The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Kind of a long rant, but I've been thinking...

It's hard to say, but the TFBYM book really, really made it seem Mark and Tom were best friends and very in sync with what the band was, who they were, and what their roles were. But something happened. The only speculation I can come up with is that Tom honestly looked at his years in blink (the machine it had become), the band that pretty much paraded their juvenilia all over MTV and the media landscape with embarrassment or anguish. Hence why BCR was born and why he wanted to be taken seriously. But it now seems to me that AVA might not of been exactly a plot point until Tom's depression after blink's hiatus. Maybe he did have this grand thing in his head, but maybe the over all point of AVA was to beat blink's massive success and AVA surely had the concept to do it. I recall Tom measuring his fight to the top again early on, so it definitely was on his mind. But Tom Delonge simply is not that talented. AVA was basically him over-compensating his perhaps mistake(s) of ending blink and his biggest friendship ever. He went from basically "I don't want this anymore, I'm quitting music" to "I'm the most relevant artist out there and this band will change music forever" in a year. This 180 is to me is likely not Tom's marketing strategy at play. I honestly think he realized he was squandering his chances in music and opportunities of interest and tried to pull a grand slam while he could.

I think Mark is more down to earth (heh) and saw the band's subtle maturation and eventual evolution as something that would make them way more compelling than Tom's pretentious posturing and eventual madness. The first time I can recall Mark or Tom bickering or even being not so nice was the TOYPAJ recordings where Tom and Mark were being competitive and trying to outdo themselves and each other. Coming off of Tom's lone and biggest hit (All The Small Things), maybe that's where he really tried to grab the gold so to speak. They did it, and then he did it with BCR. Maybe it was a science? Maybe he thought he had the formula down? Not many people can pull off two successful operations and fewer can do it challenging themselves and somewhat pandering all at once.

I sometimes think about the impact of another successful album cycle would of had on them and their legacy. Five straight albums of success would of been quite the achievement and would of propelled them into pretty much rock-canon if they aren't already somewhat there.

Yeah, i dont think much or even any of it was planned. Like ive said before, i think this breakup (with M&T saying Tom was out online) was just a case of them having exhausted every singel other avenue of contacting Tom and finding out what was going on with him. Plus, it was probably very cathartic for them to get it all out in the open for fans and critics etc.

One thing i hope they dont do, is another band-break-up album like +44. dont get me wrong, the +44 album is an absolutely cracking album and was clearly very good for Mark to get his feelings out but it's not needed this time round. It would just feel petty and stupid. Either write/sing about real world stuff or throwaway love songs. No pining over Tom etc.

• Like 1