The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

lol I don't think you're a fucking idiot, that came out of nowhere, why would you call me that?

well, I'm gonna finish this discussion now, I won't call you names (it's the fucking internet, lol, please come here and say that to my face) but you're incredible NAIVE

think for 2 seconds logically?

they play an hour MAX at a festival, 30% of the people at a festival won't even know that Blink got back together, 50% are watching them just because they're standing there, 90% only know their biggest hits (ATST, I miss you etc.), 99% dont even know songs like Reckless Abandon etc. and 99,5% of the people will boo them if they're playing VERY UNKNOWN OLD NON-SINGLES live ACOUSTIC (for a punk rock band)

also, Blink is not as huge in Europe as in America (they always get very bad reviews here, tour and cd's). Neighborhoods didnt get any playtime here. At festivals, they only get 1 or 2 starts out of 5.

also, MARK SAID HIMSELF MANY TIMES that he doesn't like it hearing songs he doesn't know when he goes to see a band play live

also, I actually do think you're a fucking idiot, because, if you've been to many festivals, you should know bands only play their greatest hits, they all do

also, they have to play their biggest hits, to reach an audience that don't know them yet

also, give me ONE example of a band that played a very very very old song (haven't played for 10 years), a very unknow song, and not even the way they recorded it, but an alternate version (for example, acoustic)..

.. at a festival?

LOL

I'll promise you: if they play a song like Wasting Time or Waggy acoustic live at a festival, I PROMISE YOU, I'll pay you all my money I have got

the correct answer is: they play 45-minute shows on these festivals, so they just put the greatest hits on the player, and let it roll. (to be precise, they'll have full 90-minute shows at some festivals. at least they would have had it at prague...)

of course

No one wants to go to a festival and be treated with crappy acoustic songs.

Unless it's Radiohead and the song is paranoid android. People love that shit.

i wouldnt really consider that an "acoustic" song, but if they played gagging order, people would still love that shit

i never predicted that they would play the acoustic songs. i simply asked whether they did or not. it would not be unfathomable for them to play two acoustic songs at a festival. not all festivals limit bands to 45-60 minutes. i don't live in these countries or follow their festivals, that's why i asked.

from Mark's twitter.

Mark Hoppus ‏@markhoppus

don't believe the internet. blink-182 is not breaking up.

i guess this is referring to that interview with Tom that never came out?

what interview? how do you know

the interview was teased a while ago but never came out. it was basically Tom saying AVA was finally going to have time to do what they've always wanted and whoever wrote it was like " could this mean blink is breaking up" or something like that.

i just saw mark's tweet, and knew nothing about the rumor... was it a real thing? google found 2 relevant topics from the past 24 hours. without mark, it wouldn't have been a well known incidence... i find it funny that they react a dumb rumor faster than to answer real facts (e.g. a short statement about a canceled festival - okay, at least they did it after a few days).

anyway: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?p=109812802#post109812802

and the tom interview was promised on this site: http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/news/tom-delonge-after-this-year-my-schedule-is-going-to-be-a-lot-easier/

Yeah, some critics will never give blink their time or day. I acknowledge that blink isn't brilliant, ground breaking music, but they are consistent and were perfect for what they were.

You would think that Untitled would the critics go-to choice for their best, more recognized album. But it's oddly Dude Ranch that holds that title. Even though the songs are way less in term of topic, varying in sound, and immature. But it's also nice to see that album is recognized by how accidently brilliant it was.

from Mark's twitter.

Mark Hoppus ‏@markhoppus

don't believe the internet. blink-182 is not breaking up.

i guess this is referring to that interview with Tom that never came out?

Nah not that, yesterday people were making up rumours on Twitter/Tumblr about blink breaking up because Tom unfollowed Mark/blink/Travis on Twitter. I don't even think he was following them to begin with...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/06/blink-182_enema_fuck_guilty_pleasures.php

Really great article about how new artists and critics who grew up with blink-182 will shape their legacy.

Lol at that writer comparing blink to japandroids.  I love Japandroids and ive never thought they sound like blink at all