The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

glad this forum is back. i was like... did it have to go out TODAY of all days?

Then, as if the bolt of Zeus himself beamed light upon the soul of our prepubescent hero, redhotbrianpeppers discovered a magical spell known only as Kazaa. 

kazaa. good times. some nasty-sounding 96kbps MP3's, but good enough for my 2005 ipod nano. haha. where i first began to love blink!

Switching gears w/ an off topic drunk idea: I think it's bound to happen- that at some point in the future, Tom will want to return to blibk. Whether it be him becoming sane, or him running out of money... I think Mark made it clear that he wouldn't mind Tom coming back (if he can get his shit together.) even if it's a farewell tour, I think Mark would fucks with it. Assuming they don't tarnish their relutation greatly over the next few years, I think a farewell tour would be very successful. I think that 90% of us here would agree that a badass farewell tour would feature scott, pre-enema, Travis- post, and tom/ also some Matt, assuming he is "in."

Facebook is seriously pissing me off and I keep on falling for these tombots bait!

Like seriously how are these people proper fans!

Its like explaining evolution to a Christian! You explain all the facts and there like na its not true god made the world its only 2000 years old!

You explain all the facts to the tombots and all you get is fuck you mark and Travis ass lickers stop hating on tom... Its like I'm stating facts I dont give a shit about tom lol

Here's my other reply which got a load of hate ...

It seems the only people bothered about this is the people who love tom...

Proper fans will know the story and not be blind by the weird love for tom lol

Mark wants to play blink songs its his life, tom didn't want to yeh? Fair enough you would say?

No.. Tom promised blink to fans for 3 years , there was meant to be a blink 182 album before the reading festival but tom didn't want to do it.. He then was meant to record in January and said this in an interview in December.

He then quits the band via email, ( apparently did this 3 times) so mark and Travis had enough and fair enough.

Both sides didn't handle this well but hey its been built up over 3 years I find refreshing to hear what actually went down and a bit of honesty from mark and Travis.

Tom was in the wrong and I don't see how most of you ignorant tombots can't see that, he is making a fool of the fans and still is lol

I like angels and airwaves and will listen if he actually records something worth while but he's left blink so you lot need to get over it.

If you seriously think tom now is better than matt skiba in blink now then you really need to watch blinks shows since 2004 and see the that matt can actually play his guitar and sing in tune instead of murdering every song

I just watched part of blink's Reading performance to compare it to their show last night. Holy shit, watch this Violence performance. It is the absolute laziest guitar playing from Tom I've ever seen. Pay attention during the choruses. What the hell.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh4B6klxqvc

Then watch Matt play the song:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY8pdyZaT_k

A part of me still really misses Tom's voice. Even when he sounds terrible. His voice is so distinctly "blink-182" that it's hard to accept another voice. But I love the Skiba videos and can't wait to see performances from the next two shows.

I will always miss Tom from the Blink-182 equation but if his heart isnt in it, why should he be able to drag it down. Mark's heart is fully in it as long as he can commit to actually writing some songs. Matt seem's like he wants to do well but who knows if he wants it permanently or just as touring?

I just watched part of blink's Reading performance to compare it to their show last night. Holy shit, watch this Violence performance. It is the absolute laziest guitar playing from Tom I've ever seen. Pay attention during the choruses. What the hell.

Then watch Matt play the song:

A part of me still really misses Tom's voice. Even when he sounds terrible. His voice is so distinctly "blink-182" that it's hard to accept another voice. But I love the Skiba videos and can't wait to see performances from the next two shows.

Yeh I agree with you but with seeing them both I really miss toms voice for that song now! Toms voice is blink!, I really want matt to join and make new music with blink with his influence, I'm liking the new line up but damn it makes me sad the way toms gone with blink :(

That whole reading 2014 you can see how awkward it is... The show from last night has so much energy and mark seems so happy its a million times better than with tom but the mourning I guess is starting to kick in that the blink I grew up with is finally over ....

I made a comment the other day (before we saw matt play his FIRST show with blink) that if Tom gave a heartfelt apology to Mark and Travis and to the fans that I would rather have Tom than Matt. I take it back. I mean really, how does matt practice for two months and come out in his FIRST crack at it and do better than the seasoned veteran that wrote and recorded those songs??? I have always loved Tom, but he has double crossed me for the last time. I have no respect for the guy anymore. You know what, Matt isn't perfect but at least he truly looks like he has a good time on stage and he TRIES. I respect that. Long live blink-182 with Matt Skiba.

