The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Respectable musicians that care about their craft? LOL

Since when has Blink ever tried to get better? 2003-2004?

Way to read the context of what I was saying.  I said in that sense, at least they are respectable musicians that care about their craft.  Do I need to spell it out for you?  They practice, they care about playing their instruments and singing the right way before going on tours.  No, they haven't done much to the setlist, and Tom's voice is terrible, but that doesn't mean that they are terrible in all aspects of what they do.  It would be less respectable of them, and clear that they didn't care at all about their craft if they didn't practice before playing shows.  Please, go on and spin this in a way where somehow its disrespectful and clear that they don't care about how good they are at playing their instruments because they practice before tours.

Nope when you've played the setlist 1000 fucking times. No. It wouldn't be necessary. Unless you are like mentally challenged or something. I've driven a car thousands of times. I wouldn't need a lesson after 7 months of not driving.

What about Nascar and Formula One racers?  They've driven thousands of times, but surely they still practice when they aren't in a tournament of some sort.  You're trying to compare doing something casually as if its the same as professionally, when it very clearly isn't.

Way to read the context of what I was saying.  I said in that sense, at least they are respectable musicians that care about their craft.  Do I need to spell it out for you?  They practice, they care about playing their instruments and singing the right way before going on tours.  No, they haven't done much to the setlist, and Tom's voice is terrible, but that doesn't mean that they are terrible in all aspects of what they do.  It would be less respectable of them, and clear that they didn't care at all about their craft if they didn't practice before playing shows.  Please, go on and spin this in a way where somehow its disrespectful and clear that they don't care about how good they are at playing their instruments because they practice before tours.

Okay, but is that any different from any other band? I don't know of many bands that goe onstage and don't know how to play or don't know what they are doing. Blink definitely haven't done anything extra since they reformed. They do just enough to get by.

What about Nascar and Formula One racers?  They've driven thousands of times, but surely they still practice when they aren't in a tournament of some sort.  You're trying to compare doing something casually as if its the same as professionally, when it very clearly isn't.

Apples and oranges. Professional sports has a margin of error of .01% or whatever. You could eat the wrong thing for breakfast and go from being in first place to being in last place.

That isn't how performaning an old setlist onstage works.

Okay, but is that any different from any other band? I don't know of many bands that goe onstage and don't know how to play or don't know what they are doing. Blink definitely haven't done anything extra since they reformed. They do just enough to get by.

But how many bands do you know for sure go on stage without any practice before hand?  And if you're asking, yes I would consider it to mean that musicians don't care quite as much for their craft if they aren't practicing songs they've played over and over before shows.

Apples and oranges. Professional sports has a margin of error of .01% or whatever. You could eat the wrong thing for breakfast and go from being in first place to being in last place.

That isn't how performaning an old setlist onstage works.

Sorry Oli, I just gotta disagree with you here.  I'm no professional musician, but I know the importance of getting yourself warmed up at what you do professionally.  For everyone this method of warming up may be different, but for bands new and old, I understand the importance of practicing your setlist, even if its not even a very new setlist.

Besides, you know damn well you'd be complaining if one of them publicly announced via twitter or whatever, that there would be zero practicing before the concerts.  I get that you like to nitpick every little thing that bothers you about this band. But really this should not be one of those things at all.

As a "new member" I ask to not be associated with trolls. I could care less about personal shit between board members, this is just about the only place with blink discussion that is somewhat relevant. I will only talk shit on 2 things on this site...toms old hat and the song "fighting the gravity."

• Like 4

Sorry Oli, I just gotta disagree with you here.  I'm no professional musician, but I know the importance of getting yourself warmed up at what you do professionally.  For everyone this method of warming up may be different, but for bands new and old, I understand the importance of practicing your setlist, even if its not even a very new setlist.

Besides, you know damn well you'd be complaining if one of them publicly announced via twitter or whatever, that there would be zero practicing before the concerts.  I get that you like to nitpick every little thing that bothers you about this band. But really this should not be one of those things at all.

You (and others) are making my statement into more than it is. I am not really "complaining" or "bitching" about them rehearsing. I am  stating the simple truth that if you do the same show overr and over again 1000 times....you don't need to practice it.

I would not be complaining if they didn't get together to rehearse. This certainly doesn't count towards working on Blink. It is ducktaping together a stale setlist for a paycheck.

As a "new member" I ask to not be associated with trolls. I could care less about personal shit between board members, this is just about the only place with blink discussion that is somewhat relevant. I will only talk shit on 2 things on this site...toms old hat and the song "fighting the gravity."

Welcome to the boards. good to see new people. FTG is a great song IMO.

Welcome to the boards. good to see new people. FTG is a great song IMO.

Thanks, just don't want all of us newbies to be discredited because of a couple boners. Yeah it's a real hit or miss, a lot of my friends like it a lot. Not my thing. 

The wikipedia thing is hilarious. Blink just has that about them I guess. People disagree.

I remember getting into a wikipedia editing war once. I won.

Thanks, just don't want all of us newbies to be discredited because of a couple boners. Yeah it's a real hit or miss, a lot of my friends like it a lot. Not my thing. 

Yeah, I know what you are saying.

I would not be complaining if they didn't get together to rehearse. This certainly doesn't count towards working on Blink. It is ducktaping together a stale setlist for a paycheck.

Uh I was never asserting that it did count toward working on blink.  I'm asserting, that its both understandable why they would practice before going on tour, and that its respectable, that even after all these years, they still find time to get together to practice before shows.  That does not equate to me saying, "Hooray! They're working on the new album now."  I think you need to read take a breath and digest what it is that other are saying before placing thoughts or ideas into their mouths.

• Like 2