The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

just rewatched some old interviews...

it was really fucked up that tom changed his numbers during the break up, i think.

i have no intention to start a tom bashing but yeah. crazy

if you want to burn a bridge, you can't do it half assed. "i don't want to talk to you anymore - but here's my number (so call me maybe)", well, it's not working.

also from the same interview:

why does he view it that way? blink stopped being the "punk rock ethos" band long before they broke up. it seems like he forgets untitled ever existed. is it odd that i hate 50% of AVA's output, but would appreciate the same level of "artistry" in blink? 

If being more artistic means making the mixing for your new album sound like crap.... then Tom's a brilliant artist.

• Like 1

from what i've seen, it looks like tom had a nervous breakdown of sorts in 2004-5. maybe that's why he's largely been a pretentious asshat since. but then again, there was this interview...

I'm pretty sure it was something like that. A breakdown, an anxiety crysis... whatever. Mark said he said he just felt burned out. That's a feeling that matches with all that things. It's a very hard situation. From what Tom explains on the Start The Machine DVD, it kinda seems like that. And it's hard to understand from the outside. Specially if you're doing things badly, which seems what happened. Of course tom had a problem, but I doubt he solved it the best way he could. but being on that situation, in which your band is playing their biggest tour in your life, is hard to handle I guess.

All this can't justify some of the things he did later on, or how he solve dthe shit, but is a thing to be considered.

I think everybody is fixated on Tom's egotistical and grandiose comments that happened when the first AVA album came out. He hasn't said any of that second coming of Christ stuff since then, and the kind of excitement you see now is just normal enthusiasm. For whatever reason (drugs, not getting the reception he expected from the 1st album.. etc), it's been long over now, for nearly a decade, and I think people are holding him to it for too long. 

It's kind of like if people, 10 years later, still called blink-182 the running around naked band. Yes, it happened at one point, but you're being a lazy historian if you hold on to that stereotype past it's expiry. Same thing for Tom's delusional comments when WDNTW was coming out. He's no longer like that anymore. 

I think everybody is fixated on Tom's egotistical and grandiose comments that happened when the first AVA album came out. He hasn't said any of that second coming of Christ stuff since then, and the kind of excitement you see now is just normal enthusiasm. For whatever reason (drugs, not getting the reception he expected from the 1st album.. etc), it's been long over now, for nearly a decade, and I think people are holding him to it for too long. 

It's kind of like if people, 10 years later, still called blink-182 the running around naked band. Yes, it happened at one point, but you're being a lazy historian if you hold on to that stereotype past it's expiry. Same thing for Tom's delusional comments when WDNTW was coming out. He's no longer like that anymore. 

True, he did scale it back. But Tom still makes plenty of delusional comments regarding AVA.

He's constantly doing it. Didn't he just describe the Poet project as "revolutionary" (while in reality it's no more revolutionary than WDNTW or Modlife were, even though he said the same thing about both)?

Saying the Best Song he's ever written is on the upcoming album.

I don't think that's delusional or grandiose. He probably does think that, because that's where he is now, aesthetically. He's not as into pop punk or punk sounds, and he thinks his sound now is the best he's done. It's also in keeping with Tom's style.. everything he's done since the beginning of blink, he's thought it's his best ever. And why shouldn't he? It's the best representation of where his head is at now. In shorter terms, it's all subjective. 

I would say a more delusional thing to say would be if he called Poet "revolutionary" like MSandt said. That's not subjective, because revolutionary implies he's changing things culturally or something. But from my memory, I don't think he's said that. 

• Like 1

He said: On this project, everything started rolling together faster and faster, and it’s actually all happening! It’s very exciting and if it starts to work, it could be transformative for the music and film industry in the sense that people collaborate together on one project rather than everyone doing their own. I think that’s where the arts can go over the next few years. 

http://www.purevolume.com/news/The-PV-QA-Tom-DeLonge-Angels-And-Airwaves-Interview-2014

Okay, he didn't say "it will be" but it's the same hyperbolic bs we've been hearing since WDNTW.

He said: On this project, everything started rolling together faster and faster, and it’s actually all happening! It’s very exciting and if it starts to work, it could be transformative for the music and film industry in the sense that people collaborate together on one project rather than everyone doing their own. I think that’s where the arts can go over the next few years. 

http://www.purevolume.com/news/The-PV-QA-Tom-DeLonge-Angels-And-Airwaves-Interview-2014

Okay, he didn't say "it will be" but it's the same hyperbolic bs we've been hearing since WDNTW.

You probably won't like this answer, but it depends on how hyperbolic you really think it is. Yes, transforming the industry is pretty unlikely, and that AVA would be the trigger for that even less likely, but he's not exactly saying that. He's saying this is where bands and art should go, and where it might. He's not saying it will, or that AVA is the reason it will happen, just that it's his idea of the future.

I think it's interesting when any artist tries to re-imagine a way music is going to be presented in the future. Certainly people like Thom Yorke does it all the time. Nobody is saying that, for example, Radiohead or Thom Yorke's model is going to be the way the industry does things in the future, but it is an interesting thought experiment. The difference between Yorke and Delonge is that Delonge's personality is more impulsive, child-like, and optimistic - but that's not something that is unexpected from a guy that is a punk rock kid at heart. 

Whether or not any of these "experiments" actually work, they should be lent credibility if they are actually tried. It would be delusional or ridiculous if these things weren't even actually tried. Tom really IS making a movie, a comic book, action figures, and all that stuff,and it really is following a unified effort of artists that work together. The people working on it really do have credentials, in terms of the previous work they've done being critically acclaimed. He's not delusional because, for example, the artists he's used actually HAVE worked on Star Wars, etc. Sure he speaks very excitedly and optimistically, but  it's not like he's not walking the walk when he talks the talk. In otherwords it's not BS, because it's actually a good, well reasoned try, with all of the necessary effort, investment, and risk-taking. It'd be a lot more BS if there was none of this extra stuff, and Tom just released a single and said this was going to change the way music is written; but that's not what he's doing. 

Whether or not the stuff actually picks up and this is the future is anybody's guess, and likely it wouldn't be, but it's worth trying to propose new visions of the future, and everybody has their different ways of talking about it. Radiohead tried the pay as you want, U2 tried the iTunes thing, and Tom is trying it through a unification of different art forms. 

What people aren't willing to dissociate is their distaste for his craft nowadays and their wishes for blink to happen, from calling it delusional, manic, conceited insanity. Sure, we all want blink-182 back just as much as each other, but you ever think that you guys are just name-calling and schoolyard bullying just because you can't get what you want? I am ready to say that I think Love and all that stuff wasn't good at all and I would rather have blink, but how immature would it be to also call Tom a stupid, delusional, arrogant, greedy liar as a way to voice my frustrations about how I can't get a blink-182 album as soon as I want to have it?

It's kind of like asking a girl out and if she says no, you call her a stuck up bitch. I get it, it hurts when someone else doesn't want the same thing as you want, but that doesn't mean the other person is a stuck up bitch. All it takes is a few deep breaths and an ounce of maturity to realize that. 

• Like 2