The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I would much rather listen to this is home over eisfil. Ive said before but ill never understand why even if she falls is so loved. Yes its good but its nothing special i feel. Dont get all the comparison to enema and take off at all

Me neither. Like I said before, it's one of the songs that reminds me most of Angels & Airwaves on the album.

Every time I hear this song:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHPPAsAJ6cY

the first other song I'm reminded of is always this, not exactly sure why, but I instantly am reminded of this which was always a favorite of mine from TOYPAJ:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1auwIvR1U

I always thought that Please Take Me Home sounded like a mature song wrapped up in adolescence coupled with a pop-punk beat.  I feel the same thing about Even If She Falls as well, though it doesn't delve so deep into adolescence, the same feelings are elicted from me by both songs, even though I'd argue that Please Take Me Home is a more negative song about not getting what you want, while Even If She Falls, feels much more like a positive song, but you don't know if you get what you want in that song as its about the girl, which I think makes it a much less selfish song.  So while I'd say the tune and the feelings they elicit from me are very similar, Even If She Falls has the added punch of what made the self titled and BCR albums so much more meaningful.  I mean if all of that is also how you'd describe Angels and Airwaves, then I'd agree with you.  But that is not at all how AVA sounds to me, and none of the feelings or mood brought to me are remotely similar to how AVA songs typically make me feel.

• Like 1

there were fan q&a's with bill stevenson of descendents, and he was asked about producing the next blink record:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2jtq2k/we_are_milo_aukerman_bill_stevenson_karl_alvarez/
Q: Hey Bill! Would you be the producer for the next blink-182 album? (I know they will ask you to be. Please accept it, and teach those guys how to be a real band! They desperately need their idol's input...)
A: I have known those guys for quite a while - they seem to do well with the more "big name" type producers.. so, i think things are probably as they should be - bill

http://www.punknews.org/article/56265/interviews-well-do-it-live-bill-stevenson
Q: Bill, what do you think of bands that have clearly idolized or been influenced by ALL or The Descendents, such as The Foo Fighters, The Offspring, Blink-182, Sum 41, Pennywise or Face to Face? Would you consider producing a record by one of those bands?
A: I would love to do a pennywise record. we grew up in the same town. I am open to anything, as long as I don't hate a band's songs

Oh my god, I wanna fuck that ferris wheel looking girl

To be fair the lyric is:

And she was like a starry night

Like a ferris wheel, full of blue-green eyes

And a heart of steel, always on her own

Almost never real

He never says, "And she looked like a ferris wheel," just that she's like one, and like a starry night.  That can mean millions of things and is certainly not restricted to looks.  The phrasing could simply mean she's exciting like a ferris wheel, she's fun like a ferris wheel, she's magical like a ferrris wheel.  Its very clearly open to interpretation. 

• Like 1

i think my top five for neighborhoods would go as thus:

1. AM

2. GOTDF

3. Kaleidoscope

4. This is Home

5. HAG

kaleidoscope is so great. but AM is just perfect blink and GODTF blows me away every time. this is home is crazy catchy and HAG is a good mark song (since it's clear tom had nothing to do with it). i remember downloading HAG after up all night and being so relieved, like "this is the blink i remember." not that progressive blink is bad, far from it, but i always disliked UAN.

Up All Night was a shocking choice for a return single, probably only actually was because the lazy bastards hadn't actually finished anything else by this point and the pressure was on to get something out because they had been back together for yonks and not released a thing.

After Midnight would have been a far better choice. 

• Like 1

Best song on Neighborhoods for me is HAG. That's one of the few songs on there I have no qualms about.

I feel like there is tons of room for improvement on Neighborhoods. One Instance I bring up all the time is Natives. Great dog until the out of place breakdown, and then the last chorus feels unecessary. It should end after the second chorus, IMO.

Little things like that prevent a lot of the Neighborhoods song from being that great IMO. Some songs came together for sure though. They feel cohesive. Maybe unspurprisingly, they're mostly Mark songs. Fighting the Gravity, HAG, Kaleidoscope, AM...

I thought Natives ending was great, the way it builds up then Travis switches to the fast beat for the last chorus. That is a great ending. Then you have Ghost on the Dancefloor that is awesome up until the last chorus. The bridge has a huge build up and the last chorus is so weak compared to what it should be. That's the kinda shit you need a producer for. Final chorus in that song shoulda been epic with like 30 guitars crazy drums and 4 other synths but it's basically the same as the others

Still, Ghost on the Dancefloor and Snake Charmer are my favourites on the record. Snake Charmer chorus is great

I think the only part of the album I don't like is the This Is Home chorus. There's a lot of room for improvement yeah but I like most of the album, more than some other blink albums

Even If She Falls

Kaleidoscope

Snake Charmer

Up All Night

Ghost On The Dancefloor

Those are probably my top 5 (in no order) followed closely by After Midnight, Hearts All Gone, Natives, Fighting the Gravity, and Love Is Dangerous

Damn, the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that despite the flaws of Neighborhoods, I really do love that album.  It has a weak point for me with This Is Home, Wishing Well, and MH all is close proximity of each other (for me anyway), but Kaleidoscope is right in the middle of it, and my god if that song isn't one of the most brilliant things they've ever written.  And because its in the middle of the weak section of the album, I always kind of didn't get Kaleidoscope the credit it deserves, as that song is fucking awesome.  If this is the album they create when they're dragging their asses and doing everything wrong in this day and age, can you imagine if they tried and recorded this new album exactly as they did with self titled?  It would undoubtedly be the best thing they'd ever created.

So im the only one that likes Wishing Well then...

I like Wishing Well, those other people are heathens... don't listen to them! The loons like Slipknot, what the hell do they know about anything in the general vicinity of good music? Go us!

• Like 1