New Feldmann Topic

Ghent

That's the issue with Feldman, I don't see him ever being able to do anything other than California 2.0. Blink had different songs in mind and he basically said to them, come to my studio and I'll show you how to write fucking music. But that's the problem, because bands grow and change, but if you have someone directing your songwriting; there is none of that. It is kind of  a one trick pony.

I think on future albums there normally would be the potential for more Matt involvement, more innovative guitar work, etc. But the question is, does Feldman allow that? I don't see it honestly.

• Like 4

In New York Italian accent "Yo Blink these song suck, you come to my fucking studio and we''ll fix this shit. Mark, pretend like i am Tom and be my bitch, Matt you're new, write me some fucking lyrics, do alittle jangle jangle on the guitar, and shut the fuck up. Travis, you good, just do your thing on the drums. I may be a hard ass but my shit sells. This shit will go flying off dem fucking shelves when im done with it.  It's go time"

• Like 1

I really really love Feldmann a lot. He helped a band of 40 year old dudes that haven't been relevant in a decade get back on the radio. All while still maintaining the vibe that makes Blink what it is. That takes serious talent.

That being said, there are some glaring flaws on California that I would be very upset to see continue. If I hear one more "na na" or "woah" on the EP I'll probably have to reconsider my opinion. The bridge on California (the song) is beyond cringe-worthy. It epitomizes everything I fear that Blink will be on the next release. I hope I'm proven wrong.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chase said:

I really really love Feldmann a lot. He helped a band of 40 year old dudes that haven't been relevant in a decade get back on the radio. All while still maintaining the vibe that makes Blink what it is. That takes serious talent.

That being said, there are some glaring flaws on California that I would be very upset to see continue. If I hear one more "na na" or "woah" on the EP I'll probably have to reconsider my opinion. The bridge on California (the song) is beyond cringe-worthy. It epitomizes everything I fear that Blink will be on the next release. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Well said

thread feels unnecessary... we've talked this to death. but ok. first off, i suggested feldmann years ago as a potential producer i'd like to see blink work with. i've liked some of feldmann's output and work with bands like panic at the disco. and whenever it came out that it was happening, i was pretty stoked. and if there's something that we CAN credit to the man positively, he got them to work and they wrote 30 songs in like 2 months.

as for how i feel now that everything's said and done, it's... fine. i'm not happy with blink seemingly relinquishing so much control to this outsider. the songwriting credits, even for the joke songs, rubs me the wrong way. we don't know how well he fused the sensibilities of mark and matt since, IMO, we didn't get enough matt on this record, and we don't know the recordings from last fall. and i feel mixed that he'll probably be involved in future stuff. but what's done is done. and it's not that big of a deal. i'm glad the band is happy, and they're more productive than they've been in a decade.

As someone said, Feldmann got blink to work properly once they felt they were ready to do it. I think is good for them to have go that frenetic path and be able to focus an work different compared to what they had become after Tom. They just came to the world of the living ones again after being a zombie band for... 10 years?

Feldmann does what he does, like it or hate it. California is a really good effort for what it is, what it means and how it came after all Tom's bullshit, delaying and whatever. It's their own renaissance. Sure, on a comfortable path sometimes, sure, too polished. But this album saved the band. Not the best album, butis far away to be their worst.

Other than that, I'm still on my own personal taste and would love to see blink working with the likes of Bill Stevenson or, much better, Butch Vig after this California/New EP cycle. But knowing how they work and how hard for them was to find someone new..... I just doubt they will go far from Feldy.

• Like 1

oh boy. feldmann. 

what do we know based on California

1. scrapped all their 20-30 songs they did without him.

2. dictated what to write, changed their sound for worse, mainstreamed the fuck out of this album, about 90% manufactured record, copy/past his formula to every song he produces now, doesn't give a fuck about blinks legacy, probably screamed like a girl when travis asked him to produce California. 

3. not creative at all, he found a decent mainstream formula that works for a little short period of time. 

4. new Christmas ep will sound like California leftovers, i guarantee you every song will be full of ohhhs and dull chants.

5. feldmann probably got a pass for a few more albums with blink. next one's gonna be a disaster. it's either a "fun" album California part 2 or some pretentious shit with an idea to make them even "bigger".  

all blink needed to do - get their ass's to the studio, lock themselves and experiment with skiba until they find their new groove. 

"you gotta love California for what it is" - fuck that. album just doesn't have a staying power. With every listen it gets closer and closer to  donotgiveafuck attitude. 

