The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I could do without Man Overboard, Violence and Always, Hearts All Gone, maybe Wishing Well, Dumpweed in the setlist.

I think they need to write a new awesome opener. MTTS tour opened with dumpweed, Toypaj tour opened with rock show, 2004 with feeling this and now 09 Dumpweed and since then Feeling This. 

I'd like a medley with Josie, Man Overboard, Dumpweed and M&Ms or something like in 04, then switch out always/violence every other night with other album cuts like GATC, Story of a Lonely Guy, Enthused, Aliens Exist, Dysentery Gary, Mutt or something. 

I think Hearts All gone is a great opener. Lots of energy. Most people don't seem to like that song but I think it is the best of Neighborhoods. The best song Mark has written since Untitled, and perhaps his best lyrics since Man OVerboard.

I'd really like to hear Reckless Abandon electric again, and a a song or two more from Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch. In fairness, they make awesome live songs, but it's not gonna happen.

that would be awesome, reckless is a great high energy live song, but it does work REALLY well acoustically.  The set they're doing in Australia is to me the most balanced thing you could possibly imagine from these guys at this point in their career.  5 Neighborhoods songs, 3 DED songs, and then obviously the greatest hits set, I mean that's a pretty fair pretty good representation of their career.  They're playing something like 24 songs I think every night and a quarter of it's from the last two years which is pretty good considering the catalog of hits these guys have on a nightly basis.  I will say, what's shocked me is how Stay Together For The Kids has just disappeared on the last two tours considering it's quite the popular single.

It has been said, but Blink needs to focus on playing more new material. By the time TOYPAJ had came out they played like one or two Cheshire Cat songs and one or two Dude Ranch songs. It is time to make that be the case with older albums.

As much as I love the older songs, the only way you grow as a band is by moving forward. IMO they still feel very much like a tribute band to their pre hiatus days. But when you hear Mark talk I think that is how he wants it. They no longer want to be a "current" band, they want to be a band that is living off their past.

The argument that "people want to hear the hits" is a bullshit argument. The idea is you write NEW hits and play them. That is growth and change and that is critical in a band that wants to remain current.

"The argument that "people want to hear the hits" is a bullshit argument. The idea is you write NEW hits and play them."

Oliver we all should know by now that blink won't ever write another hit single. I think it's safe to say that I Miss You will stay their last smash. And thats fine. I'm not into this band for the hits. Still their only option to play big gigs in future will be playing the old ones and mix it with some new stuff. You'll have to accept that.

Every great band gets to that point. Look at Metallica or the Stones..

"The argument that "people want to hear the hits" is a bullshit argument. The idea is you write NEW hits and play them."

Oliver we all should know by now that blink won't ever write another hit single. I think it's safe to say that I Miss You will stay their last smash. And thats fine. I'm not into this band for the hits. Still their only option to play big gigs in future will be playing the old ones and mix it with some new stuff. You'll have to accept that.

Every great band gets to that point. Look at Metallica or the Stones..

That's true, I was thinking the same Metallica example. While die-hard fans wants them to play 'Trapped Under Ice', the rest never gets sick of 'Blackened' or 'One'. The same happens with ATST or The Rock Show.

It has been said, but Blink needs to focus on playing more new material. By the time TOYPAJ had came out they played like one or two Cheshire Cat songs and one or two Dude Ranch songs. It is time to make that be the case with older albums.

As much as I love the older songs, the only way you grow as a band is by moving forward. IMO they still feel very much like a tribute band to their pre hiatus days. But when you hear Mark talk I think that is how he wants it. They no longer want to be a "current" band, they want to be a band that is living off their past.

The argument that "people want to hear the hits" is a bullshit argument. The idea is you write NEW hits and play them. That is growth and change and that is critical in a band that wants to remain current.

this logic is flawed.

By the time TOYPAJ came out, blink was popular because of Enema and TOYPAJ. Sure a few people liked Dammit or whatever, but they got big because of Enema. period. They didn't play older songs because the older songs were not a mainstream success.

I'm sure if they wrote another album that was as big of a hit as Enema or TOYPAJ, their set list would change drastically. But, the fact is, the overwhelming majority of people attending blink shows are attending them because they like their OLD songs. Their new stuff has only been listened to by fanboys. I would bet that most of the people going to these australian shows haven't even listened to their new stuff.

I've seen Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, etc. live. These old guys fill their set lists mostly with old songs. Not because they haven't written new material...They have. Bob Dylan has released Grammy award winning shit within the past two decades. Did he play a lot of that shit live? No. He played a bunch of old hits sprinkled in with new stuff. And Bob Dylan is the anti-sellout. The dude has done everything possible not be a sell out. He's done one major television interview in his entire 50 year career.

Live shows have to cater to the people in attendance. NFG plays old shit because their new shit was a flop.

Once (if ever) blink releases an album that achieves mainstream/critical success. Trust me. They will play it. Until then, they are going to be a greatest hits band whether us fanboys like it or not. It's just how it works.

But if you look at their setlist now from the Aussie tour they are playing a good amount of new tracks IMO.

this logic is flawed.

By the time TOYPAJ came out, blink was popular because of Enema and TOYPAJ. Sure a few people liked Dammit or whatever, but they got big because of Enema. period. They didn't play older songs because the older songs were not a mainstream success.

I'm sure if they wrote another album that was as big of a hit as Enema or TOYPAJ, their set list would change drastically. But, the fact is, the overwhelming majority of people attending blink shows are attending them because they like their OLD songs. Their new stuff has only been listened to by fanboys. I would bet that most of the people going to these australian shows haven't even listened to their new stuff.

I've seen Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, etc. live. These old guys fill their set lists mostly with old songs. Not because they haven't written new material...They have. Bob Dylan has released Grammy award winning shit within the past two decades. Did he play a lot of that shit live? No. He played a bunch of old hits sprinkled in with new stuff. And Bob Dylan is the anti-sellout. The dude has done everything possible not be a sell out. He's done one major television interview in his entire 50 year career.

Live shows have to cater to the people in attendance. NFG plays old shit because their new shit was a flop.

Once (if ever) blink releases an album that achieves mainstream/critical success. Trust me. They will play it. Until then, they are going to be a greatest hits band whether us fanboys like it or not. It's just how it works.

In YOUR opinion, you obviously haven't seen NFG since they released new shit...they do play new stuff live.

last three times i saw them their set was based around sticks and stones. haven't seen them in 3 years or so.

I've seen em 3 times in the last couple years, one time was all request (which is something bands need to do more often) 2nd time was for their new record which i think they did like 4 or 5 new tracks. Then the third was warped tour last summer they played a couple new ones.

if blink was a small band like that with a small fan base that knew all of their songs it would be a different story. fact is that most of blink's fan base comes from the 99-2003 radio days when they were super popular. that is the only reason they are able to play to such huge audiences still. ATST is still on the radio today.

• Like 1

this logic is flawed.

spot on....live shows have to cater to those in attendance.  us fans wanna hear wasting time or degenarate or dick lips....vast majority dont know any of those songs.

this logic is flawed.

Wasn't he like the ultimate sellout in the 60's`? When I saw him he played bunch of new stuff, too much even maybe.