The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

One comment made by one woman proves that modern feminism is stupid?

Well, if you want to be reductive about it I guess you can put it that way. But the truth is that comment reflects a large part of modern feminism. Modern feminist often spin any gender-specific comment, even if (like in this case) they know that the comment was a joke, and act like the person who made said comment hates women and believes that men are superior.

They make issues out of non-issues in order to act like their cause is still relevant in ways that it simply isn't. If modern feminism has a purpose, it certainly isn't in criticizing blink-182.

• Like 1

And maybe it's worth considering who would really be insulted by the term "faggot". You insult straight men by using terms that call them gay or feminine (faggot, homo, bitch, cunt, etc.). Dick is pretty much the only exception.

Yeah you're right. It was just the first example that came to mind. I don't think it's "okay" either.

Scott there is no need to attack the reviewer with gender based slurs. Tone it down please.

seriously? you are all going to call scott on this one time hes called someone a slag?....he does it daily...please dont pick and choose when to get upset about the way he speaks that just seems silly.

yeah but the same people who are upset by it eg cookies, has spoken with him plenty of times and he talks the same way all the time. I understand feminism...but feminists dont pick and choose when to get upset about something

im not saying its right, scott is always saying ridiculous shit (eg any of his football post topics for the last 2 years) but when one day they dont care and the next they do, thats when its silly

There is literally a blink-182 lyric that says "your mom's a whore." If you're so nitpicky about word choice, why are you even a fan of blink?

If a guy had written the review I'm sure people would be calling him a faggot. Again, not excusing the use of terms like that, but the author is absolutely not being singled out for being a woman.

It's not just the words, it's the context and tone. Blink have lots of offensive lyrics about different things and anyone would be silly to be actually offended by any of it. In this context, a woman pissed people off so suddenly she's a slag.

• Like 1

It's not just the words, it's the context and tone. Blink have lots of offensive lyrics about different things and anyone would be silly to be actually offended by any of it. In this context, a woman pissed people off so suddenly she's a slag.

That negates her argument, she wrote dumb things about lyrics and jokes Blink write/make that were never intended to be taken seriously.

All this leaves is the way the board attacked her, and I agree with your stance on that.

Well, if you want to be reductive about it I guess you can put it that way. But the truth is that comment reflects a large part of modern feminism. Modern feminist often spin any gender-specific comment, even if (like in this case) they know that the comment was a joke, and act like the person who made said comment hates women and believes that men are superior.

They make issues out of non-issues in order to act like their cause is still relevant in ways that it simply isn't. If modern feminism has a purpose, it certainly isn't in criticizing blink-182.

Fuck no it doesn't. It represents a very small part which, for some reason, seems to receive the most attention.

My friend went to a pro-choice rally here in Ireland today, because our abortion laws are bulshit, that is an example of what modern feminism is about.

That negates her argument, she wrote dumb things about lyrics and jokes Blink write/make that were never intended to be taken seriously.

All this leaves is the way the board attacked her, and I agree with your stance on that.

I don't agree with her at all obviously, she's an asshat, my only issue is with the way people reacted.

yeah but the same people who are upset by it eg cookies, has spoken with him plenty of times and he talks the same way all the time. I understand feminism...but feminists dont pick and choose when to get upset about something

im not saying its right, scott is always saying ridiculous shit (eg any of his football post topics for the last 2 years) but when one day they dont care and the next they do, thats when its silly

My real issue was that they were a few people saying that kind of thing and especially that when someone called them out on it he got a load of shit for it.

• Like 1

If I decided to wear a dress tomorrow, there's no way I could walk the streets without people laughing at me or harassing me. I don't believe for a second that I'd be taken seriously, and that's something that would effect me as a dude and not women, but it is a feminist case as it shows that things that are feminine is something to make fun of and ridicule and something a dude shouldn't do. This is also shown in that masculine jobs are more appreciated than feminine ones even if the work is about the same, this is something that also effects dudes in feminine jobs as well as women, so it's not just a gender issue, but a gender role issue, I think we also need to recognize that there are fields were women have more benefits than men(I'd say), but this is something that obviously needs balance and we still have a long way too go. The moment we think we are "equal enough" is when we are screwed.

A huge problem right now it's Political correct analysis of arts, it's the way someone expresses themselves, whether it's music or art or humor. If every,little thing in the arts is cherry picked and PC-fied we won't have any arts anymore, we'll be stuck with bullshit that doesn't offend anyone. This lady is part of this problem, and she also is part of why feminism get a bad reputation. But everyone time someone writes stupid shit like that even worse shit gets posted at those who write it, and that IS a huge problem! Last week that douche Earl Sweatshirt called Taylor Swift racist for making some stupid music video, and that idea is dumb as fuck, but could anyone really see themselves writing "Fucking anti racist nigger, he should go pick me some fucking cotton" if you think that's fine, go ahead, I guess. 

• Like 1