got abducted

-Played 385 shows in 1995 with Goldfinger

-Stopped drinking at 21, was living in free shelter

-Stole roommates car/Cure tickets and was going to see them and kill himself. Got DUI on the way there.

-1990 Tommy Lee produced his album 

-Host reads a letter from a friend of his that makes John emotional, saying he is such a great friend/person/etc.

-Says it’s hard to feel that way about yourself when you go online and see the negative.

-“It’s hard when someone says you ruined a band, or they were so much better before they worked with you.”

Where can I listen to this? It sounds super interesting!

51 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Also this is kind of heartbreaking :(

i really think people bringing the negativity directly to them on social media needs to stop. it comes across as so mean spirited

there's a difference between shitting on stuff on a fan forum, and shitting on people directly on their social media pages.

if they want to see what fans are saying, they'll look here, or on reddit, or whatever. so unnecessary, and vaguely dehumanising

• Like 5

1 hour ago, iguessthisisgrowingup said:

i really think people bringing the negativity directly to them on social media needs to stop. it comes across as so mean spirited

there's a difference between shitting on stuff on a fan forum, and shitting on people directly on their social media pages.

if they want to see what fans are saying, they'll look here, or on reddit, or whatever. so unnecessary, and vaguely dehumanising

Yea I have a hard time shitting on people’s work. I even gave the darkside video a like and I can’t stand it lol. But when I was watching it I saw how much fun blink and the kids were having and it kinda melted my heart.

9 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Yea I have a hard time shitting on people’s work. I even gave the darkside video a like and I can’t stand it lol. But when I was watching it I saw how much fun blink and the kids were having and it kinda melted my heart.

ForthrightPopularAustralianfreshwatercro

• Haha 1