Yeah, I imagine most people are feeling the sentiment stated above.  Of course we all wish blink-182 could have Tom Delonge in it.  But it's clear that the Tom we want in blink more or less doesn't exist anymore, and the current Tom sucks in blink, and he doesn't want to be there anyway.  I'd rather have Matt in there now.  It's not going to be the same, but it wasn't going to be the same anyway. 

The fact of the matter is Matt will only improve, and Tom was only going to disintegrate further.  It was reaching a point where being a blink fan was embarrassing, and it felt wrong to keep supporting blink if that meant supporting Tom.  

I think this will be a new blink-182, but it will still be blink-182.  Tom will be missed, just as he's been missed the past 10 years.  Matt gives blink a chance to move on, play well live, and maybe even record some great music again.  

Also, Mark is still a hero of mine, and I want to see things work out in a way that will allow him to do what he loves.  It's not an ideal situation, but I really think M & T are making the best of it, and for their first show with Matt, this looks like it went great.  

I really love those videos, Matt is doing a good job here. But somehow songs like I miss you, Always and Violence whih are so much Tom, don't work for me with Matt. There is just something missing which is clearly Tom's voice. However, the performance of Dysentery Gary is one of the nest I have ever heard from the band, even better than with Tom!

This is exactly how I feel. Skiba sounds great, but every time the music starts, my brain expects Tom singing!

• Like 1

Well, this is similar to when -as I said in other thread, I think- you break wth your girlfriend (or she with you, doesn't mater). You still miss her, of course but the question is... are you missing her or are you missing something wich was gone long time ago? I mean... mind just plays tricks here. I think it's obvious we ALL miss Tom in the way he was until 2004. But I highly doubt there's someone missing Trainwreck-Tom, milking-and-destroying-blink-from-the-inside-Tom, unpassionate-Tom or whatever he was after the breakup.

That's the point. Some people is missing someone who no longer exists. That people is missing a ghost. And that Tom is not going to be back.

Edit: and as a lot of you have said, this is much better that all the slurred songs we were getting on the past ten years.

I think what it comes down to for me is that I'd rather watch live YouTube videos of the band with Matt Skiba, but I'd rather to go a concert in person with Tom DeLonge. That probably makes no sense, but as bad as Tom always sounded in every video I ever watched, I never thought he sounded bad when I was actually at the concerts. Also the two times I saw blink post-reunion Tom was by far the funnier band member, making loads of stupid jokes and cracking up on stage. It was lots of fun. The sad thing is I think over the years I just grew so accustomed to Tom's voice sounding bad that it didn't really bother me anymore. I knew he sounded bad, and I just accepted it and enjoyed it.

A lot of the songs sound really great with Matt. I think Carousel and Dysentery Gary sounded amazing. In other songs I think Tom's unique voice is such an integral part of the music that hearing those songs with another singer will always sound bad to me. I Miss You will never sound right to me without Tom. Even Tom's shitty slurred live voice feels more "right" to me in I Miss You than Matt's voice.

With that said, overall I think blink-182 sounds really good with Matt Skiba. I support blink with Matt. It's been really exciting watching these videos, and I can't wait to watch videos of the next two shows. I bet these next two shows are going to sound even better. But there's a part of me that I think will always miss having Tom in the band. I really wish the situation wouldn't have been so bad and we would have gotten just one more album with the guy at least.

• Like 2

Exactly. You are stuck on the "funny-dick-jokes-guy" Tom. And when he came to play that role, he reconnected with fans, because otherwise, he hadn't much to offer. That's what I'm talking about. Taking the "ex" example again: when your relationship starts to sink, you got stuck in every single detail that brings you to the moment when things were allright, because that means hope, even if it's false and even if the rest of the moments are harsh and shittier than ever.

If Tom would have improved as singer, for example, or as player... or, fuck it!, even more: if he would stayed as "shittier" as always but still passionate and commited to blink as he used to be, I think we all had forgotten about dick jokes and beig funny and what not. The thing is how he used that side to supply the lack of pressence, passion and commitment when he just didn't want to be in blink.

It all was a mask, a parade.

Edit: "you" is not a personal thing, mate :)

• Like 1