The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

yeah his image change attempt was a horrible fail. not only did he make his image worse by acting a douche, he continued to embrace his old image, but even more awkwardly. he told the same one legged chick story at an AVA show i was at...

it's also strange how he sometimes admits his failures in AVA (just read the Wishing Well lyrics), but then turns around and does the same stupid shit again. he's turned out to be a self-destructive person. 

His "same stupid shit" is completely subjective - just because AVA is a financial disaster doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy the concept and outlet of AVA much more than the corporate/capitalist juggernaut blink-182 has become.

To be honest, I think it's a pretty decent way to live - you get to be creative and have fun (which is clearly evident he has much more fun in AVA than in blink) for most of your life, and then when you can't afford to sustain that way of living, he goes back "to work" for blink. It's a shitty thing for the fans, but hell, it sure beats working any other way. His 'work' is him getting drunk and playing old rock songs in front of millions of people screaming your name. What a fucking life. 

I don't think it's much of a crisis though, I think it's completely justified. I mean, they still do interviews telling people "they're not guys who run around naked anymore - we're a serious band!!!" I can't imagine how shitty it would be being typecast into one role all your life by the majority of the WORLD, no matter what you did to prove otherwise. 

Welcome to like 90% of the people in entertainment.

His "same stupid shit" is completely subjective - just because AVA is a financial disaster doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy the concept and outlet of AVA much more than the corporate/capitalist juggernaut blink-182 has become.

To be honest, I think it's a pretty decent way to live - you get to be creative and have fun (which is clearly evident he has much more fun in AVA than in blink) for most of your life, and then when you can't afford to sustain that way of living, he goes back "to work" for blink. It's a shitty thing for the fans, but hell, it sure beats working any other way. His 'work' is him getting drunk and playing old rock songs in front of millions of people screaming your name. What a fucking life. 

I totally agree with you. But if he enjoys AVA, then do AVA, and leave Blink. But Tom wants it both ways. He wants financial assistance from Blink to fund AVA; meanwhile Blink fans eat shit.

i suppose i can see the whole painkillers thing kinda fueling the weird nervous breakdown he had that birthed AVA. there was that giant 2006 interview with mark with a question that asked, are we seeing the real tom now, and replied yes. i can't see why mark would lie even if he harbored immense bitterness for the situation. i guess you never saw the wacko side of tom in the dude ranch years. 

It's pretty evident that Tom is more comfortable in AVA. In the beginning I think was about control, but at this point it's clear he has an easier rapport with Ilan, Matt and David than with Mark or Travis. Friendships change. It sucks. But blink should really embrace the tension that obviously exists within the band. It's just kinda par for the course when you've been around as long as they have.

Drugs.

I also think he had some early mid life crisis. Wanted to completely rid himself of the whole pop/punk thing and focus on music with "meaning".

I think it's easier than that. He had a super high period of being fanboy of Bono and U2. Hahah.

People need to realize that the general public and people at blink shows have no idea neighbourhoods or dogs eating dogs exist

I'd say over half don't know it exists and are mainly just there to hear ATST and WMAA and a few other singles.

People also need to realize that the majority of the General Public don't care about Blink and won't be seeing them in concert. Blink have trouble filling 3K clubs at this point. The day of the 18,000K seat venue is over. The "Greatest Hits" crowd had their nostalgia and have moved on.

The majority of people at shows now are the die hard fans like us.

People also need to realize that the majority of the General Public don't care about Blink and won't be seeing them in concert. Blink have trouble filling 3K clubs at this point. The day of the 18,000K seat venue is over. The "Greatest Hits" crowd had their nostalgia and have moved on.

The majority of people at shows now are the die hard fans like us.

Said right before they are set to headline Reading and Leeds.

• Like 2

Totally different overseas. You have people there who are never able to see Blink. Its a festival show where people come from many "kilometers" to see multiple bands. Get drunk/high and have the music be secondary to the music. You cant base a couple of one off overseas shows as overall popularity. If you think can get away with greatest hits sets in areans in the US, you are totally fooling yourself.

The market in the US is club shows with only die hard fans. Blink would have to be a supporting band at this point for arena shows. A pop disaster 2 might work with Blink as an opener. Then you'd get to watch GD totally destroy them live.

LOL

Good grief Oliver....

So you pretty much think they're a club band now and can't fill arenas lol man that's great.

What's this opinion based off of Oliver?

The opinion is based off the fact that Blink took a few days to sell out venues that held 2500 people on their last trek in the US.

There is no way in hell they could sell standard areans that hold 18K. Not a chance. It would have to be a festival or they'd have to support a more popular band.

• Like 1

I think you're wrong but that just my opinion and you're basing yours off just a few club shows which i think is a stupid thing to do but again it's just an opinion.

Also i don't ever see Blink being a support act for anyone, i truly think your days as a Blink fan are numbered and you're just over them at this point in your life and you just want to see them fail.

Personally i would have no problem with Blink just doing clubs to that size it would make shows more fun to be there with a bunch of diehards.

Again i think they can do an arena tour again and i'm sure they will especially if they ever release another album again. But again it's all a matter of opinion which in the end of the day doesn't mean jack shit to anyone.

I think you're wrong but that just my opinion and you're basing yours off just a few club shows which i think is a stupid thing to do but again it's just an opinion.

Also i don't ever see Blink being a support act for anyone, i truly think your days as a Blink fan are numbered and you're just over them at this point in your life and you just want to see them fail.

Personally i would have no problem with Blink just doing clubs to that size it would make shows more fun to be there with a bunch of diehards.

Again i think they can do an arena tour again and i'm sure they will especially if they ever release another album again. But again it's all a matter of opinion which in the end of the day doesn't mean jack shit to anyone.

But its kind of economics 101.

If you own a 7 Eleven and you sell 30 hot dogs in a day. Would you go ahead and buy 500 hot dogs to sell per day?

Its common sense. Yes, if Blink had a hit album come out that would be different. But  do you see that happening?

But that wasn't the argument anyway. The argument was that Blink should continue to play stale setlists because most fans are casual. I contested that with the pretty solid idea that the casual fan is gone and backed that up with specific data.