The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

True... But Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory is no. 1, so take from that rank what you will.

hybrid theory was a great album too imo. i agree that linkin park's a piece of shit since then, but i remember everyone at my school was a fan of them in the early 2000's. i even had a linkin park t-shirt (before it was cool... geez, i was such a hipster).

Stuff like Linkin Park and even Blink don't look like they're worth much from the outside, but both bands have influenced an entire generation of people.

blink influenced millions of people from our generation. i can't think of any other band which made more kids want to play guitar/bass/drums than blink-182. it's funny when i hear from someone (who's not a blink fan) that he/she started playing guitars after watching blink on mtv. they could say that guns 'n' roses or metallica or any other guitar-driven band influenced them, but no, it was blink... and as we can see, these musicians grew up, formed bands, and they're today's/tomorrow's rockstars :D (all time low, a day to remember, etc...)

even though linkin park was more popular than blink in 2001-02, i doubt they're that influental. they were a hybrid of a boyband and real musicians, and their fame came from their modernity and uniqueness. but they were just a band to listen to, not a band you obsessively want to follow.

Tom posted this on his twitter.

If ever there was a time for Oliver to chime in, this is it. Tom says he sees this as a "daily reality. totally unlike the 90s."

http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/letter-to-emily-white-at-npr-all-songs-considered/

Seriously Tom. You are a fucking fag right now. You are in an amazingly popular band, despite committing only a fraction of your time to it. You took three years to release an album that you announced (in epic fashion) to be writing and recording at the fucking Grammys.

You are not an indie artist. You are a corporate slacker who uses million of dollars from a project you are barely committed to to fund an unsuccessful, unpopular band that you think has some kind of underground relevancy. Get over yourself and get off the high horse.

You worked very hard to get where you are. You deserve the millions of dollars you have earned. But please don't try to guilt trip people, complaining about free music downloads and spotify. Everything you have in your entire life is due to blink-182. Your wife, your children, your fame, your fortune, and your reputation. It's time to respect that. If you have such a problem with the current state of music, then maybe it's time you get your priorities straight. You are in one of the most popular bands in the world. Why don't you spend your time working on that. Give people a reason to buy music. Change the way it's delivered by using the platform you are blessed with: blink-182. Don't collect millions of dollars from this band and then hide in a corner crying foul against the entire music industry with your shitty band that no one cares about: Angels and Airwaves.

Sorry for the rant, but it really irritates me when he criticizes the very thing that he exploited for ten years. Spotify is the best thing to happen to music since the vinyl record. If you want to monetize it properly, why not release a wildly successful album with your multi-million dollar band and figure out how to do it. Work with Spotify. Stop acting entitled and stop disrespecting your fans and followers by treating blink-182 as an option, rather than a fucking blessing.

Blink sounds awesome right now. They are getting along great. Surprise us and start recording a new album and put everything you have into it.

/drunk rant

I still find it hilarious that people think Blink worked hard to make millions. Get a perspective Ghent. Compared to most people in this world, they didn't. They got lucky.

As far as the article. I skimmed it. I don't think it is right that smaller bands have their music stolen. So they have a valid point with that. But I think larger bands should go cry about in their mansions. They charge us $100+ for a ticket to their shows. Why? Because they can.

We download their music illegally. Why? Because we can.

If people can get something for free instead of having to buy it, they will. Downloading music illegally is the nature of the beast. Has been for over 12 years. It isn't going to stop. Ever. They need to get over it.

BTW, this article is really a bunch of shit. Taking about the struggles of musicians. Ok......

Welcome to life today. Our economy sucks. Kids spend $40K for college and can't find jobs making more than $12 an hour (if they are lucky). Just about everyone is hurting.

In my job, Our yearly cost of living increases have stopped. Our promotions have been frozen. We don't get a bonus anymore. People are getting fired. Money is tight. There is an attack on government pay.......Booo Whooo........

Downloading music is terrible. People are killing themselves over it!  :roll: