The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

You realize you're just describing the other side of the same problem, right? Women are assumed to want to be mothers and to naturally be better care takers, so they (...we) face problems in employment/pay. The other side of the same coin is that men are thought to not be as competent/essential in child rearing, so they face issues in trying to get custody.

Yes, but I also believe that the situation reflects biological differences to an extent. To be sure, there's without a doubt a lot of room for convergence but, given free will, women will, on average, choose child rearing over careers and men vice versa. Using these assumed differences as grounds for collective discrimination is sexism but, as I said, there's no evidence that women make less money than men do (in the West) simply because they are women.

We were discussing careers, I agree that this all ends up being beneficial for a mother in other ways but that doesn't change the fact that it hurts her career. Also, I'm not ignoring the fact that this inequality hurts the father too, just not his career.

But it's not a gender-based "inequality": Men do not lose out in custody battles merely because they have dicks instead of vaginas.