The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

How in the fuck is Billie Joe ahead of Omar Rodriguez Lopez?

How is Billie Joe and Tom on the list at all? Your never gonna get a fair judgement of talent through public votes, it just becomes a popularity contest. So let's all abuse their stupidity.

How is Billie Joe and Tom on the list at all? Your never gonna get a fair judgement of talent through public votes, it just becomes a popularity contest. So let's all abuse their stupidity.

There's nothing worse than music elitism.

I agree, but this isn't just music, this is prowess with a guitar, an actual measurable skill.

The poll is about the "greatest" guitarist, not the most versatile, talented or technically skilled. Tom has created a unique sound and inspired billions with his playing. It's not about who can write the most complicated solo. It's about style and influence if anything.

The poll is about the "greatest" guitarist, not the most versatile, talented or technically skilled. Tom has created a unique sound and inspired billions with his playing. It's not about who can write the most complicated solo. It's about style and influence if anything.

I don't see where any of that is written on the article.

I agree, but this isn't just music, this is prowess with a guitar, an actual measurable skill.

A stupid, pointless skill.

A stupid, pointless skill.

Why do you say that?

well the term "greatest", to me, means most versatile and skilled?

well the term "greatest", to me, means most versatile and skilled?

He's full of shit, they don't even use the term "greatest". Everything he said, he just pulled out of his arse, I'm quite impressed actually.

guitar is not a pointless skill.

of course not, if Tom Delonge didn't play guitar we wouldn't have these great songs to listen(unless someone else played guitar in blink) but measuring the skill and making someone more skillfull and less skillfull is pointless. And if someone is "really skillful" at guitar their songs usually sound like total ass and exactly how skillfull Tom Delonge is is irrelevant to the music he makes, mostly, if he had the pointless skill of Jimmy Page/Slash his music could've been as awful as theirs!

Did anybody see the cover of the new Green Day album and think of the Blink smiley? I sure as hell did! I really dont like this band anymore. They are whored like Justin Bieber on the radio and just about everywhere else. Why doesnt Blink get this kind of promoting!? They are at least 10 times better.

And the whole thing about Billy going to rehab for that meltdown? What a fucking publicity stunt. I dont see what people see in this band. They arent even flattering or likeable. Mike Dirnt is probably the only cool guy in that band. And Tre Cool? Gimme a fucking break. Okay i just had to get this off my chest and nobody would probably agree with more than anybody here.  :-)

Did anybody see the cover of the new Green Day album and think of the Blink smiley? I sure as hell did! I really dont like this band anymore. They are whored like Justin Bieber on the radio and just about everywhere else. Why doesnt Blink get this kind of promoting!? They are at least 10 times better.

And the whole thing about Billy going to rehab for that meltdown? What a fucking publicity stunt. I dont see what people see in this band. They arent even flattering or likeable. Mike Dirnt is probably the only cool guy in that band. And Tre Cool? Gimme a fucking break. Okay i just had to get this off my chest and nobody would probably agree with more than anybody here.  :-)

What about their bunny with the cross' for eyes logo? That made me think of Blink the first time I saw that!

this.

being the greatest at something doesn't mean you need to know everything about that. the only thing you need to know is the best (the most popular) part of it.

who's the greatest writer? someone with fancy words about a topic you're not interested in? or someone with your favorite subject and a style you can easily relate to?

which one is the better: a chef who can cook your favourite food the best, or a chef who can cook anything you don't want to eat?

for me, these over-qualified guitarists are not the greatests.

Not sure if that was an intended hyperbole, but no way in hell has Tom inspired billions of guitarists.  I don't even think there are a billion guitarists on Earth lol.  But I agree with your logic, it's the same reason so many people consider Kurt Cobain a great guitarist too.

When they use words like top 11 and number 1 I presume that means the best, most skilled. But I s'pose it's open to interpretation. Two things though, stop throwing around the word greatest, it has nothing to do with anything and writing a catchy riff makes you a good songwriter, not a good guitarist.