The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

You know, when Tom made grandiose statements like "the best record you've ever heard" and such with blink, he didn't seem to mean it, it seemed ironic (to me at least). Maybe he did mean it, I don't know of course, but I never thought he was being serious with these things until AVA started/painkiller era.

• Like 1

I love how he's too lazy to tour AVA because he's embarrassed they have to play club shows lol. Uses the excuse that they're not going to do that because "that's what normal bands do."

Yeah, Tom, normal bands do that because normal bands aren't funded by one of the biggest bands in the world selling holiday t-shirts every 3 weeks.

Meanwhile, other 'normal' bands tend to throw some club shows here and there. Foo Fighters, Green Day...

Tom is lost as hell.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, other 'normal' bands tend to throw some club shows here and there. Foo Fighters, Green Day...

Tom is lost as hell.

Remember the Dolla Bill tour?  they did that right before self titled was released, they weren't above club shows when blink was on top of the world, so I'm not so sure Tom would never do a club show again.   Weren't most of the self titled anniversary shows in clubs too?  

• Like 1

I have to give Tom some credit. He is really putting his ass on the line in a sense. Books, Toys, Movies, Video games, EPs, Novels, Marvel.....he must be dumping a shit ton of money into this and so far its basically been a 10 year failure. That is pretty ballsy on his part.

I can't fault Tom for having a dream and taking a risk......but he is totally delusional.

He doesn't want AVA to tour clubs? Wait till all this shit goes nowhere and AVA is touring clubs.

I have to give Tom some credit. He is really putting his ass on the line in a sense. Books, Toys, Movies, Video games, EPs, Novels, Marvel.....he must be dumping a shit ton of money into this and so far its basically been a 10 year failure. That is pretty ballsy on his part.

I can't fault Tom for having a dream and taking a risk......but he is totally delusional.

He doesn't want AVA to tour clubs? Wait till all this shit goes nowhere and AVA is touring clubs.

Let it never be said that Tom didn't follow his dreams in life.  Whether you like the things he's done or not, he's been following his vision, and my hat goes off to him for that.  It's a bit annoying to be one of the many that sees most of his pursuits (especially those AVA related) as misguided and an unfortunate drain on his time when he could be doing greater things, but at the end of the day, no matter who you are, you have to if possible, do what makes you happy.  If this stupid band with outer space themes and atmosphere coupled with different visual tie-ins (most of them awful, but I can't deny that that animated film looks like it could be really good) is what makes Tom happy, AND he's still willing to make music with blink, I can't be mad at him for it.  I am certainly annoyed by it, and not simply because he's not working on blink, but also because he already proved what a great record he can make on his own with Boxcar Racer.

• Like 1

uhhhhh, i dislike AVA as much as the next guy, but that animated film looks incredible. everything about it looks great. 

I agree, remove yourself from however you feel about AVA, and I don't know how you can look at that trailer and not think that at the very least it could be good.  I mean the animation alone looks fantastic, and the tune in the background sounded like it could be good.  Now could it be a clusterfuck and terrible?  Sure, but it already looks 1000x better than LOVE was, and frankly I can't see anything in the preview that I think looks bad.  I will definitely give the thing an honest chance.  It could suck, but I also think it could be really good.  Never once had such a feeling about the LOVE movie, that thing looked like crap from day 1, and sure enough when I finally saw it, I was not surprised by how poor it was.

• Like 3

So weirdest thing I came across, I was again curious as to Mark's lyrics in the background of Violence (something I've seen a few times, but I always forget what is being said), and I found it again:

A certain look in your eyes, when you open your eyes. 
Who'll stand by your side? 
So watch my eyes, watch 'em turn while you go change. 
Curtains down. 
When all their skill was cut, and I bled. 
There were forces of John Jones. 
I can't make you happy. 
It seems all I ever do is try. 
You could never cut me deep enough to leave a scar. 
So take this gift. 
It's somethin' to save. 

So whatever, thats cool, you've probably seen that before.  But I wanted to find out who John Jones was.  So when I did a search in Google, I came across this:  http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jon-Jones-27944  There is a UFC fighter with the name Jon Jones (sadly Jon is spelled differently between the two), and his next fight is for UFC 182.  Now, I'm no fool, I know this actually means nothing, and its obviously not the John Jones being referred to in the song.  Even still, I just love finding weird coincidences like that in life.  Utterly pointless, but still makes you stop and think for a moment.

uhhhhh, i dislike AVA as much as the next guy, but that animated film looks incredible. everything about it looks great. 

lmao.

terrible graphics, terrible apparent plot, cringeworthy dialogue....it's a cocktail of shit! and that's just the trailer!

the only decent looking thing about it was the graphics of the city in the background, and i've been told that is an obvious ripoff of blade runner.

