The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

It's amazing that he keeps all these riffs in his head for so many years. When I write stuff, if it doesn't turn into something within a week or two, I pretty much just forget it.  But between that, and then Up All Night coming from a riff he wrote in 2003, Tom seems to just have a bank of riffs in his mind that he is just waiting for a song to follow after.

It's amazing that he keeps all these riffs in his head for so many years. When I write stuff, if it doesn't turn into something within a week or two, I pretty much just forget it.  But between that, and then Up All Night coming from a riff he wrote in 2003, Tom seems to just have a bank of riffs in his mind that he is just waiting for a song to follow after.

I agree it is amazing on how many riffs Tom has and remembers over the years. There's a video on how he takes a simple root of a riff and there's so many ways you can change it up to sound different.

I went to lunch with my girlfriend's stepmom today who used to be married to someone who worked with blink, and it was interesting hearing her tell me about them and her confirming what most of us already believe/have heard. She went to all three of their weddings and said she hasn't spoken to any of them in a while but still hears some things from friends about how things currently are within the band.

The first thing she said to me is "Mark and Tom have a very complicated relationship." She went on to tell me that they definitely have always had a tension, even as far back as when she knew them during the Enema/TOYPAJ days. She says they're close friends but that they're so different that it creates this tension that definitely led to the initial break up but she's heard from mutual friends that they're a lot better off these days and friends again.

She called Tom the "creative genius" because of how all over the place he is and incredibly intense. He never stops having ideas and creating new music. She said Mark is very go with the flow. Travis is really nice.

She mentioned seeing Box Car Racer at The Wiltern in LA and that to this day it's one of the best shows she's ever been to. She even knew about Tom being pushed to do a solo record. She told me that things got pretty bad at the end and it was pretty apparent to everyone on the inside that blink wasn't going to last much longer and that's why Tom was pushed to do a solo record.

I was also told that Rick DeVoe is an amateur and didn't really know how to mediate things well or get certain things done that managers should know.

There wasn't much else but it was really cool to hear all of these things we speculate about/have heard in interviews confirmed by someone who used to hang out with them all the time.

• Like 3

I went to lunch with my girlfriend's stepmom today who used to be married to someone who worked with blink, and it was interesting hearing her tell me about them and her confirming what most of us already believe/have heard. She went to all three of their weddings and said she hasn't spoken to any of them in a while but still hears some things from friends about how things currently are within the band.

The first thing she said to me is "Mark and Tom have a very complicated relationship." She went on to tell me that they definitely have always had a tension, even as far back as when she knew them during the Enema/TOYPAJ days. She says they're close friends but that they're so different that it creates this tension that definitely led to the initial break up but she's heard from mutual friends that they're a lot better off these days and friends again.

She called Tom the "creative genius" because of how all over the place he is and incredibly intense. He never stops having ideas and creating new music. She said Mark is very go with the flow. Travis is really nice.

She mentioned seeing Box Car Racer at The Wiltern in LA and that to this day it's one of the best shows she's ever been to. She even knew about Tom being pushed to do a solo record. She told me that things got pretty bad at the end and it was pretty apparent to everyone on the inside that blink wasn't going to last much longer and that's why Tom was pushed to do a solo record.

I was also told that Rick DeVoe is an amateur and didn't really know how to mediate things well or get certain things done that managers should know.

There wasn't much else but it was really cool to hear all of these things we speculate about/have heard in interviews confirmed by someone who used to hang out with them all the time.

could you ask your girlfriend's stepmom to get on this board?

Does anyone else besides me always post blink-182 stuff on Facebook and nobody ever likes or comments on them? Hahaha. None of my friends care about blink as much as I do. :P

I do it all the time. Usually get nothing. Sometimes get blink 182 are gay or something. The odd time i get likes or comments off nostalgia

• Like 1