• Like 3

If they keep Feldmann, and release a California pt 2 of whoas na's and washed out pop punk cliche's, then I won't buy the record, and I probably will stop following them musically. I'll still be on forums for their legacy, but I genuinely could not care less about that direction if thats what they choose to do. 

I don't want Tom back either this isn't some disgruntled "I miss Tom" thing but I just would not be happy. Mark, Matt and Travis are capable of much much more. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, b00bies said:

oh boy. feldmann. 

what do we know based on California

1. scrapped all their 20-30 songs they did without him.

2. dictated what to write, changed their sound for worse, mainstreamed the fuck out of this album, about 90% manufactured record, copy/past his formula to every song he produces now, doesn't give a fuck about blinks legacy, probably screamed like a girl when travis asked him to produce California. 

3. not creative at all, he found a decent mainstream formula that works for a little short period of time. 

4. new Christmas ep will sound like California leftovers, i guarantee you every song will be full of ohhhs and dull chants.

5. feldmann probably got a pass for a few more albums with blink. next one's gonna be a disaster. it's either a "fun" album California part 2 or some pretentious shit with an idea to make them even "bigger".  

all blink needed to do - get their ass's to the studio, lock themselves and experiment with skiba until they find their new groove. 

"you gotta love California for what it is" - fuck that. album just doesn't have a staying power. With every listen it gets closer and closer to  donotgiveafuck attitude. 

oh, my dear friend...

e0762c46ce4c.jpg

and it's my 1000th post, lol 

• Like 3

Eh. Without going into detail, I appreciate that he helped kickstart this new era of blink-182, but I don't want him back the next time around. I'm sure he's sticking with blink forever though. His influence is just a little bit too obvious and too much for me. I really like California, but I really really do not want California 2.0 the next time we get a blink album. I think California can be a good stepping stone towards something truly great, as long as they don't tread water and keep doing the exact same thing.

• Like 2

All this discussion, specially when people bashes over some other people involved in the record, makes me ask the same question I asked a few months ago:

What (the hell) did you expect from blink at this point?

I mean, I'm not asking about personal tastes or idilical situations, because if so, I guess everyone has his own vision, and the album will match more or less compared to that personal taste. This question requires a deep analysis on the whole situation, yes, and anyone shouldn't bash the album without taking in count this:

- Blink legacy.

- Blink's sound evolution.

- The dark age (between 2005 until 2011) and its consequence: Frankenstein-hoods.

- Tom DeLonge and his ins and outs.

- The perspective we all had when it was evident that this whole situation was about getting rid of The Artist, and move on with another musician to keep on going, or just close the thing and put it to rest.

• Like 2

We did get ride of a cancer (Tom) and got a new functional member Skiba. That's all we wanted.  A perfect combo would be to get a producer also. Something happened during that transaction and this parasite Feldmann got involved. He stepped up and changed the game completely. To answer your question - everyone expected an album that sounds like Marks and Skiba past work with their own sound. Instead we got Feldmann's style with Mark and Skiba vocals. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Olidamus said:

In New York Italian accent "Yo Blink these song suck, you come to my fucking studio and we''ll fix this shit. Mark, pretend like i am Tom and be my bitch, Matt you're new, write me some fucking lyrics, do alittle jangle jangle on the guitar, and shut the fuck up. Travis, you good, just do your thing on the drums. I may be a hard ass but my shit sells. This shit will go flying off dem fucking shelves when im done with it.  It's go time"

1MUNmfb.png

Blink recording new music efficiently isn't mutually exclusive to working with Feldmann. Sure, he's a great motivator, but he's bad in that he just wants to make "product". He basically did what I didn't want him to do, make a cheap sounding blink record.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Jesus fucking Christ.

how are people ignoring this post.

any credibility Oliver has now = zero

I enjoy California but I really don't another album like it, if that is all Feldman is capable of doing then I really hope they don't use him again.

Lets face it, the only reason Mark wanted him onboard is because he is terrified of becoming irrelevant, he clearly has issues with self esteem/writers block and he knew getting Feldman involved would help them write an album that would appeal to the mainstream which would once again (after well over a decade) make him feel loved by the masses. Just a shame that he had to sacrifice some of his artistic integrity in the process. 

I believe Mark would of much preferred to write the darker album many blink fans wanted to hear, but knew it was a riskier move so copped out and wrote a predominately bubblegum pop record for the masses rather than for long term fans of the band. Understand why he did it I guess but also a bit of a shame I think. 

• Like 2