• Like 1

lmao.

terrible graphics, terrible apparent plot, cringeworthy dialogue....it's a cocktail of shit! and that's just the trailer!

the only decent looking thing about it was the graphics of the city in the background, and i've been told that is an obvious ripoff of blade runner.

If I'm being as objective as possible, then I'm not seeing most of that at all.  First of all I think the graphics look great.  I have a deep appreciation for animation, and I'm quick to call out shitty images and animation when I see it... I'm simply not seeing that here at all.  Next, terrible apparent plot:  I can't dwell on what a plot description is before seeing anything, this is always close minded and often foolish, if you look at many of the best films to have ever been released, and judged them purely by a short description of the plot you'd have thought the movie would be crap, so for now, that's something that I choose to disregard, I have no opinion on the plot at this time.  As for the dialogue, was it cringeworthy?  I haven't seen the preview in a week or so, but nothing about the dialogue seemed particularly grating or bad to me.  Keep in mind, the voice actors are professionals, sure even professionals give poor performances from time to time, but nothing from what I recall stuck out to me as cringe or even bad from the few lines of dialogue we heard.  As I've said its much too early to know if the thing will actually be good or not.  But being as objective as I can be (and I am not a fan of AVA at all, that has been on the record numerous times), I gotta say, the trailer looks promissing.  Could end up terrible, but I can't write it off yet, for as far as I can tell it also could end up being surprisingly great.  I'll definitely give it an honest chance when it is released.

• Like 1

He already made a movie that took a lot more time and cost a lot more than this one and it was a complete and utter piece of shit not worth a second of a persons time.

Based on this knowledge and the fact this movie obviously features as equally as abstract a plot and a silly premise (dream walkers.....really?), there is no reason to think this movie will even be worth a quick watch to see if it's any good. It's just another thing to make fun of. 

I am about 100% confident I will not be eating my words on this. Not even Tom is hyping this movie really. If he thought it was going to be good you know as well as I do he would be saying it's the best movie of all time and will change the face of animation and cinematography. 

He already made a movie that took a lot more time and cost a lot more than this one and it was a complete and utter piece of shit not worth a second of a persons time.

Based on this knowledge and the fact this movie obviously features as equally as abstract a plot and a silly premise (dream walkers.....really?), there is no reason to think this movie will even be worth a quick watch to see if it's any good. It's just another thing to make fun of. 

I am about 100% confident I will not be eating my words on this. Not even Tom is hyping this movie really. If he thought it was going to be good you know as well as I do he would be saying it's the best movie of all time and will change the face of animation and cinematography. 

How about the fact that this actually looks colorful, fast moving, and full of action as opposed to LOVE which had little variation in color, where a guy just sat in space the entire time.  You can't even compare the two.  Sure they have silly premises, but they are very different looking things.  Hard to believe as far as I can see so far that the two ideas even came from the same person.  I understand how much you don't like the band, but really I'm not understand how you can be so sure this will be awful or even comparable to LOVE when we've already seen how drastically different it is.  I'm definitely going to give it a chance, don't see the harm in that, if however, by 5 minutes in I'm not feeling any of it, then yeah, I'll probably turn it off, but honestly I don think I'll be swayed away within 5 minutes, even if its not good, it still looks enticing.

• Like 1

How about the fact that this actually looks colorful, fast moving, and full of action as opposed to LOVE which had little variation in color, where a guy just sat in space the entire time.  You can't even compare the two.

No you can't because at least Love had a cool, believable concept; a guy gets stuck in a space station while the world falls into chaos. Poet is about dream walkers whose souls hover above them as orbs.

No you can't because at least Love had a cool, believable concept; a guy gets stuck in a space station while the world falls into chaos. Poet is about dream walkers whose souls hover above them as orbs.

That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard for or against a movie or book.  Whether or not something is believable has Zero impact for me on how good the medium is.  If it did, then I'd have to say all the Harry Potter books and movies are garbage, as are Lord of The Rings, just about any cartoon involving a talking animal, The Simpsons, I could go on and on.  What garbage of an argument.  If you can only enjoy something because the concept has to be believable, then I feel bad for you.  And as cool of an idea LOVE was, it was executed horribly and was boring as shit.  This could be the most out there crazy weird unbelievable concept ever, but it could still be exciting as shit.

• Like 1