The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Red Hot Chili Peppers released massively popular albums well into there 30s and 40s. Dave Grohl is 45 and on top of his game.

There's no reason a good blink album with big hooks and a fresh sound couldn't be huge again. The window is closing though. Tom really fucked them by ignoring their plans to record this year. Would have been perfect.

Different musicians and bands peak at different times in their lives. Blink wrote about teenage angst and relationships, I would say peaking in their 20s/30s seems about right. 

• Like 1

Yeah, cause it's not like that guy drinks at his gigs 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVSoL6R7R4Q

This happened once. He apologized about it. Later on, he did a show FOR FREE at the same place. So... RESPECT for Mr. Skiba. That was a very concrete weird and rock bottom moment in his life. Is not an excuse, but he recognized the problem and solved it without being a douche.

Different musicians and bands peak at different times in their lives. Blink wrote about teenage angst and relationships, I would say peaking in their 20s/30s seems about right. 

Untitled was a little bit angsty, but I wouldn't say it was targeted toward teenagers like their previous albums. Neighborhoods definitely wasn't and it was on the verge of being something special and they didn't even work together on it.

I think they're all past due for a big release. They have it in them if Tom can commit a few months to writing it. 

Untitled was a little bit angsty, but I wouldn't say it was targeted toward teenagers like their previous albums. Neighborhoods definitely wasn't and it was on the verge of being something special and they didn't even work together on it.

I think they're all past due for a big release. They have it in them if Tom can commit a few months to writing it. 

Yes it was. Natives is like the most teen angsty song Blink has ever done. Up All Night was marketed as a teen angst song (music video). Love is Dangerous, Even if She Falls, After Midnight, etc. all were about relationships that appealed to a younger audience. 

Some of the songs were more mature and didn't play off their old image, but at least half the album was standard Blink. 

Yes it was. Natives is like the most teen angsty song Blink has ever done. Up All Night was marketed as a teen angst song (music video). Love is Dangerous, Even if She Falls, After Midnight, etc. all were about relationships that appealed to a younger audience. 

Some of the songs were more mature and didn't play off their old image, but at least half the album was standard Blink. 

What band doesn't write about relationships? And the Neighborhoods music videos were completely controlled by the label, I think it's pointless to read into them.

I just disagree over your optimism of Blink being able to return to form. They're past their prime, it is so evident. Not even just because Tom is unwilling to collaborate, but also because Mark has hit a wall with his writing. They can't write the same songs they used to be able to, they lack the production values Jerry Finn brought to the table, and they care more about things outside of the band now (not to mention bands like Blink are slowly becoming irrelevant in today's pop culture, but that's purely from a sales/business point of view). 

• Like 1

They're certainly not gonna be able to go back to the mega-stardom of 2004 but they can still be relevant. They just need to ditch the idea that they can do so by sticking to whatever made it work a decade ago. The band should become more self-aware. Wishing Well was a step in the right direction.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Zy2GkWVFs&feature=kp

I'm hoping with their next album (if it happens) that they invent some new sounds. Mark's guitar tone is just awful and all of Tom's synth tricks and delay tricks aren't going to take them anywhere. They need to create a new cohesive sound. It should no longer be obvious who wrote what song or who played guitar on it.

• Like 2