The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

You probably won't like this answer, but it depends on how hyperbolic you really think it is. Yes, transforming the industry is pretty unlikely, and that AVA would be the trigger for that even less likely, but he's not exactly saying that. He's saying this is where bands and art should go, and where it might. He's not saying it will, or that AVA is the reason it will happen, just that it's his idea of the future.

But there's nothing "transformative" about his idea. You mentioned Star Wars, which is an example of a franchise that has many people "collaborate together on one project rather than everyone doing their own." You've got comic books, films, music and all kinds of junk that's not very different from the "deluxe" junk Tom is trying to sell on AvA.com. That he thinks the Poet project is bringing something new to the table is why people here are saying that he's either being delusional, bullshitting or simply doesn't know the meaning of some basic words in the English language.

Whether or not any of these "experiments" actually work, they should be lent credibility if they are actually tried.

They should be lent credibility if the ideas in practice actually matched Tom's hyperbole. Modlife wasn't a revolutionary "operating system" but simply a website template that even I could have coded over a few nights. That hurts credibility.

Sure, we all want blink-182 back just as much as each other, but you ever think that you guys are just name-calling and schoolyard bullying just because you can't get what you want? I am ready to say that I think Love and all that stuff wasn't good at all and I would rather have blink, but how immature would it be to also call Tom a stupid, delusional, arrogant, greedy liar as a way to voice my frustrations about how I can't get a blink-182 album as soon as I want to have it?

There are good, objective reasons to criticize Tom. Even people with no emotional ties whatsoever to blink would call him out on his bullshit. As I said before, if Tom showed blink the respect the band deserves and cut back on his hyperbole, people would view AvA more positively, so it's not a matter of people hating Tom just because he's in AvA, but rather because of his behavior.

No, I dont think The Wolfpack is even in his top 30. If you asked Tom what was the greatest song he has ever written I think he would

probably say Violence (he'd actually probably say something off of whisper cause he's a jackass). Violence shits all over The Wolfpack. 

For Tom to compare The Wolfpack to anything off of ST is almost sacrilege. 

Again, the best thing that can come out of this "complete left turn"  for AVA is that it gets Tom's creative juices flowing for blink.

• Like 1

I really do wonder what Tom thinks his best song ever is. Not counting anything coming out on Dream Walker because obviously he'll always say his upcoming stuff is his best. I do remember him saying a long time ago on a Modcam that he loved Violence and I Miss You, but I don't remember him calling them his "favorite."

I think I remember Mark saying (even since the reunion if I'm not mistaken) that Baby, Come On is his favorite song he's ever written. Does anyone remember that? Or did I dream that.

Good post by supervic. I really feel like most of the hate tom gets for ava is that its preventing blink. They dont look at it objectively. They look at as tom from blink releasing music that doesnt sound like blink and they dont want that so theyre gonna not like it.

Also why wouldnt he say its his favourite song hes ever written? Its brand new, obviously hes going to be in love with it or else he probably wouldnt be putting it out

• Like 2

He said: On this project, everything started rolling together faster and faster, and it’s actually all happening! It’s very exciting and if it starts to work, it could be transformative for the music and film industry in the sense that people collaborate together on one project rather than everyone doing their own. I think that’s where the arts can go over the next few years. 

http://www.purevolume.com/news/The-PV-QA-Tom-DeLonge-Angels-And-Airwaves-Interview-2014

Okay, he didn't say "it will be" but it's the same hyperbolic bs we've been hearing since WDNTW.

It's ridiculous. He's saying like the fact of making a film, a soundtrack and a book is revolutionary. Hello Tom, this has been like that on the cinema industry for DECADES. A novel transformed into a movie which has a soundtrack. Briiiiiiiiiiilliant.

• Like 1

That quote is grandiose because it simply doesn't make any sense. How the hell is a collaborative art project revolutionary? Some videogames have CGI studios, musical composers, programmers, graphical designers, authors for a companion book, and teams of art directors behind them. Films have soundtracks. What is he even saying? "in the sense that people collaborate together on one project rather than everyone doing their own."

Maybe he means specifically for the music industry. But then I guess it would make even less sense considering he first released a "collaborative project" in May 1993.

• Like 1